Starting my linux adventure with YDL on my PS3

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

Starting my linux adventure with YDL on my PS3

Postby philhanson » 03 Jul 2009, 06:36

I'd really like to get in deep with the OS, I'd love some links of where to get started.

Couple things, alot of tutorials seem to assume the user HAS knowledge of linux. For instance it will tell you to go to such and such dir (/etc for instance) but I don't really know how the linux file system is set up. I know / is the base and the dir are set up as branches but I don't know what makes /etc different from well anything else. In essense I want to be able to help OTHERS later on.

I've tried learning many times before but usually some inane config issue or something else frustrates me. My main decision fro running on the PS3 is it's gotta have less hardware issues since everyones PS3 is essentially the same machine. I can work on learning about the OS more than trying to get my screen rez working.
philhanson
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Starting my linux adventure with YDL on my PS3

Postby philhanson » 03 Jul 2009, 06:41

Edit: I am reading this thread first, and the links within.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5200
philhanson
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Starting my linux adventure with YDL on my PS3

Postby ppietro » 03 Jul 2009, 07:09

philhanson wrote:Edit: I am reading this thread first, and the links within.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5200

Specifically - you should start here:

Please READ ME FIRST (known issues, useful links, and help)

As for why directories are laid out like they are in Unix, I did discuss that eons ago. I wonder if I can find it...

Ah yes:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3084&p=11777#p11777

this might be helpful too:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2719&p=9570#p9570

Now - while poking around on your hard disc, you might see a /dev or /proc directory. This is where Unix gets interesting. All I/O on your system - hard disc, mouse, etc. - appears to Unix as part of the file system. That's right - everything that your computer is - CPU, etc. - is part of the Unix filesystem. This is quite different from Windows where this information is abstracted via HAL, stored in the Device Manager hive and/or Registry.

For fun, try this from a terminal window
cat /proc/cpuinfo

A note: It goes without saying, but be very careful when looking at /dev - that's the raw interface to your computer's internals, including hard drive sectors, etc.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Beginner