source to download!

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

source to download!

Postby smith2287 » 12 Oct 2009, 08:26

Hi everyone!
from where i can download yellow dog linux distribution? :)
Last edited by smith2287 on 23 Oct 2009, 05:30, edited 1 time in total.
smith2287
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: source to download!

Postby billb » 12 Oct 2009, 11:09

PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby stephenhope » 23 Nov 2009, 13:04

billb wrote:http://www.ydl.net/support/downloads/

Thanks I was finding for it from many days!!
anthony morrison
stephenhope
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby rubecscubed » 05 Feb 2010, 10:11

wuzup ppl. i just started to download the iso into my p.c. i'm doing one in my documents and one on a usb flash stic. will i be able to use the stic to download into my ps3? i'm new to all of this, and want to see if i can do this. i'm downloading the 6.0 version, since it came out in 08 as did my ps3. does it matter or should i just get the newest version? thanks for you for your time.
ps3 160gb model 98038
vizio model sv42om 42" lcd hdmi
rca 5.1 surround sound on optical
thanks2mybarbi!!!
rubecscubed
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby rubecscubed » 05 Feb 2010, 10:32

correction to last post, it's version 6.1 sorry! :mrgreen:
ps3 160gb model 98038
thanks2mybarbi!!!
rubecscubed
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby ppietro » 05 Feb 2010, 12:22

rubecscubed wrote:wuzup ppl. i just started to download the iso into my p.c. i'm doing one in my documents and one on a usb flash stic. will i be able to use the stic to download into my ps3? i'm new to all of this, and want to see if i can do this. i'm downloading the 6.0 version, since it came out in 08 as did my ps3. does it matter or should i just get the newest version? thanks for you for your time.

You can't use the USB thumb drive to install it on your PS3. You will need to burn a DVD from the ISO you're downloading. If you're not used to burning ISOs, we recommend a free windows program called IMGBURN. Use the "Write Image to disc" option, preferrably at 1x speed.

Make sure the SHA1SUM value of the ISO you download matches the SHA1SUM value on the server.

SHA1SUM values are here:
http://ydl.oregonstate.edu/iso/SHA1SUM

Quick How-to is here:
http://ydl.oregonstate.edu/iso/SHA1SUM-HOWTO

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby rubecscubed » 08 Feb 2010, 06:07

ok thanks! thought i was gonna be able to take the easy way out. i did download the imgburn and the iso for the ps3 ( does it really matter which one?) do i have to use a usb keyboard or can i use my new logitech bluetooth mediaboard to download and navigate the os once it's in the ps3? thanks for your time
ps3 160gb model 98038
thanks2mybarbi!!!
rubecscubed
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby ppietro » 08 Feb 2010, 06:28

rubecscubed wrote:ok thanks! thought i was gonna be able to take the easy way out. i did download the imgburn and the iso for the ps3 ( does it really matter which one?) do i have to use a usb keyboard or can i use my new logitech bluetooth mediaboard to download and navigate the os once it's in the ps3? thanks for your time

It's best to use 6.2 - since most new programs will be compiled against this version going forward. Linux programs are forwards compatible - programs compiled against old libraries will work with newer libraries, but not vice versa.

That being said - I'm still using 6.1 myself. :D

And yes - you'll need to use a USB keyboard to install. Bluetooth support isn't included in the installer, and is usually configured post install. In the case of YDL 6.2, an update must be performed to the stock installation to enable bluetooth support.

It's easy though - you can just use the built-in update utility to get the update you need for bluetooth.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby rubecscubed » 08 Feb 2010, 06:58

thanks again paul. ok back to the drawing board then, i'll download the 6.2 then only took but 2 hrs to download the other one. got the old keyboard tucked away as backup. am i correct in asuming that there is going to be alot of typed in commamds when using ydl? i'm a noob at this and i don't mind the new challange, it's just that it took me 4 yrs to get my ps3 ( now that i'm not married anymore) and i don't want to damage it, especially since my new girlfriend got it for me. so once it downloads into the ps3, is there going to be some friendly cyber entity guiding me thru the steps?
ps3 160gb model 98038
thanks2mybarbi!!!
rubecscubed
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby rubecscubed » 08 Feb 2010, 07:12

oh btw, i just found the ps3 section! :oops: :oops: i saved it so i know where to go now, won't be postin questions all over the place like a madman!thanks for the info paul, you'll find me pullin out hair over in that section :mrgreen:
ps3 160gb model 98038
thanks2mybarbi!!!
rubecscubed
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby ppietro » 08 Feb 2010, 08:38

rubecscubed wrote:thanks again paul. ok back to the drawing board then, i'll download the 6.2 then only took but 2 hrs to download the other one. got the old keyboard tucked away as backup. am i correct in asuming that there is going to be alot of typed in commamds when using ydl? i'm a noob at this and i don't mind the new challange, it's just that it took me 4 yrs to get my ps3 ( now that i'm not married anymore) and i don't want to damage it, especially since my new girlfriend got it for me. so once it downloads into the ps3, is there going to be some friendly cyber entity guiding me thru the steps?

You know - it's perfectly fine to practice with 6.1 if you like. Nothing says you have to keep it after you've downloaded 6.2. :D

Also - there are ways to upgrade 6.1 in place to 6.2 :)

There aren't that many typed command in YDL, per se - they've made great strides in Linux GUIs in the last few years. However - if you're willing to take some time to "learn the ropes" with the terminal window, you can move very quickly in Linux. This is because the operating system runs independently of the GUI - more like Windows 3.1+DOS, than Windows XP. (Don't take this analogy too far though - Linux is *way* superior to DOS. :D)

Also - we on the YDL board use the command line to help folks fix things. This removes ambiguity when people are trying to follow us. (i.e. double click the drive icon, open the /etc folder window and look for a file called narf vs. find /etc -name "narf")

The good news is that you can't damage the PS3 with Linux. Once you boot OtherOS, the hypervisor "locks out" access to the Sony GameOS part of the hard disc. This is to prevent hacking, etc. - but it also makes it great for beginners.

If you're installing on a HDTV, then most of the installer will be mouse driven, with a little typing of things like machine name, password, etc. If you're installing on an SDTV, then everything will be keyboard driven. I recommend the HDTV install for beginners - the SDTV install is from the very early days of Red Hat Linux. I'm used to it - it makes sense if you've done a lot of installs - but it can be overwhelming for beginners. :D

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby rubecscubed » 08 Feb 2010, 09:28

Thanks Paul. Yes it will be run on hdtv, and hey I was born and raised in NYC and we go big, not the get my feet wet kinda guy, gotta jump in the deep end :lol: Thanks again, you'll find me pestering people over at the ps3 board :mrgreen:
ps3 160gb model 98038
thanks2mybarbi!!!
rubecscubed
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Return to Beginner