Sign on problem

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

Sign on problem

Postby mlytz@peak.org » 26 Oct 2009, 15:21

Hello,I need help, I was messing around in YDL settings and I cannot remember what I did, something to do with network setting. Now when I try to sign on, it takes my user name but when Itenter my password it fades and then just stops! Help please.

Mark
mlytz@peak.org
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Sign on problem

Postby billb » 26 Oct 2009, 21:44

Hard to guess what's going on, but at least you should be able to log in as "root" and create a new user account you can use until you can resolve the issue ...

Create a new account:
Code: Select all
useradd yourusername

(replace "yourusername" with your desired login name)

Create a password for the account:
Code: Select all
passwd yourusername

Alternatively, if you're running the default environment (E17 / Enlightenment) you might try switching to Gnome instead -- just click on Session at the login screen and select Gnome.
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Still unable to log on

Postby mlytz@peak.org » 27 Oct 2009, 03:27

[MODERATOR EDIT: You don't have to create a new topic for a follow-up question. Merged this post back with the original question to reduce confusion. -Paul]

billb,
I tried to sign on as root and the screen went blank (black) after I typed in the password. I tried changiing the session to
gnome and the same thing happens. What should I try next?

Mark
mlytz@peak.org
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby bonedome » 27 Oct 2009, 12:42

Hello
most odd I'd have thought that even if you set the resolution to something your tv can't handle, if you can get the login screen you should get a desktop screen , you haven't set the screensaver to come on instantly ?
I was messing around in YDL settings and I cannot remember what I did
there's a lesson in there somewhere :D
after you login and the screen's gone black can you get a terminal by pressing Ctrl-Alt-F1 ?
60Gb ps3 otheros awol. currently playing:bad company and farcry 2 again (seeing how far I can get using permadeath principle)update: regretfully Warren Clyde was involved in a shootout south of Pala and killed when he was hit by a land rover. RIP Warren
bonedome
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby mlytz@peak.org » 27 Oct 2009, 15:07

I signed in as root, pressed f1 and got a line that reads [roor@localhos ~]#
what do I type in next?
mlytz@peak.org
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby billb » 27 Oct 2009, 16:35

mlytz@peak.org wrote:I signed in as root, pressed f1 and got a line that reads [roor@localhos ~]#
what do I type in next?

At that point you could try the commands I posted above for creating a new user account. But since you're getting a black screen after trying to log in as root from the GUI login screen, I'm doubting that will help. Worth a try, though ...
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mlytz@peak.org » 28 Oct 2009, 01:36

I tried to type in the codes but they don't work. Anymore ideas or should I uninstall and start over? How do I do an uninstall? Can I ever get into
Ydl Again? Is there someone that can help me get started again at Fix Stars?
mlytz@peak.org
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 28 Oct 2009, 04:27

mlytz@peak.org wrote:I tried to type in the codes but they don't work. Anymore ideas or should I uninstall and start over? How do I do an uninstall? Can I ever get into
Ydl Again? Is there someone that can help me get started again at Fix Stars?

If there's nothing you need to save in your personal files, it would probably be easiest to just re-install YDL.

Just put the YDL install DVD in the drive and reboot OtherOS. You don't need to repartition or re-install otheros.bld - rebooting with the DVD in the drive should kick off the installer.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mlytz@peak.org » 30 Oct 2009, 14:39

I reinstalled YDL. I tried to create a new user, which I was able to do, but the same thing happens, it takes the user name,but when I enter the password, it fades and locks up, it will not sign me on. I noticed when I create a new user, my old user name was still there, but unusable. Is there any real danger of always signing on as root? And, is there some way to find a method to create a new user? How can I renew the partition, and is it necessary ? Any clue why this has happened?
mlytz@peak.org
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to Beginner