autostart applications

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

autostart applications

Postby DerXylakant » 24 Oct 2009, 16:35

hi all,

now that I realized how to start up applications (e.g. pidgin, evolution) automatically at startup using enlightment or fluxbox as window manager, I had to go back to gnome for other reasons.

Unfortunately the way I start applications automatically on my Desktop-PC (Ubuntu, gnome) doesn't work on PS3. Using Ubuntu on Desktop-PC I've done it via front end settinges, which generated a entry in /home/myname/.config/autostart/autostart.desktop

Adding the startup script to /etc/rc.local also didn't work.

Please help me out of this! Thanx in advance.
DerXylakant
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: autostart applications

Postby DerXylakant » 25 Oct 2009, 18:45

After hours and hours of reading and trying and reading and trying I finally made it happen.. YEEHA!!

Here is how to autostart programms after login using Yellow Dog Linux on a PS3:
(my attempt was to start pidgin, evolution and gdesklets at startup without opening windows, but staying in the system tray / panel)

1. Create a starter which contains the command line arguments for the apps you wanna start. Mine is called autostart, saved in my home folder and looks like this:

Code: Select all
#!/bin/bash
sleep 2
/etc/init.d/network restart wlan0 &
sleep 1
/usr/bin/gdesklets &
sleep 1
alltray /usr/bin/evolution --disable-preview &
sleep 1
alltray /usr/bin/pidgin &

I used the sleep commands, because I remembered about problems using startup scripts and other distributions. The restart wlan line is ment to fix an issue I'm struggling with, i.e. the wlan disconnects from time to time and at startup too. Alltray is an application which moves the programms to the tray.

After doing so, save your script and make it executable.

2. Now you have to create a file called something.desktop in the folder /etc/xdg/autostart, which should look like this:
Code: Select all
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Autostart Apps
Comment=Individually start apps after login
Icon=
Exec=/home/your_login_name/./autostart
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=

3. Following the instructions should help you to autostart applications using gnome and powerpc architecture.

Last but not least, if you're using gdesklets don't forget to change the settings -> hotkeys. It uses <shift><something> by default, that's why you might be not able to WRITE BIG LETTERS any more.

Good luck, bye.
DerXylakant
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: autostart applications

Postby bonedome » 27 Oct 2009, 12:46

nice one :D
60Gb ps3 otheros awol. currently playing:bad company and farcry 2 again (seeing how far I can get using permadeath principle)update: regretfully Warren Clyde was involved in a shootout south of Pala and killed when he was hit by a land rover. RIP Warren
bonedome
ydl guru
ydl guru

Return to Beginner