Controller Help?!

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

Controller Help?!

Postby cosmo » 02 Aug 2009, 18:27

I've just installed version 6.2 and for love nor money can I get the sixaxis controller working...

Being new to linux, I followed this guide http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/2/23/813212/yellowdoglinux.txt and found it quite useful.

I updated the repo's to the one's on this site rather than that guide.

The problem lies with connecting my Sixaxis though.

when i type yum install bluez-libs it says "Finished" - but doesn't bring up the prompt. I waited about 20 mins last night thinking that the prompt should
come up when it has completed the install, as it does with everything else i've installed.

I've tried the add/remove GUI as well but it just hangs when I try to install it...

According to the guide (and this one http://pleasantfiction.ipower.com/bodega/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=16 I have to stop the hidd service, then
type hidd --server --nocheck -n and press the PS button on the controller.

It should come up with new hid device but it doesn't.

Anyone see where I'm going wrong please, it's driving me crazy!

(Also, another a quick noobie question, everywhere I read says that when I type "su -l" I have to enter my root password, but it never prompts me too, is
this cos I only have 1 user on it?)

EDIT: I have another controller which is an unofficial one, it's wireless and you have to plug a dongle into the USB port, will this one be any easier to set up than
the official sony controller?
Thanks in advance for any help!
cosmo
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Controller Help?!

Postby ppietro » 02 Aug 2009, 19:08

cosmo wrote:I've just installed version 6.2 and for love nor money can I get the sixaxis controller working...

Yes - currently there's an issue with the Bluetooth driver for the PS3 in YDL 6.2. No bluetooth devices - including your contoller - appear to work.

cosmo wrote:(Also, another a quick noobie question, everywhere I read says that when I type "su -l" I have to enter my root password, but it never prompts me too, is
this cos I only have 1 user on it?)

Yes - you're using the root user account for your general purpose computing - which you shouldn't do. You want to log in as root user for system administration functions only. Mainly - this is for security reasons - if your session gets hijacked while you're logged in as root user, the hijacker has complete power over your Linux box. You want to create a standard user account, and temporarily switch to root user via su -l as necessary. It's just safer that way.. :D

cosmo wrote:EDIT: I have another controller which is an unofficial one, it's wireless and you have to plug a dongle into the USB port, will this one be any easier to set up than the official sony controller?

Not easier per se - it's just liable to work since Bluetooth isn't. :D

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Controller Help?!

Postby cosmo » 02 Aug 2009, 22:52

Thanks for the reply Paul

At least I know now that it's a known issue and not something I was doing! :P
cosmo
ydl newbie