installing vlc media player

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

installing vlc media player

Postby mgschnel » 25 Oct 2009, 02:06

Hello All

I am new to ydl or Linux for that matter, so here it goes..... I download the file(vlc media player) and extracted to my desktop. I have the folder with the program files in it but do not how to install the program so I am able to use it. any advice

Thanks in advance, Mark
mgschnel
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: installing vlc media player

Postby bonedome » 25 Oct 2009, 13:03

Hello
where did you get this vlc file ?
if you've got the source code it has so far not been possible to get a fully functioning build of the latest versions, what you need to do is get billb's bodega repo set up (I'm sure he's said all the fedora extras packages are now in it {correct me if I'm wrong billb}) then open add/remove software and add vlc and the mozilla plugin
should work a treat.
60Gb ps3 otheros awol. currently playing:bad company and farcry 2 again (seeing how far I can get using permadeath principle)update: regretfully Warren Clyde was involved in a shootout south of Pala and killed when he was hit by a land rover. RIP Warren
bonedome
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby mgschnel » 25 Oct 2009, 16:46

Hello bonedome

I downloaded the file from www.videolan.org, this is the newest version (vlc-1.0.2 tarbz2)
Like I said in my in my post I extracted it to my my desktop and have the folder, I am using YDL6.1 and am new
to installing programs in linux and would like to learn how. Do I need to the source code and compile it? I am not
sure what you are refering to (billb's bodega repo setup). Can you suggest any information on learning to install
programs in linux. Bonedome I appreciate your response to my post.

Thanks, Mark
mgschnel
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 25 Oct 2009, 18:49

mgschnel wrote:this is the newest version (vlc-1.0.2 tarbz2)
Like I said in my in my post I extracted it to my my desktop and have the folder, I am using YDL6.1 and am new
to installing programs in linux and would like to learn how. Do I need to the source code and compile it?

Hmm - that actually sounds like the source code to me. As bonedome said, building VLC from source on the PS3 is tricky. :D

mgschnel wrote:Can you suggest any information on learning to install
programs in linux.

Yellow Dog uses on-line software repositories to automate software installs. We call these "repos".

YDL comes with a number of repos pre-installed - but these repos are limited to pure open-source software - with no copyright infringement issues. Unfortunately, most media formats - MP4, MP3, etc. - don't fall under this category.

So - we normally add a couple of extra repos to allow us to download VLC, etc.

We have a post here that discusses how to set this up:
Howto: Install software (the easy way) YDL 6

After you add these extra repos, you should be able to use the Add/Remove Software utility to install VLC.

Or, from a terminal window - as root user:
yum install vlc

will do the same thing as the GUI.

The nice thing about Add/Remove Software (aka pirut) - or the command line equivalent YUM - is that they use the repos to find all of the program dependencies, and automatically install them as well. So - you don't need to manually install all of the sub-programs that VLC depends on - the utilities will do that for you.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Beginner