Help Connecting to Proxy

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

Help Connecting to Proxy

Postby yourevilmonkey » 30 Jun 2009, 14:56

Im somewhat new to linux here but here is my problem. I can only connect to dialup in my area and i need to share my internet with my desktop server and my ps3 running yellow dog linux. So I tried everything and came up with a solution. I setup a proxy on my laptop to share the dialup connection to my desktop so I can use certain programs to run that require internet. But I cant figure how to make YDL on my PS3 connect to the proxy.
The connection is perfect as I can setup the proxy in firefox on YDL but I need the entire OS to connect to the proxy.
Heres a model to show my setup:
yourevilmonkey
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Help Connecting to Proxy

Postby CronoCloud » 02 Jul 2009, 09:08

I think I have a simpler solution. Connect the wireless router's WAN port to the laptop, instead of using proxy software have the laptop perform NAT/ICS via it's Ethernet port. bridging the dialup to Ethernet. Then all the Desktop and the PS3 have to worry about is connecting to the router at 192.168.1.1

Or even better.

Put a modem in the desktop, have it run NAT/ICS services, and hook a simple WAP to it's ethernet port for the PS3 and laptop to connect to. Or you can use the router as the WAP if you don't want to buy a WAP.

Ron Rogers Jr. (CronoCloud)
CECHE01 PS3 (MGS4 80GB Bundle) without OtherOS and with an upgraded 320GB HD
Running Fedora 23 on a Compaq Presario CQ5320F upgraded with a Phenom X4 and GT640
Vizio E221A1 22" 1080P TV with HDMI, using 1080P over HDMI
PSN ID: CronoCloudAuron
CronoCloud

Return to Beginner