Fluxbox Window Manager?

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

Fluxbox Window Manager?

Postby Spyhunter » 16 Jul 2009, 09:50

I have read many articles about users using FLUXBOX as their Windows GIU.
Does this replace GNome? And can it be easily installed/uninstalled?

What are the major benefits of using it - although I believe the screen can be widened to full screen (I have a gap left and right side on my 40" Sony Bravia LCD when using Gnome)
[PS3: Upgraded 60Gb to 500Gb] / YDL 6.1 / XMB 2.70
> Testing: MAME, Vice, Frodo, UAE, Stella
Spyhunter
ydl lover
ydl lover

Re: Fluxbox Window Manager?

Postby ppietro » 16 Jul 2009, 10:11

Spyhunter wrote:I have read many articles about users using FLUXBOX as their Windows GIU.
Does this replace GNome? And can it be easily installed/uninstalled?

What are the major benefits of using it - although I believe the screen can be widened to full screen (I have a gap left and right side on my 40" Sony Bravia LCD when using Gnome)

Gnome and Fluxbox are both X Window managers. Gnome is also considered to be a desktop manager - it provides things like drag and drop control and better copy and paste. The GUI system in Linux - X Windows - only knows how to draw to the screen. Any "decorations" - like close boxes, scroll bars, etc. - have to be done by a separate program called a Window Manager.

It doesn't replace Gnome per se - it's just a different option at login - much like you can have Enlightenment, Gnome & KDE all on your system at the same time.

You can read more about window managers and desktop managers here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_window_manager
&
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desktop_ma ... dow_System

Benefits of Fluxbox are a lighter system load - it makes your system appear to be faster. Disadvantages are lack of "Windows"-like functionality - although there are ways around that. Fluxbox is pretty minimal.

There are some pretty good guides to Fluxbox here in our forum. Search will turn up a number of posts that are useful.

In the meantime, you might scope out the screenshots here:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3770&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
Several of these desktops are using Fluxbox.

As for your screen gap, that is probably not due to Gnome. Most likely, you are not using a fullscreen mode for your video. See this post here:
viewtopic.php?t=3524

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Spyhunter » 16 Jul 2009, 10:40

great - thanks.

so it sounds like i can install Fluxbox and switch between the two then. Also you say on logon but what if i'm using automatic logon? Can i set the default.

Also, if I install Fluxbox, will it keep my current Menu's that I have setup?

Sorry for all thw questions - I;m taking a lot in at the moment and reading Stickies and posts all over the place - just asking a direct question as I dhaven't found that answer out yet.

Much appreciated though! :)
Spyhunter
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby ppietro » 16 Jul 2009, 10:55

Spyhunter wrote:great - thanks.

so it sounds like i can install Fluxbox and switch between the two then. Also you say on logon but what if i'm using automatic logon?

That's another reason you shouldn't use automatic logon, then. Besides - why would you want such a security hole on your system? Even though I'm the only user of my PS3 - I still have a logon screen. :)

Spyhunter wrote:Can i set the default.

Yes - I forget where though. Sorry. It might be in a file called .xinitrc that's in your home user directory.

EDIT: Actually - no don't edit .xinitrc. That's only if you're starting X from a text screen. I'd check that Login utility in Gnome again. It might be in there.

Spyhunter wrote:Also, if I install Fluxbox, will it keep my current Menu's that I have setup?

Yes - but that's not the right question.

Here's the deal - since window managers are individual programs - they have individual configurations. One of my favorite window managers is WindowMaker - looks like the old NeXT Cube workstations, and has a very small memory footprint. You have to customize all of the menus by hand - it doesn't understand Gnome or Enlightment configurations.

Let me put it this way - running Fluxbox won't wipe out your Gnome menus. But - it may or may not import them.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Spyhunter » 16 Jul 2009, 11:29

Besides - why would you want such a security hole on your system? Even though I'm the only user of my PS3 - I still have a logon screen.

It's only me using the PS3 so I'm not worried about auto logon security issues.
Also, I want to be able to use it without plugging in a USB Keyboard and Mouse - maybe using the PS3 controller thumb stick for mouse (if app is available) and I have Bluetooth PS3 keyboard that attached itself to PS3 controller - again I got to setup and test!

Let me put it this way - running Fluxbox won't wipe out your Gnome menus. But - it may or may not import them.

Exactly what I was looking for - I don't mind setting up the menus again, just didnt want to lose everything if I have to go back to my original menu system.
I know for memory it is a lot better but is FluxBox worth it just to run Emulators from main menu? I have the menu setup in already just wondered if Fluxbox would be giving me better performance?
Spyhunter
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby bonedome » 16 Jul 2009, 13:03

Hello
just wondered if Fluxbox would be giving me better performance?
In general I'd say not a lot, it certainly boots up almost instantly and has a smaller memory footprint and if you where to put a stopwatch on it, it may well be tenths of a second quicker to respond, but it "feels" quicker and if you've got several applications running at the same time it has a small amount more spare capacity, which on a 256Mb machine can be most handy at times.
I love fluxbox and it's adjustability, it just takes a bit of getting used to.
It won't cost you anything to give it a try :D
60Gb ps3 otheros awol. currently playing:bad company and farcry 2 again (seeing how far I can get using permadeath principle)update: regretfully Warren Clyde was involved in a shootout south of Pala and killed when he was hit by a land rover. RIP Warren
bonedome
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby Spyhunter » 17 Jul 2009, 09:44

thanks that asnwered my question.

much appreciated.
Spyhunter
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby Spyhunter » 23 Jul 2009, 09:12

UPDATE:

I have played about with a variety of Windows GUI type environments and found FluxBox very unuser friendly. It's great if you know what you are doing but I found KDE on my machine as well and this is great - puts the links directly on the Toolbar, etc

I found this very user friendly - is there any reason why this is not talked about as a good GUI?

Don't want to go down that route if not need to - also does Fluxbox have any pre-set configurations - found the whole thing very unuser friendly i'm afraid.
Spyhunter
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby ppietro » 23 Jul 2009, 09:33

Spyhunter wrote:I have played about with a variety of Windows GUI type environments and found FluxBox very unuser friendly. It's great if you know what you are doing but I found KDE on my machine as well and this is great - puts the links directly on the Toolbar, etc

I found this very user friendly - is there any reason why this is not talked about as a good GUI?

Nope - none at all.

KDE is a great Window Manager/Desktop Manager. The only issue with it is the size of the memory footprint on the PS3. Most folks are using Fluxbox to try to get as much free RAM as possible - and they don't mind the associated loss of features.

If KDE works for you - go for it. ^_^ There's nothing wrong with it whatsoever.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Spyhunter » 23 Jul 2009, 09:58

thanks. i do not intend to use linux as a replacement PC, just to run my homebrew and emulators on my ps3... :)

Do you know of any good full screen app launchers - so i could use it as a good menu system? (hell if i find a good one of those I may just sue fluxbox for the memory reason)

or even better the ability to use the ps3 gamepad as the mouse?
Spyhunter
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby Spyhunter » 23 Jul 2009, 10:38

Nevermind I found a KDE App named "QJoypad" which I will download and test tonight and let everyone know.

Just out of interest what is a QT Application?

Can I run GNOME apps on KDE?
Spyhunter
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby ppietro » 23 Jul 2009, 10:39

Spyhunter wrote:or even better the ability to use the ps3 gamepad as the mouse?

Remember what I said about double posting questions? You've already asked this in another place.

Locking this thread.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Beginner