trouble with Airport Extreme firmware set up and wicd.

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

trouble with Airport Extreme firmware set up and wicd.

Postby laureng » 16 Jul 2009, 04:37

Hi,

I'm new to yellow dog linux, and pretty new to linux. I just finished installing YDL on my powerbook G4. Everything worked fine except I'm having trouble setting up my airport extreme. I followed all the instructions here -

http://us.fixstars.com/support/solutions/ydl_6.x/airport-extreme.shtml

I followed all the directions there, and it seemed to go well. One part I was thinking I may not have done correctly was that I got the firmware and installed it while logged in as root, but in the home directory.

This command ---
Code: Select all
 [root@localhost network-scripts]# lspci | grep -i broadcom [ENTER]

(only when i ran it I had not cd'd to "network-scripts" because I couldn't figure out where the network-scripts directory was located, so I was just in home directory.)

returned the following:
Code: Select all
0001:10:12.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g
Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)

Then I proceeded to extract the airport extreme firmware, following the directions. I didn't use su to change to root, because I was already logged in as root. Downloading , extracting , and building seemed to go fine. I preemptively changed permissions on the b43 directory, as the how to suggested. However, when I next tried to launch WICD, which had worked previously, it failed to launch *at all* and I got an error message and log.

The error message was :
"An exit code of 1 was returned from wicd-client --no -tray "

prior to attempting this firmware install, wicd was at least starting, though of course unable to detect any wireless connections. Not sure if i broke it, or it's a coincidence, but now i can't even get it to start. Is there another way to start it, or a command line app to use to test the firmware/ choose a wireless network in lieu of wicd?

many thanks in advance,
lauren
laureng
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: trouble with Airport Extreme firmware set up and wicd.

Postby mburman » 21 Aug 2009, 21:29

I have this exact same scenario on my emac. Any solutions yet?

Mike
mburman
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to Beginner