Auto Logon

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

Auto Logon

Postby Spyhunter » 15 Jul 2009, 08:52

Is there a way to auto logon with the admin or user account at startup?
[PS3: Upgraded 60Gb to 500Gb] / YDL 6.1 / XMB 2.70
> Testing: MAME, Vice, Frodo, UAE, Stella
Spyhunter
ydl lover
ydl lover

Re: Auto Logon

Postby ppietro » 15 Jul 2009, 10:28

Spyhunter wrote:Is there a way to auto logon with the admin or user account at startup?

IT'S AN EXTREMELY BAD IDEA TO AUTOLOGIN WITH THE ADMIN ACCOUNT!! VERY BAD!!!

As for the user account, yes, there is. If you're running Gnome, it's one of the control panels.

I'm away from my PS3 right now - but this sounds about right:
http://www.linfo.org/automatic_login.html

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Spyhunter » 15 Jul 2009, 11:43

ok i hear you about the admin account.

i will have a go at automatic logging following those instructions tonight

thanks for your advice, much appreciated.
[PS3: Upgraded 60Gb to 500Gb] / YDL 6.1 / XMB 2.70
> Testing: MAME, Vice, Frodo, UAE, Stella
Spyhunter
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby xorloser » 17 Jul 2009, 04:23

How can I set it to auto logon if I am using enlightenment?
That link along with the rest of the pages I've read on the net gives details for kde and gnome etc that do not work for enlightenment as they refer to non-existant files.
xorloser
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby xorloser » 17 Jul 2009, 04:53

Ok it seems it does work, just not for the root account.
Yes I know it's a bad idea to login as admin, but I am just mucking around on this PS3 locally.. :P

For anyone else who would like to autologin to a user account using enlightenment:
1) Open a terminal
2) Type: "gedit /etc/gdm/custom.conf"
3) Add the following lines under the [daemon] header, where "username" is the username to autologin as:
[daemon]
AutomaticLoginEnable=true
AutomaticLogin=username
4) Save the file and close gedit.
5) Next time you reboot you will autologin.

I can see how this should be a simple thing that would take someone who knows what they are doing 10 seconds, unfortunately it took me most of a day of reading different pages on it, not realising that my error was due to trying to login as root :P
xorloser
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 17 Jul 2009, 05:11

xorloser wrote:Ok it seems it does work, just not for the root account.
Yes I know it's a bad idea to login as admin, but I am just mucking around on this PS3 locally.. :P

I can see how this should be a simple thing that would take someone who knows what they are doing 10 seconds, unfortunately it took me most of a day of reading different pages on it, not realising that my error was due to trying to login as root :P

It's not a bad idea to login in as root - if you're administering the system. That's what it's for.

NOTE: Red Hat system admin theory is different from Ubuntu/Debian. They prevent logging in as root at all. You have to use sudo for everything. Red Hat/Fedora systems realize there's times when you either need to elevate a terminal session to root, log in a text console as root, or start your whole GUI as root.

It's just a bad idea to autologin as root - and it's a bad idea to use root for your day to day Linux computing - that's all. But - root logins for system administration? Perfectly fine.

And - apparently - Linux prevents root autologin. I didn't realize that they had already thought of that - I assumed it was up to the user not to do that.

xorloser wrote:How can I set it to auto logon if I am using enlightenment?
That link along with the rest of the pages I've read on the net gives details for kde and gnome etc that do not work for enlightenment as they refer to non-existant files.

As for Enlightenment, if you read through the link I posted, you may have noticed a dialog box in Gnome called "gdmsetup". If you run that program from a terminal window in Enlightenment, you could have used the rest of the procedure.

You're not doing anything wrong - gdmsetup modifies the custom.conf file you mentioned. In fact, you're doing it the "Unix" way. :D

YDL uses GDM for the initial login screen to launch both Enlightenment and Gnome. (And any other Window Manager you install like KDE, XFCE, etc.)

By the way - Gnome is already installed on your YDL box, along with Enlightenment. You can select it from the login screen using the Session pick.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby xorloser » 17 Jul 2009, 05:25

I did try running gdmsetup, but it gave some socket connection error and quit after retrying 5 times?!

I don't know what caused this, but after reading your post I tried it again in order to get the exact error message to report back, and of course it worked this time didn't it :P

I don't know why it worked this time and not last time. I have rebooted since last trying it so possibly something was amiss that was corrected upon rebooting. Between this and the no root allowed to autologin, I can't help but feel linux is "messing with the new guy" hehe.
xorloser
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to Beginner