Help error message

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

Help error message

Postby mulletdew » 21 Oct 2009, 00:50

i download ydl 6.2 before inserting disk i formatted all 10gb to other os then installed the disk i get to kboot promt and i type in install_ps3_480i i get to the welcome page i push okay. i choose english us keyboard and then it says something about deleting other os. so i choose yes i get to the partition page i choose the default one * error there is no partition check your system for problems clicked all the others same error message. rebooted to ps3 screen and i repartitooned to all to ps3 restarted then i partintoned all 10gp to other os re installed the disk same error messesage? any one have any ideas?? ( sory if its alredy been asked i couldnt find this problem anywhere)
mulletdew
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Help error message

Postby smurf » 21 Oct 2009, 01:41

um ive never used ydl but sounds like your partition is not to ydl's liking make sure its a supported format such as FAT32 which is supported by most if not all os's or the native format for ydl(not sure what it is) so try using it with a hard drive formatted to FAT32 . the ps3 uses a 2.5" laptop SATA hard drive which im sure you could find on http://www.newegg.com thats where i get my parts from. sorry if it doesnt work just a though :) not that you need a new one just the ps3 may or may not let you format to FAT32 I havent used mine in awhile
smurf
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 21 Oct 2009, 02:02

mulletdew wrote:i download ydl 6.2 before inserting disk i formatted all 10gb to other os then installed the disk i get to kboot promt and i type in install_ps3_480i i get to the welcome page i push okay. i choose english us keyboard and then it says something about deleting other os. so i choose yes i get to the partition page i choose the default one * error there is no partition check your system for problems clicked all the others same error message. rebooted to ps3 screen and i repartitooned to all to ps3 restarted then i partintoned all 10gp to other os re installed the disk same error messesage? any one have any ideas?? ( sory if its alredy been asked i couldnt find this problem anywhere)

Hiya & welcome to the forums!

As a professional posting tip, it's best to include line breaks in your questions - it's really hard for us to figure out what you're asking here.

It'ssortalikethissentencethere'snothingwrongwithitbutit'sreallyhardtounderstand,kay? :D

So - I have two questions.

1. Can you expand on this part of your procedure?

i formatted all 10gb to other os then installed the disk i get to kboot promt and i type in install_ps3_480i

The procedure is to partition 10 gigs to Other OS, reformat and reboot, insert the DVD, then run "Install Other OS" from the XMB. Once the otheros.bld firmware has been installed on your PS3 from your YDL 6.2 DVD, then you select Default System and pick Other OS to boot the YDL installer.

Is this what you did?

2. Non-graphical installation.

At the kboot: prompt, you pick one of the install options. Since it sounds like you have a standard definition television, you picked install_ps3_480i. This means you can't use the YDL graphic installer - instead you must use the text installer.

Now - it's been a long time since I used the YDL text installer, but if my memory serves, you should get a screen that looks something like this:

http://news.softpedia.com/images/review ... ge_007.png

NOTE: These screen grabs are from a Fedora Core 6 installer - but YDL should be similar.

You will need to highlight "Remove all partitions on selected drives and create default layout", then TAB down to OK and hit Enter. You may see a warning that looks like this:

http://news.softpedia.com/images/review ... ge_008.png

Go ahead and TAB to highlight Yes, and hit Enter.

You probably don't need to Review and modify the partitioning layout to start, unless you're a Linux guru. The defaults work fine for most people.

You should be able to continue through the installer normally after this.

Also - make sure you have no extra USB thumbdrives, external hard drives, memory cards, etc. in your system when you do the install. You just want your PS3, monitor, keyboard and mouse when you do the install.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ppietro » 21 Oct 2009, 02:05

smurf wrote:um ive never used ydl but sounds like your partition is not to ydl's liking make sure its a supported format such as FAT32

Nah - YDL isn't going to like FAT32 too much. You'll want to use ext3 at least - YDL prefers it for system drives.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mulletdew » 21 Oct 2009, 03:03

ppietro wrote:As a professional posting tip, it's best to include line breaks in your questions - it's really hard for us to figure out what you're asking here.

It'ssortalikethissentencethere'snothingwrongwithitbutit'sreallyhardtounderstand,kay? :D

yea sorry about that.

ppietro wrote:So - I have two questions.

i formatted all 10gb to other os then installed the disk i get to kboot promt and i type in install_ps3_480i

The procedure is to partition 10 gigs to Other OS, reformat and reboot, insert the DVD, then run "Install Other OS" from the XMB. Once the otheros.bld firmware has been installed on your PS3 from your YDL 6.2 DVD, then you select Default System and pick Other OS to boot the YDL installer.

Is this what you did?

2. Non-graphical installation.

At the kboot: prompt, you pick one of the install options. Since it sounds like you have a standard definition television, you picked install_ps3_480i. This means you can't use the YDL graphic installer - instead you must use the text installer.

Now - it's been a long time since I used the YDL text installer, but if my memory serves, you should get a screen that looks something like this:

http://news.softpedia.com/images/review ... ge_007.png

my screen looks like that but it doesnt have which drivers do u want to use. i did how ever highlight the remove all partitions and the error message still came up
ppietro wrote:NOTE: These screen grabs are from a Fedora Core 6 installer - but YDL should be similar.

You will need to highlight "Remove all partitions on selected drives and create default layout", then TAB down to OK and hit Enter. You may see a warning that looks like this:

http://news.softpedia.com/images/review ... ge_008.png

and with this link i dont get to this. like it doesnt ask me that i have choosesn to remove all partitions, would u like to continue. the error message will come up so i hit okay and it sends me back to the page before...

ppietro wrote:Go ahead and TAB to highlight Yes, and hit Enter.

You probably don't need to Review and modify the partitioning layout to start, unless you're a Linux guru. The defaults work fine for most people.

You should be able to continue through the installer normally after this.

Also - make sure you have no extra USB thumbdrives, external hard drives, memory cards, etc. in your system when you do the install. You just want your PS3, monitor, keyboard and mouse when you do the install.

Cheers,
Paul
mulletdew
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 21 Oct 2009, 06:25

Note - here's another professional posting tip. All your quotes in the post above were messed up, so I fixed them. You don't click quote at the beginning and the end of the section you want to quote. You highlight the section, then click the Quote button.

Or - just add [ quote] and [/ quote] - without the space before the q - around the sections you want to quote.

Edit your post above to see how I did it. :D

That being said....

ppietro wrote:So - I have two questions.

Is this what you did?

You never answered this question. I need the answer to this.

Also - I have a new question:

2. Did you run SHA1SUM on the ISO you downloaded that you used to create the YDL 6.2 DVD? It might be an incomplete burn that's causing your error.

There is a quick HOWTO on running SHA1SUM here:
http://ydl.oregonstate.edu/iso/SHA1SUM-HOWTO

and the SHA1SUM values you're looking for are here:
http://ydl.oregonstate.edu/iso/SHA1SUM

If the SHA1SUM values don't match - you'll need to re-download and re-burn your image.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mulletdew » 21 Oct 2009, 20:37

yea to your first q. that's what i did. and no i never used that program i read how to install ydl on a tut. and it never said to use it. is that hat you ant me to do next?
mulletdew
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby mulletdew » 21 Oct 2009, 22:26

hey paul i got home from school today and posted the comment above before getting on ps3. i got on just a little bit ago and it worked. i don't no what i did i just left the ps3 off all night so mab it just needed some rest? idk but thnx for your help and time bud i appreciate it.
mulletdew
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to Beginner