A little help from a noob. looks like it got bricked

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

A little help from a noob. looks like it got bricked

Postby chaosrhythm » 12 Jul 2009, 03:29

hey guys i need some help with my installation. ok so i managed to place the .iso cd into my ps3 and already began the installation. i see the two penguins and the kboot thing on the screen. im using an hdtv at 1080p but when i try to install it with the command install_ps3_1080p it seems to end up with a long length of weird things and end up freezing. it says:

get memory ranges:1
Warning: Elf Note name is not null terminated
Warning: Elf Note name is not null terminated
Modified cmdline:root=LABEL=/ video=ps3fb:mode:5
segment[0].mem0x422000 memsz:10362880
segment[1].mem:0xe04000 memsz:16384
segment[3].mem:0x7fff000 memsz:4096
ps3-ohci-driver sb_08: remove, state 1
usb usb4: USB disconnect, address 1
usb 2-2: USB disconnect, address 2
ps3-ohci-driver sb_08: USB bus 4 deregistered
ps3-ehci-driver sb_07: remove, state 1
usb usb2: USB disconnect, address 1
usb 2-2L USB disconnect, address 2
os3-ehci-driver sb_07: USB bus 2 deregistered
ps3-ohci-driver sb_06: remove, state 1
usb usb3: USB disconnect, address 1
ps3_ohci-driver sb_06: USB bus 3 deregistered
ps3-ehci-driver sb_05: remove, state 1
usb usb1:USB disconnect, address 1
usb 1-2: USB disconnect, address 2
usb 1-2.1: USB disconnect, address 3
ps3-ehci-driver sb_05: USB bus 1 deregistered

it pretty much freezes and does nothing at this point. i didnt know what to do so i rebooted it and tried to use the command ps3-boot-game-os and enter and the message i got was this:

ps3flash sb_03: ps3flash_read_write_sectors:48: read failed 0x2050000
os_area_header_read:61: read error: os_area_header.
input/output error
main:551: os_area_read_hp error.
ERROR: can't change boot flag

ack i hope i didnt brick it. if it is bricked is there any chance i can get this back since i got a warranty. just wondering. i wanna just bring it back to the way it was. thanks guys
chaosrhythm
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: A little help from a noob. looks like it got bricked

Postby ppietro » 12 Jul 2009, 07:18

It's not bricked.

If you need to temporarily get back to the PS3 GameOS - you can reset the parameter RAM of the PS3 and you'll be back to system defaults.

Here's how to do it. Power it off from the back switch. Power it back on with the back switch. Hold down the front power button - it will beep. Keep holding it down - it will beep again. At this point, your parameter RAM has been reset. Your PS3 should start normally.

As for your Linux install - the very first thing you need to do is verify your ISO downloaded correctly. You need to run a SHA1SUM on the ISO you downloaded. There should be instructions on how to do this in the same directory on the server you downloaded the ISO from.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby chaosrhythm » 12 Jul 2009, 12:40

ah thanks for the help. ive actually tried that as well but i still see the linux screen when i restart.

(added other effort)
i also retried doing the ps3-boot-game-os after doing that as well still no success. any other suggestions i can try?
chaosrhythm
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 12 Jul 2009, 17:54

chaosrhythm wrote:ah thanks for the help. ive actually tried that as well but i still see the linux screen when i restart.

Try holding the front power soft switch down longer. It may beep twice immediately - then 5 seconds later beep again. You need to wait for that delay, then the beep.

Also - if you get a valid Kboot: prompt, you could try entering "game" at that prompt. That's an alternate way of booting to GameOS.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby chaosrhythm » 12 Jul 2009, 17:58

ah got it
it finally worked.

held it down till it beeps 3x then it turns off. held it on 2x and let go and i hear to fast beeps then i saw on my screen 6 options. tried 4 and it now works. thanks guys youre awesome. i think i'l ljust try using the download on your site instead. the one i got it from might be busted.
chaosrhythm
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to Beginner