flash player in need of big help!

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

flash player in need of big help!

Postby tommol » 24 Jul 2009, 16:49

i have came across this fourm other day because i couldnt get 6.1 to connect to the internet but with your help it running. but now i have came across a problem. i like to play facebook poker but it asks me to download the latest flash player so i download that and it still dosnt work. could some one please point me in the right direction as i am new to linux thanks Tom
tommol
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: flash player in need of big help!

Postby ppietro » 24 Jul 2009, 21:17

tommol wrote:i have came across this fourm other day because i couldnt get 6.1 to connect to the internet but with your help it running. but now i have came across a problem. i like to play facebook poker but it asks me to download the latest flash player so i download that and it still dosnt work. could some one please point me in the right direction as i am new to linux thanks Tom

Hi Tom,

Unfortunately - you're probably out of luck. (No pun intended!)

Adobe does not have a version of Flash Player for PowerPC Linux.

Adobe does have Flash for Linux - but it's for Intel processors like the x86 or x86_64. Intel code won't work on the PowerPC core of the Cell processor in your PS3.

Adobe also has a version of Flash for PowerPC processors - but it's for MacOS only, which won't run on Linux.

Since Adobe Flash is closed source, we can't re-compile it for PowerPC (ppc) either.

Your only option is to try one of the open source, reverse engineered Flash work-alikes - gnash or swfdec. Gnash 0.8.1 should be available in the standard YDL repositories.

Some of us have built the latest version, Gnash 0.8.5 from scratch. The steps are here:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5641&p=30535#p30402

Be warned, though. Gnash is only partially Flash compatible - they're reverse engineering it from Adobe's specs. It might not work with your site either.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Almatysain » 04 Aug 2009, 13:45

I tried to install gnash 0.8.4 yesterday but I faced some "problems".
First, I tried from a fresh 6.1 install (without dev kits libs selected).
I downloaded gnash 0.8.4 and tried a ./configure, which failed. I installed gcc (to solve the first problem), then mplayer (to get option ffmpeg working on ./configure) and added the good /etc/yum.repos.d/ repos (livna, etc...) to get all the packages i didn't not have to get ./configure working.
Later, i added more packages to get the make command working too.

Then the ./configure worked, and the make command too. But i had many warnings (i don't remember what were the messages, something like "warning... CXX" on each source file during the make operations.

make install, then make install-plugins worked, i don't remember any warning.

Then I tried youtube.com and the embeded object was the usual black screen with the loading circle, which never ends loading.

Did I forget something, the "CXX" thing maybe ?
PSNiD : Almatysain
80Gb PS3 & YDL 6.1
Almatysain
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 04 Aug 2009, 17:51

Almatysain wrote:I tried to install gnash 0.8.4 yesterday but I faced some "problems".
First, I tried from a fresh 6.1 install (without dev kits libs selected).
I downloaded gnash 0.8.4 and tried a ./configure, which failed. I installed gcc (to solve the first problem), then mplayer (to get option ffmpeg working on ./configure) and added the good /etc/yum.repos.d/ repos (livna, etc...) to get all the packages i didn't not have to get ./configure working.
Later, i added more packages to get the make command working too.

Then the ./configure worked, and the make command too. But i had many warnings (i don't remember what were the messages, something like "warning... CXX" on each source file during the make operations.

make install, then make install-plugins worked, i don't remember any warning.

Then I tried youtube.com and the embeded object was the usual black screen with the loading circle, which never ends loading.

Did I forget something, the "CXX" thing maybe ?

You might try Gnash 0.8.5.

Also - make sure that you have these installed:
viewtopic.php?t=3389

(It's an older post, but the data should be correct.)

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Almatysain » 09 Aug 2009, 10:21

According to the links I have all these pakages installed :
gstreamer-plugins-ugly-0.10.5-1.lvn6
gstreamer-plugins-good-0.10.4-2 (mine is 0.10.4-4)
gstreamer-plugins-bad-0.10.3-3.lvn6
gstreamer-python-0.10.7-2
gstreamer-tools-0.10.15-1
gstreamer-0.10.15-1
gstreamer-plugins-base-0.10.9-6

gnash-0.8.1-5.ydl.2
gnash-plugin-0.8.1-5.ydl.2

ffmpeg-0.4.9-0.37.20070503.lvn6
gstreamer-ffmpeg-0.10.2-2.lvn6
ffmpeg-libs-0.4.9-0.37.20070503.lvn6

... then I did :
./configure --enable-gui=gtk --enable-media=ffmpeg --disable-speex --with-plugins-install=system
--> only got warnings
Code: Select all
        WARNING: without --enable-docbook we will use the cached
                 documentation files included in the gnash distribution.
                 If you change files in doc/C, you should --enable-docbook.
        RECOMMENDED: If you install the CURL library, Gnash will be able to
                     display remote content (streaming from URLs) using CURL.
                     Install libcurl from http://curl.haxx.se/libcurl
                     or .deb users: apt-get install libcurl3-dev
                     or .rpm users: yum install curl-devel
        RECOMMENDED: If you install the Speex library, Gnash will be able to
                     decoded Speex encoded audio in FLV files.
                     Install libspeex from http://speex.org
                     or .deb users: apt-get install libspeex-dev
                     or .rpm users: yum install speex-devel
        WARNING: You need to have the Ming development package
                 installed to run most of the tests in Gnash testsuite.
                 Install it from http://www.libming.org/
                 or .deb users: apt-get install libming-dev
        WARNING: You need to have the Ming utilities package
                 installed to run most of the tests in Gnash testsuite.
                 Install it from http://www.libming.org
                 or .deb users: apt-get install libming-util
        WARNING: You need to have the MTASC compiler packages installed
                 to run some of the tests in Gnash testsuite.
                 You can install it from http://mtasc.org
                 or .deb users: apt-get install mtasc
        WARNING: You need to have the HAXE compiler packages installed
                 You can install it from http://haxe.org
                 or .deb users: apt-get install haxe
        WARNING: You need to have the 'swfmill' tool installed
                 You can install it from http://swfmill.org/
                 or .deb users: apt-get install swfmill
        WARNING: You need to have 'swfc' from SWFTools installed
                 You can install it from http://www.swftools.org/
                 or .deb users: apt-get install swftools
        WARNING: You need to have csound installed
                 to have real fun.
                 Install it from http://www.csounds.com/
                 or .deb users: apt-get install csound
                 or .rpm users: yum install csound
        WARNING: You need the dejagnu package installed to get a summary
                 report after running ''make check''
                 Install it from http://www.gnu.org/software/dejagnu/
                 or .deb users: apt-get install dejagnu
                 or .rpm users: yum install dejagnu

Gnash should still compile even with these warnings.
If it doesn't, report the warnings as a bug.

make
make  all-recursive
make[1]: entrant dans le répertoire « /home/Almatysain/Desktop/gnash-0.8.5 »
Making all in libltdl
make[2]: entrant dans le répertoire « /home/Almatysain/Desktop/gnash-0.8.5/libltdl »
make  all-am
make[3]: entrant dans le répertoire « /home/Almatysain/Desktop/gnash-0.8.5/libltdl »
make[3]: Rien à faire pour « all-am ».
make[3]: quittant le répertoire « /home/Matt/Desktop/gnash-0.8.5/libltdl »
make[2]: quittant le répertoire « /home/Matt/Desktop/gnash-0.8.5/libltdl »
Making all in libbase
make[2]: entrant dans le répertoire « /home/Almatysain/Desktop/gnash-0.8.5/libbase »
/bin/sh ../libtool --tag=CXX   --mode=compile g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I..  -DPLUGINSDIR=\"/usr/local/lib/gnash/plugins\" -DSYSCONFDIR=\"/usr/local/etc\" -I../libnet -I../libamf -I../libcore -I../libcore/swf -pthread   -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include         -I../libltdl    -g -O2 -pthread -pthread     -W     -Wall     -Wcast-align     -Wcast-qual     -Wpointer-arith     -Wreturn-type     -Wnon-virtual-dtor     -Wunused      -fvisibility-inlines-hidden -MT libgnashbase_la-curl_adapter.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/libgnashbase_la-curl_adapter.Tpo -c -o libgnashbase_la-curl_adapter.lo `test -f 'curl_adapter.cpp' || echo './'`curl_adapter.cpp
libtool: compile:  g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.. -DPLUGINSDIR=\"/usr/local/lib/gnash/plugins\" -DSYSCONFDIR=\"/usr/local/etc\" -I../libnet -I../libamf -I../libcore -I../libcore/swf -pthread -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -I../libltdl -g -O2 -pthread -pthread -W -Wall -Wcast-align -Wcast-qual -Wpointer-arith -Wreturn-type -Wnon-virtual-dtor -Wunused -fvisibility-inlines-hidden -MT libgnashbase_la-curl_adapter.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/libgnashbase_la-curl_adapter.Tpo -c curl_adapter.cpp  -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/libgnashbase_la-curl_adapter.o
curl_adapter.cpp:54: erreur: redefinition of ‘static std::auto_ptr<gnash::IOChannel> gnash::NetworkAdapter::makeStream(const std::string&, const std::string&, const std::string&)’
curl_adapter.cpp:45: erreur: ‘static std::auto_ptr<gnash::IOChannel> gnash::NetworkAdapter::makeStream(const std::string&, const std::string&, const std::string&)’ previously defined here
curl_adapter.cpp: In static member function ‘static std::auto_ptr<gnash::IOChannel> gnash::NetworkAdapter::makeStream(const std::string&, const std::string&, const std::string&)’:
curl_adapter.cpp:56: erreur: ‘url’ was not declared in this scope
curl_adapter.cpp: In static member function ‘static std::auto_ptr<gnash::IOChannel> gnash::NetworkAdapter::makeStream(const std::string&, const std::string&, const std::map<std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >, std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >, gnash::StringNoCaseLessThan, std::allocator<std::pair<const std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >, std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > > > >&, const std::string&)’:
curl_adapter.cpp:63: erreur: no matching function for call to ‘gnash::NetworkAdapter::makeStream(const std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >&)’
NetworkAdapter.h:50: note: candidats sont: static std::auto_ptr<gnash::IOChannel> gnash::NetworkAdapter::makeStream(const std::string&, const std::string&)
curl_adapter.cpp:45: note:                 static std::auto_ptr<gnash::IOChannel> gnash::NetworkAdapter::makeStream(const std::string&, const std::string&, const std::string&)
curl_adapter.cpp:61: note:                 static std::auto_ptr<gnash::IOChannel> gnash::NetworkAdapter::makeStream(const std::string&, const std::string&, const std::map<std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >, std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >, gnash::StringNoCaseLessThan, std::allocator<std::pair<const std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >, std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > > > >&, const std::string&)
curl_adapter.cpp: At global scope:
curl_adapter.cpp:61: attention : unused parameter ‘postdata’
curl_adapter.cpp:61: attention : unused parameter ‘headers’
curl_adapter.cpp:61: attention : unused parameter ‘cachefile’
make[2]: *** [libgnashbase_la-curl_adapter.lo] Erreur 1
make[2]: quittant le répertoire « /home/Almatysain/Desktop/gnash-0.8.5/libbase »
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Erreur 1
make[1]: quittant le répertoire « /home/Almatysain/Desktop/gnash-0.8.5 »
make: *** [all] Erreur 2

make install
[root@localhost gnash-0.8.5]# make install
Making install in libltdl
make[1]: entrant dans le répertoire « /home/Matt/Desktop/gnash-0.8.5/libltdl »
make  install-am
make[2]: entrant dans le répertoire « /home/Matt/Desktop/gnash-0.8.5/libltdl »
make[3]: entrant dans le répertoire « /home/Matt/Desktop/gnash-0.8.5/libltdl »
test -z "/usr/local/lib" || /bin/mkdir -p "/usr/local/lib"
test -z "/usr/local/include" || /bin/mkdir -p "/usr/local/include"
test -z "" || /bin/mkdir -p ""
make[3]: quittant le répertoire « /home/Matt/Desktop/gnash-0.8.5/libltdl »
make[2]: quittant le répertoire « /home/Matt/Desktop/gnash-0.8.5/libltdl »
make[1]: quittant le répertoire « /home/Matt/Desktop/gnash-0.8.5/libltdl »
Making install in libbase
make[1]: entrant dans le répertoire « /home/Matt/Desktop/gnash-0.8.5/libbase »
/bin/sh ../libtool --tag=CXX   --mode=compile g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I..  -DPLUGINSDIR=\"/usr/local/lib/gnash/plugins\" -DSYSCONFDIR=\"/usr/local/etc\" -I../libnet -I../libamf -I../libcore -I../libcore/swf -pthread   -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include         -I../libltdl    -g -O2 -pthread -pthread     -W     -Wall     -Wcast-align     -Wcast-qual     -Wpointer-arith     -Wreturn-type     -Wnon-virtual-dtor     -Wunused      -fvisibility-inlines-hidden -MT libgnashbase_la-curl_adapter.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/libgnashbase_la-curl_adapter.Tpo -c -o libgnashbase_la-curl_adapter.lo `test -f 'curl_adapter.cpp' || echo './'`curl_adapter.cpp
libtool: compile:  g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.. -DPLUGINSDIR=\"/usr/local/lib/gnash/plugins\" -DSYSCONFDIR=\"/usr/local/etc\" -I../libnet -I../libamf -I../libcore -I../libcore/swf -pthread -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -I../libltdl -g -O2 -pthread -pthread -W -Wall -Wcast-align -Wcast-qual -Wpointer-arith -Wreturn-type -Wnon-virtual-dtor -Wunused -fvisibility-inlines-hidden -MT libgnashbase_la-curl_adapter.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/libgnashbase_la-curl_adapter.Tpo -c curl_adapter.cpp  -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/libgnashbase_la-curl_adapter.o
curl_adapter.cpp:54: erreur: redefinition of ‘static std::auto_ptr<gnash::IOChannel> gnash::NetworkAdapter::makeStream(const std::string&, const std::string&, const std::string&)’
curl_adapter.cpp:45: erreur: ‘static std::auto_ptr<gnash::IOChannel> gnash::NetworkAdapter::makeStream(const std::string&, const std::string&, const std::string&)’ previously defined here
curl_adapter.cpp: In static member function ‘static std::auto_ptr<gnash::IOChannel> gnash::NetworkAdapter::makeStream(const std::string&, const std::string&, const std::string&)’:
curl_adapter.cpp:56: erreur: ‘url’ was not declared in this scope
curl_adapter.cpp: In static member function ‘static std::auto_ptr<gnash::IOChannel> gnash::NetworkAdapter::makeStream(const std::string&, const std::string&, const std::map<std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >, std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >, gnash::StringNoCaseLessThan, std::allocator<std::pair<const std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >, std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > > > >&, const std::string&)’:
curl_adapter.cpp:63: erreur: no matching function for call to ‘gnash::NetworkAdapter::makeStream(const std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >&)’
NetworkAdapter.h:50: note: candidats sont: static std::auto_ptr<gnash::IOChannel> gnash::NetworkAdapter::makeStream(const std::string&, const std::string&)
curl_adapter.cpp:45: note:                 static std::auto_ptr<gnash::IOChannel> gnash::NetworkAdapter::makeStream(const std::string&, const std::string&, const std::string&)
curl_adapter.cpp:61: note:                 static std::auto_ptr<gnash::IOChannel> gnash::NetworkAdapter::makeStream(const std::string&, const std::string&, const std::map<std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >, std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >, gnash::StringNoCaseLessThan, std::allocator<std::pair<const std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >, std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > > > >&, const std::string&)
make[1]: *** [libgnashbase_la-curl_adapter.lo] Erreur 1
make[1]: quittant le répertoire « /home/Matt/Desktop/gnash-0.8.5/libbase »
make: *** [install-recursive] Erreur 1

then make install-plugins and it shows up in about:plugins in Firefox :
Shockwave Flash
Nom de fichier : libgnashplugin.so
Shockwave Flash 9.0 r999. Gnash 0.8.5, the GNU SWF Player. Copyright © 2006, 2007, 2008 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
Gnash comes with NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. You may redistribute copies of Gnash under the terms of the GNU General Public License. For more information about Gnash, see http://www.gnu.org/software/gnash. Compatible Shockwave Flash 9.0 r999.
Type MIME    Description    Suffixes    Autorisé
application/x-shockwave-flash    Shockwave Flash    swf    Oui

Then I tried on Youtube and got the same : the loading black screen with the loading circles, but that never stops.
Any ideas ?
PSNiD : Almatysain
80Gb PS3 & YDL 6.1
Almatysain
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby bonedome » 10 Aug 2009, 23:42

Hello
make[2]: *** [libgnashbase_la-curl_adapter.lo] Erreur 1
you need curl as recommended, note the line (streaming from URLs) using CURL.
 RECOMMENDED: If you install the CURL library, Gnash will be able to
                     display remote content (streaming from URLs) using CURL.
                     Install libcurl from http://curl.haxx.se/libcurl
                     or .deb users: apt-get install libcurl3-dev
                     or .rpm users: yum install curl-devel
also if you build and install the latest speex you won't need to disable it, it's pretty simple and quick compared to building gnash.
One word of warning don't get your hopes up too high, I still use vlc for youtube it's much smoother and uses less memory :D
60Gb ps3 otheros awol. currently playing:bad company and farcry 2 again (seeing how far I can get using permadeath principle)update: regretfully Warren Clyde was involved in a shootout south of Pala and killed when he was hit by a land rover. RIP Warren
bonedome
ydl guru
ydl guru

Return to Beginner