YDL6.2-Bittorrent/Flash

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

YDL6.2-Bittorrent/Flash

Postby ravenous420 » 03 Aug 2009, 11:31

Hey there, i'm currently trying to figure out how to install transmission. i have no idea what i'm doing but i'm a trooper...
anyways so far i've gone to the transmission website, downloaded the file to my desktop, extracted the files and then opened the folder of-which i extracted in terminal. afterwhich i typed ./config, and then it loads up and eventually i recieved an error. i can't remember exactly what it said but basically the instructions to install state my next step is to type ./make -s
and when i do it says theres no such directory... please help.

on another note i am trying to install adobe flash on my os, which is ydl 6.2 and all i know of it, i goto the flash website and get a few linux download choices, ofwhich i think i am correctly downloading the YUM linux model of flash, however it doesn't work... can anybody tell me step by step what to do?

i'm right out the cereal box new to linux i just know a few basic codes from msdos from back in the 90's... i'd really appreciate the time.
80GB PS3 YDL6.2 on a 13" SD 480i - Worlds Smallest Television lol
ravenous420
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: YDL6.2-Bittorrent/Flash

Postby ppietro » 03 Aug 2009, 11:41

ravenous420 wrote:on another note i am trying to install adobe flash on my os, which is ydl 6.2 and all i know of it, i goto the flash website and get a few linux download choices, ofwhich i think i am correctly downloading the YUM linux model of flash, however it doesn't work... can anybody tell me step by step what to do?

Adobe doesn't have a Linux version of Flash for the PowerPC processor you're using on your PS3. None of their versions will work. Since Adobe is closed source, we can't compile one for PowerPC either.

Our only alternative is a couple of open source, reverse engineered Flash work-alike clones - gnash & swfdec.

I belive Gnash is installed by default. You can check that in Add/Remove Software.

As for installing transmission, it sounds like you're compiling from source. I would try this first:

Howto: Install software (the easy way) YDL 6

If you set up your repositories correctly, I believe transmission should be available via Add/Remove Software.

Oh yeah - we probably haven't updated it for 6.2 yet. Don't change the URLs in the yellowdog-base, yellowdog-update, & yellowdog-extras repos. You still need to add yum-protectbase per the instructions. Just don't worry if the contents of those three repos don't exactly match what's in the guide.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Beginner