How to start applications automatically at startup?

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

How to start applications automatically at startup?

Postby DerXylakant » 13 Sep 2009, 11:40

First, hello to everyone. This is my first posting here.

I'm glad to tell that I'm using Yellow Dog 6.2 on my PS3 using a BT keyboard from Logitech right now. (thanks to billb for designing a custom kernel by the way ;)

Just like the headline already says, I've got problems starting applications (evolution, pidgin) on startup. I've already read many postings with regard to this topic (even within this board), but I can't work it out myself.

Does anybody already managed this one? Using Ubuntu, this wasn't a problem at all. But many suggestions solving the problem using different distros didn't match to Yellow Dog. :(

Help appreciated! Thanx in advance.
DerXylakant
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: How to start applications automatically at startup?

Postby bonedome » 13 Sep 2009, 21:29

Hello
I use fluxbox which is highly configurable and by adding lines to my startup file can have apps automatically run.
In the file ~/.fluxbox/startup I could have just about anything, here's an example
Code: Select all
/usr/local/bin/conky & /usr/local/bin/pidgin & exec /usr/bin/fluxbox
If you're using gnome, E17, kde or xfce I guess there's a startup script somewhere but I'm sorry I can't be of much assistance with those desktops.
ok just took a quick look round, according to this http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=510932 the startup scripts are in /etc/rc.local, here's what mine looks like
Code: Select all
#!/bin/sh
#
# This script will be executed *after* all the other init scripts.
# You can put your own initialization stuff in here if you don't
# want to do the full Sys V style init stuff.

touch /var/lock/subsys/local
not sure what you'd put in there, maybe something like exec pidgin ? let us know how you get on, it says the script will be executed "after" all the other init scripts so should be safe to experiment.
60Gb ps3 otheros awol. currently playing:bad company and farcry 2 again (seeing how far I can get using permadeath principle)update: regretfully Warren Clyde was involved in a shootout south of Pala and killed when he was hit by a land rover. RIP Warren
bonedome
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby DerXylakant » 14 Sep 2009, 22:40

hi bonedome,

thank you for trying to help. unfortunately I already tried editing the rc.local before without solving the problem. as I've noticed thar fluxbox is a completely different window manager I don't want to go this way (not at least because I'm convinced that there must be an easier way using gnome too; some sort of startup script). unfortunately I didn't find one.

does anybody else has got an idea?
DerXylakant
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby DerXylakant » 18 Oct 2009, 21:23

sorry, but I try pushing this thread..
DerXylakant
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby DerXylakant » 19 Oct 2009, 17:28

Now I found the solution myself.

Anybody who might have the same problem, try: (in german)

Konfiguration -> Konfigurationskonsole -> Anwendungen -> Autostartanwendungen

Now I will try to find out how to start these applications minimized..
DerXylakant
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to Beginner