Help with installing America's Army 2.5

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

Help with installing America's Army 2.5

Postby SHOGUN OF SAIDO » 26 Aug 2009, 22:07

[MODERATOR EDIT: Changing the post title so that folks have a better idea of what this thread is about -Paul]

Hello readers,

I want to install America's Army 2.5 Linux on my PS3 which uses YDL6.2
Of course I searched the internet before I started to post here about this install regarding the needed steps and proper file downloads to succeed.
The install file is named: armyops250linux.run and is executable.

However, nothing I try seems to work...

I tried numerous 'sudo' commands:
* sksudo
* sudo
* sudo sh
* su

I tried numerous 'chmod' commands:
* sudo chmod
* chmod 755
* chmod u+x
* chmod a+x

The bad thing is IMO that this all does the same and does not give me any different results.
But I'll show you how I set up my most used install command and what it looks like in the terminal:
Root# cd /home/shogun/Downloads/
Root Downloads# sudo chmod a+x armyops250linux.run
Root Downloads# sudo ./armyops250linux.run

This does work...BUT,
Although it passes the check for:
[1] Verifying archive integrity......all good
[2] Uncompressing America's Army for GNU/Linux 2.5.0......
[3] Second stage unpacker.......
[4] Starting actual installer.....
<<<<<<<<<<<<<< HERE IS WHERE IS STOPS

Thats right, after step 4, it just seems to cut-off the installation progress by jumping out of the terminal and by NOT starting some sort of actual installer...
I tried re-downloading the armyops250linux.run file from a different website to see if the other one may have been damaged, but with the same results...

I tried to get this work for the past 8 hours none-stop trying every possible installation sequence I could find on the internet but with no results.
The other thing I tried was to use the 'AA-25Deploy-Linux' file to work but all I got in return was the same dreaded error:
* Unable to read binary file

I really hope you guys and girls can help me out on this because I am just fed-up with it right now... :(
SHOGUN OF SAIDO
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: PLEASE READ and help me sort this out :(

Postby ppietro » 26 Aug 2009, 22:54

SHOGUN OF SAIDO wrote:I want to install America's Army 2.5 Linux on my PS3 which uses YDL6.2

Sorry - that won't work on your PS3. It's for Intel (x86) processors with 3D video support (via hardware OpenGL). Your PS3 has a PowerPC (ppc) processor with a simple framebuffer display (software OpenGL).

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby SHOGUN OF SAIDO » 27 Aug 2009, 00:11

ppietro wrote:
SHOGUN OF SAIDO wrote:I want to install America's Army 2.5 Linux on my PS3 which uses YDL6.2

Sorry - that won't work on your PS3. It's for Intel (x86) processors with 3D video support (via hardware OpenGL). Your PS3 has a PowerPC (ppc) processor with a simple framebuffer display (software OpenGL).

Cheers,
Paul

o.0 crap...
But why would it not enter the installer?
I mean, I would get the message when the game gives me an error when it is installed and run, still a huge bummer :|

LoL, I thought Linux == Linux no matter on what platform it runs... :roll:
But how do I know what games I can install and what not, besides the snes/sega/etc emulators?

Can I play quake and perhaps an old version of some flightsimulator?
Were is the limit?
SHOGUN OF SAIDO
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 27 Aug 2009, 01:07

SHOGUN OF SAIDO wrote:o.0 crap...
But why would it not enter the installer?
I mean, I would get the message when the game gives me an error when it is installed and run, still a huge bummer :|

So - I haven't downloaded that particular file, but "executables" on Linux don't necessarily have to be binary files. In this case, the installer is most likely a "mixed" file. It contains a text-based bash shell script with a packed binary. The shell script would run on any platform, but after it unpacks the binary, it would fail on the transition to the next step to run the binary installer, since it's Intel, not PowerPC.

LoL, I thought Linux == Linux no matter on what platform it runs... :roll:

Nope. Welcome to Linux. Enjoy your stay. :D

But how do I know what games I can install and what not, besides the snes/sega/etc emulators?

Here's some notes:

1. If any game requires hardware 3D acceleration, it won't work on the PS3 - regardless of processor architecture. We do not have hardware accelerated OpenGL - the display is a simple framebuffer.

2. If any game or part of the file contains the words "i386", "i586", "x86", "x86_64", etc. - they won't work since they contain Intel binaries. You need to look for the words "ppc", "ppc32" or "ppc64" - those are PowerPC binaries.

3. Some Intel games can be run on x86 Linux via a Windows library loader called WINE. Unfortunately, WINE does not work on PowerPC machines like the PS3. So - games that require WINE won't work. :(

• If the game is old enough, and the requirements are light enough, you can run a program called QEMU that can be used to emulate older versions of Windows running on an x86 processor on your PS3. However - this is very slow - performance is roughly equal to a Pentium 70. (70 MHz).
  4. If you've set up your repositories correctly, you can download PowerPC binaries directly via Add/Remove Software. Most of these will run as is - unless the application breaks the First point above.

5. You can always check a binary file from the terminal window by using the file command.

• Output would look like this for a file you can't run:
      Code: Select all
      [paulp@localhost bin]$ file ps
      ps: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), for GNU/Linux 2.6.9, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.9, stripped
      [paulp@localhost bin]$
  6. Some Linux programs are distributed as source code archives. You would build the executable files on your system using the C compiler gcc, the Unix linker ld, etc. As long as you can find the necessary libraries - and the program doesn't break the First note above - you can run them after you build them.

Can I play quake and perhaps an old version of some flightsimulator?
Were is the limit?

Others can answer this better than me - I don't use Linux for gaming. :D

There's starter information here:
Games that work well in YDL on PS3
FPS Gaming on YDL6 for PS3

And a lot of good information here:
Please READ ME FIRST (known issues, useful links, and help)

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Pretty mutch sorted out now THX

Postby SHOGUN OF SAIDO » 27 Aug 2009, 11:40

ppietro wrote:
SHOGUN OF SAIDO wrote:LoL, I thought Linux == Linux no matter on what platform it runs... :roll:

Nope. Welcome to Linux. Enjoy your stay. :D

:mrgreen:
SHOGUN OF SAIDO
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to Beginner