How to Boost YDL Performance in PS3

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

How to Boost YDL Performance in PS3

Postby yolax » 16 Sep 2009, 07:13

Hi i just successfully installed YDL 6.2 in my PS3 today & found that it runs not so fast there's is always a bit of delay when opening an applications, not what i expected & read about it.

I found this "How to Use Flash memory for swap space on a PS3" in fixtars Website
http://us.fixstars.com/support/solution ... -mem.shtml

I'm not sure about this, coz my PS3 dosn't have a sd card slot, i only have a 2 slot USB, i'm not sure if i could use an adopter with sd slot to use this how to.

Please help! i'm a newbe in linux.
yolax
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: How to Boost YDL Performance in PS3

Postby ppietro » 16 Sep 2009, 08:37

yolax wrote:Hi i just successfully installed YDL 6.2 in my PS3 today & found that it runs not so fast there's is always a bit of delay when opening an applications, not what i expected & read about it.

I found this "How to Use Flash memory for swap space on a PS3" in fixtars Website

I'm not sure about this, coz my PS3 dosn't have a sd card slot, i only have a 2 slot USB, i'm not sure if i could use an adopter with sd slot to use this how to.

Yeah - don't do that. YDL 6.2 already has support to use unused video RAM as swap space. That is on by default. You don't need to add the Flash swap support - it's overkill for swap space.

The first thing to do is try Gnome. It's already installed on your YDL system. From the login menu, select the Sessions menu, and pick Gnome.

Many users install Fluxbox. It has a smaller memory footprint, and can be quite snappy, if you don't mind the loss of functionality:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3546

Be aware that there will always be some inherent lag. We do not have access to accelerated 2D or 3D video - the PS3 hypervisor locks out the nVidia RSX chip to Linux programs. All PS3 Linuxes - including YDL - must use a simple framebuffer display. This framebuffer is CPU controlled - running on the PPE core of the Cell. The PPE is a moderately fast, single core, dual threaded, in-order microprocessor.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby yolax » 16 Sep 2009, 10:57

Thanks Paul for the advice.
yolax
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby bonedome » 16 Sep 2009, 13:01

Hello
have a read of this viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3497&start=0 for some good tips
also when you first install, ydl does a process called makewhatis (basically it's creating all the man pages) it takes a long time and a lot of memory.
If you type top into the terminal you can see what's running
60Gb ps3 otheros awol. currently playing:bad company and farcry 2 again (seeing how far I can get using permadeath principle)update: regretfully Warren Clyde was involved in a shootout south of Pala and killed when he was hit by a land rover. RIP Warren
bonedome
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby holabola » 18 Sep 2009, 15:29

Hi,

I installed YDL 6.2 in PS3 and it was a success. I connected a external hard drive to play a dvd rip file (mp4 / avi - good resolution) on the VLC media player and the picture was grainy. Is this because of the reason you have mentioned about the nvdia card locked by the hypervisor. If so, How can I get a dvd quality video when playing on VLC?

Thanks,
Anand

ppietro wrote:
yolax wrote:Hi i just successfully installed YDL 6.2 in my PS3 today & found that it runs not so fast there's is always a bit of delay when opening an applications, not what i expected & read about it.

Yeah - don't do that. YDL 6.2 already has support to use unused video RAM as swap space. That is on by default. You don't need to add the Flash swap support - it's overkill for swap space.

The first thing to do is try Gnome. It's already installed on your YDL system. From the login menu, select the Sessions menu, and pick Gnome.

Many users install Fluxbox. It has a smaller memory footprint, and can be quite snappy, if you don't mind the loss of functionality:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3546

Be aware that there will always be some inherent lag. We do not have access to accelerated 2D or 3D video - the PS3 hypervisor locks out the nVidia RSX chip to Linux programs. All PS3 Linuxes - including YDL - must use a simple framebuffer display. This framebuffer is CPU controlled - running on the PPE core of the Cell. The PPE is a moderately fast, single core, dual threaded, in-order microprocessor.

Cheers,
Paul
holabola
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 18 Sep 2009, 17:17

holabola wrote:I connected a external hard drive to play a file (mp4 / avi - good resolution) on the VLC media player and the picture was grainy. Is this because of the reason you have mentioned about the nvdia card locked by the hypervisor. If so, How can I get a dvd quality video when playing on VLC?

You didn't say if you were playing it fullscreen or not.

Generally, the rule of thumb is: any pixel size greater than DVD (720x480) 1:1 is going to have issues. With the framebuffer display, it can be difficult to upscale - especially if you're upscaling to 1080p resolution.

If the file is DivX, you might consider using the PS3's GameOS to playback the file. They've made great strides in compatibility lately.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Beginner