about gnash 0.8.4

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

about gnash 0.8.4

Postby MJ-X » 04 Sep 2009, 11:37

hey how everybody doing i'm new on here and new to linux and i been tried to find out when gnash 0.8.4 coming out i haven't heard anything about it i heard about build Gnash 0.8.5 from source but i don't understand how to do that very will but if someone can explain it in great detail about how to do it i will appreciated it so but i really like to know when gnash 0.8.4 coming out to the Add/Remove Software or even better 0.8.5 ?
Last edited by MJ-X on 11 Sep 2009, 09:30, edited 2 times in total.
MJ-X
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: about gnash 0.9.4

Postby bonedome » 04 Sep 2009, 13:14

Hello
you mean 0.8.5 right, there's a rough guide here viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5641 it assumes you know a bit about compiling, if you're new to linux you might want to wait for an "official" release, don't get your hopes too high though.
If it's youtube or gametrailers you're after see viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4439 :D
60Gb ps3 otheros awol. currently playing:bad company and farcry 2 again (seeing how far I can get using permadeath principle)update: regretfully Warren Clyde was involved in a shootout south of Pala and killed when he was hit by a land rover. RIP Warren
bonedome
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby ivienthol » 06 Sep 2009, 00:09

I read the 0.8.5 thread and don't understand what to do. Can someone give a step by step newbie guide on how to update to 0.8.5? It's the only thing left I have yet to do on my PS3. :) Thanks.
ivienthol
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 06 Sep 2009, 03:44

ivienthol wrote:I read the 0.8.5 thread and don't understand what to do. Can someone give a step by step newbie guide on how to update to 0.8.5? It's the only thing left I have yet to do on my PS3. :) Thanks.

Sorry - at this point, it's not really for newbies. You have to build it from source code. If you're not comfortable with that - i.e. you read the post and it didn't make much sense - you're better off waiting for the official RPM installer version.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MJ-X » 11 Sep 2009, 09:10

thanks for letting me know about this i hope i can get this working
MJ-X
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: about gnash 0.8.4

Postby bonedome » 11 Sep 2009, 13:25

Hello
for those of you determined to get gnash-0.8.5 working have a read of this first viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4800 and then viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5641
There are lots of dependencies and their development packages and it takes a long time to make so patience, coffee and don't start at 1 in the morning :lol: .
Oh yeah just remembered, if you download,build and install the latest version of speex you won't need to disable it.
I found out 0.8.5 will play megavideo (thousands of tv shows, sometimes via other websites like ninjavideo) as they're still using flash 8, it's blocky and stutters in full screen (which I put down to lack of ram and gnash/swf being a huge consumer of memory) but is clear as a bell windowed :D
Don't get your hopes up for sites using flash 9 or 10 they just won't work (adobe just keep moving the goalposts :x I just don't get it, closed source and free, what have they got to hide ?), you're best off using the game browser for them
60Gb ps3 otheros awol. currently playing:bad company and farcry 2 again (seeing how far I can get using permadeath principle)update: regretfully Warren Clyde was involved in a shootout south of Pala and killed when he was hit by a land rover. RIP Warren
bonedome
ydl guru
ydl guru

Return to Beginner