frustrated new ps3 6.1 user help me plz

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

frustrated new ps3 6.1 user help me plz

Postby I_AM_EVIL » 27 Aug 2009, 21:04

I installed 6.1 and have had problems from the start. I just got my sound to work for cd's now and trying to advance to movie files (web and DVD) but some how I just dont get it. I have tried to follow how to's but none seem to work for me.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-to-E ... 1664.shtml

and

http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-to-I ... 8076.shtml

but for some reason neither work like I thought it would. I see the VLC app, but my DVD does not play. I goto youtube, but the videos dont play. I downloaded and installed UnPlug and downloaded the videos from youtube, but it opens them in Totem and says I dont have the right codecs.

Any advice short of just go back to playing games on PS3 and leave us alone would be nice. I am brand new to the Linux world, but am a novice who fixes other peoples problems in Windows. So I am starting to get a feel of it, but still have a lot of trouble. Thanks for your time and help.
I_AM_EVIL
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: frustrated new ps3 6.1 user help me plz

Postby ppietro » 28 Aug 2009, 00:40

I_AM_EVIL wrote:I installed 6.1 and have had problems from the start. I just got my sound to work for cd's now and trying to advance to movie files (web and DVD) but some how I just dont get it. I have tried to follow how to's but none seem to work for me.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-to-E ... 1664.shtml

and

http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-to-I ... 8076.shtml

but for some reason neither work like I thought it would. I see the VLC app, but my DVD does not play. I goto youtube, but the videos dont play. I downloaded and installed UnPlug and downloaded the videos from youtube, but it opens them in Totem and says I dont have the right codecs.

Any advice short of just go back to playing games on PS3 and leave us alone would be nice. I am brand new to the Linux world, but am a novice who fixes other peoples problems in Windows. So I am starting to get a feel of it, but still have a lot of trouble. Thanks for your time and help.

Okay - first - stop using softpedia. To the best of my knowledge, we don't support them, nor do I recommend them for YDL in *any* way. I've never contributed anything to their site - everything you need should be here on our board.

For VLC, if you setup your repositories according to OUR guidelines here:
Howto: Install software (the easy way) YDL 6

then it's a simple matter to type yum install vlc from a terminal window and YUM will take care of the rest. We list exactly how to do that in the next step:
Commonly Installed Software

Be aware that commercial encrypted DVDs won't play using the internal drive of your PS3. There is a hypervisor lockout that prevents that. Unencrypted DVDs should playback just fine.

Once you get the fedora-extras, livna & dribble repositories added, you should install gstreamer-plugins-ugly and gstreamer-plugins-bad via Add/Remove Software. That should enable Totem to handle many different filetypes.

For Flash - well - that's a different story. I've just gone over the whole thing here:
6.2 firefox shockwave/flash plugins

Basically - the guide you're using won't work. There is no Adobe Flash for the PS3. Adobe does not support PowerPC Linux - -only Intel (x86) Linux. Nor are they open source - so we can't compile our own.

Your best option is to run a reverse-engineered, open source version of Flash called Gnash - but it's buggy, bloated and slow. It should already be installed by default for YDL 6.1.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby bonedome » 28 Aug 2009, 19:22

Hello
for youtube see here viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4439 :D I prefer vlc myself and the mtube script seems to be out of date, to try mplayer get the user script hqtube
60Gb ps3 otheros awol. currently playing:bad company and farcry 2 again (seeing how far I can get using permadeath principle)update: regretfully Warren Clyde was involved in a shootout south of Pala and killed when he was hit by a land rover. RIP Warren
bonedome
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby I_AM_EVIL » 28 Aug 2009, 20:22

thanks so much for you reply. I am going to try all that right now, and will stay away from softpedia in the future. I just did a google search and it was one of the top finds. I hope I didnt mess up anything lol.
I_AM_EVIL
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 28 Aug 2009, 21:36

I_AM_EVIL wrote:thanks so much for you reply. I am going to try all that right now, and will stay away from softpedia in the future. I just did a google search and it was one of the top finds. I hope I didnt mess up anything lol.

Probably not. I just don't know how up-to-date their information is. Whereas here, I know it's up-to-date - because I update it! :D

The nice thing about our forum articles is that they're all peer reviewed. If we post something, everyone looks at it and comments on it - yay or nay. I try to keep up with those comments in my documents as much as possible - I think it makes them much more useful.

It's kind of a light Wikipedia model, if you will. :D

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby bonedome » 31 Aug 2009, 22:03

Hello
I don't think we should discount softpedia out of hand, just view the site in a different way, like a shop window, as a yellowdog linux guide it is most definitely to be avoided, but for general linux software you might find some great little gems you'd never find otherwise, you're probably better off checking out what's on offer when you've gained a bit of compiling experience (then visiting the source website) especially as just about everything is source code only.
I've got nothing to do with softpedia but I have found some great little scripts and other software, using it more as a library if you like
60Gb ps3 otheros awol. currently playing:bad company and farcry 2 again (seeing how far I can get using permadeath principle)update: regretfully Warren Clyde was involved in a shootout south of Pala and killed when he was hit by a land rover. RIP Warren
bonedome
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby ppietro » 31 Aug 2009, 22:48

bonedome wrote:Hello
I don't think we should discount softpedia out of hand, just view the site in a different way, like a shop window, as a yellowdog linux guide it is most definitely to be avoided, but for general linux software you might find some great little gems you'd never find otherwise, you're probably better off checking out what's on offer when you've gained a bit of compiling experience (then visiting the source website) especially as just about everything is source code only.
I've got nothing to do with softpedia but I have found some great little scripts and other software, using it more as a library if you like

All I know is that I'm tired of explaining to folks why YDL doesn't work right after they've set it up according to softpedia. :lol:

I have nothing against softpedia per se - but, in the long run, it's creating more work for me as a YDL board Site Admin, since they don't really update their information that often. I'd be a lot happier with them if they just sent users to our site. :D

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Beginner