How do I get a window link up via the terminal?

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

Postby Spyhunter » 16 Jul 2009, 09:53

Such as I want to link to etc \ usr folder directly?

Also, can desktops have shortcuts or do all app shortcuts need to go on Main menu?
[PS3: Upgraded 60Gb to 500Gb] / YDL 6.1 / XMB 2.70
> Testing: MAME, Vice, Frodo, UAE, Stella
Spyhunter
ydl lover
ydl lover

Re: How do I get a window link up via the terminal?

Postby ppietro » 16 Jul 2009, 10:04

Spyhunter wrote:How do I get a window link up via the terminal?

Such as I want to link to etc \ usr folder directly?

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking here. Can you explain it clearly?

I think you mean you want some sort of icon that when you double click it, it opens a terminal window already preset to the /etc directory, or /usr directory. Is that right?

In that case, it depends on which window manager/desktop manager you're running. Google is your friend for this.

I have a vague idea how this works - but I don't want to steer you wrong. Personally, I just open up a terminal window, and type cd /etc or cd /usr and get on with it. :D You do that for 20+ years - you don't worry about the desktop shortcuts anymore.

Spyhunter wrote:Also, can desktops have shortcuts or do all app shortcuts need to go on Main menu?

Depends which Window Manager you're running. Some have desktop support, some don't. Gnome does. And Enlightenment on YDL, since it's using Gnome's Nautilus for the Desktop does - but it normally doesn't.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Spyhunter » 16 Jul 2009, 14:44

i actually meant if i was in terminal, how would i get a window to display.

rather than going to etc, usr.... to open the window manually, could this be done directly from the terminal window?
Spyhunter
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby ppietro » 16 Jul 2009, 20:32

Spyhunter wrote:i actually meant if i was in terminal, how would i get a window to display.

rather than going to etc, usr.... to open the window manually, could this be done directly from the terminal window?

Not easily I'm afraid.

Since you're using Gnome - or Enlightenment the way YDL sets it up - then Nautilus is your File Manager. Gnome uses Nautilus to put the icons on the desktop and control the "file" windows, via Gnome's Window Manager called Metacity.

You'd need some way of invoking Nautilus to open a new window in a directory you specify.

Google might be your friend for this.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Spyhunter » 17 Jul 2009, 09:37

thanks that helps.

on another note is there a way to make the windows open in the same window, not open window after window, etc etc

And lastly I have accidently deleted the 'Terminal' link on my main bar - is there a way to get this back (I know I can run terminal by right clicking on the desktop as well) - I have searched everywhere for it but can't see a link.

Whats the exec it uses and then I can create a new link?!
Spyhunter
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby ppietro » 17 Jul 2009, 10:01

Spyhunter wrote:thanks that helps.

on another note is there a way to make the windows open in the same window, not open window after window, etc etc

Middle button mouse double click - or hold the shift key down with your normal mouse double click to open in the same window.

Spyhunter wrote:And lastly I have accidently deleted the 'Terminal' link on my main bar - is there a way to get this back (I know I can run terminal by right clicking on the desktop as well) - I have searched everywhere for it but can't see a link.

Whats the exec it uses and then I can create a new link?!

Are you in Gnome or Enlightenment?

For Enlightenment, Right Click on any of the existing icons, like Firefox or Thunderbird, and pick "Add Application". In the resultant iBar Application menu, you should be able to find Terminal in the left column under Utility.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Spyhunter » 17 Jul 2009, 16:41

thanks - will check tonight - much appreciated.
Spyhunter
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby bonedome » 19 Jul 2009, 01:00

Hello
you need to look for "file browser" in you menu, I've got to say nautilus opening in window after window is just pants :lol:
60Gb ps3 otheros awol. currently playing:bad company and farcry 2 again (seeing how far I can get using permadeath principle)update: regretfully Warren Clyde was involved in a shootout south of Pala and killed when he was hit by a land rover. RIP Warren
bonedome
ydl guru
ydl guru

Return to Beginner