Wifi and Wicd help needed

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

Wifi and Wicd help needed

Postby dalenichol » 28 Oct 2009, 23:16

Hi there guys, Get comfortable cause this might take a while...

I wasnt sure if this post should be put here or in the ps3 section, so forgive me if im out of place

Basically, i installed yellow dog 6.1 on my playstation 3 last night, installation ran smoothly and everything was working fine until i got to the internet...

i have the BT HomeHub2( the black one) and it is WPA-PSK. it lets me connect to the net through my ps3 quite happily(which is how im managing to post this now :) ) but when i enter the details and try to connect through wicd it hangs on the validating authentication screen... so i was wondering if anyone could shed some light on that situation?

but more importantly at the moment of time, i had a look through athis forum, and noticed that some people had mentioned that the stock version of wicd doesnt always work, and there were some patches/patched versions available to download.. so ive downloaded these, went to extract the files, but found they were .PHP files, which quite frankly, being a noob, i have no idea what to do with these.

i then went through sourceforge(or softpedia, cant remember which) and downloaded wicd 1.6.2.2

i used yum remove wicd to get the previous wicd off my system
and then /home/dale/wicd-1.6.2.2/setup.py install to try and install this newer version, but that doesnt seem to have worked, which now leaves me without any form of wicd, and seemingly no possible way or getting online..

so basically, im wondering if anyone can help me re-install wicd, and then maybe give me some advice on how to get online
as you've probably noticed im a complete linux noob having only started using it last night, and have problem jumped straight in at the deep end, but any little bit of help would be greatly appreciated.. im cracking up here :S

thanks, Dale
dalenichol
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Wifi and Wicd help needed

Postby ppietro » 29 Oct 2009, 00:12

dalenichol wrote:so basically, im wondering if anyone can help me re-install wicd, and then maybe give me some advice on how to get online
as you've probably noticed im a complete linux noob having only started using it last night, and have problem jumped straight in at the deep end, but any little bit of help would be greatly appreciated.. im cracking up here :

To be honest - if you don't have much loaded in 6.1, it might be easier to re-install YDL, then follow my steps here:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4534#p24084

This is from a longer post I wrote about 6.1 Wireless:
Wireless tips and tricks for YDL 6.1

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby dalenichol » 31 Oct 2009, 10:58

hi paul , thanks for your reply.
just have a bit of a problem, your first link takes me to a file called wnettools.py.tar.gz and i assume thats what i need. the problem is, when i download that file it appears only as 'file.php' this makes no sense to me, and i was hoping you could shed some light on the situation?

regards, Dale
dalenichol
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 01 Nov 2009, 06:16

dalenichol wrote:hi paul , thanks for your reply.
just have a bit of a problem, your first link takes me to a file called wnettools.py.tar.gz and i assume thats what i need. the problem is, when i download that file it appears only as 'file.php' this makes no sense to me, and i was hoping you could shed some light on the situation?

regards, Dale

Are you trying to right click it and "save as..."? That won't work. You just need to "standard" click it - like you were going to open it - and our PHP script will format it to auto-download.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby dalenichol » 01 Nov 2009, 11:06

nope, i'm definately just standard clicking. im doing it through my ps3 though...i'll try it on the pc when i get the chance, see if that helps.

thanks again.
dalenichol
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby dalenichol » 01 Nov 2009, 17:19

dalenichol wrote:nope, i'm definately just standard clicking. im doing it through my ps3 though...i'll try it on the pc when i get the chance, see if that helps.

thanks again.

hey, i got the file by downloading it on a pc instead of the ps3, i then followed the instructions, replace the old file with the new, but wicd still doesnt get past the validating authentication part of the connection process

i know the ssid is correct, and the WPA2-PSK key is correct, but still i cant connect

is there anything else i could possibly try? and also, would installing YDL 6.2 be any better?

thanks
dalenichol
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 01 Nov 2009, 20:24

dalenichol wrote:hey, i got the file by downloading it on a pc instead of the ps3, i then followed the instructions, replace the old file with the new, but wicd still doesnt get past the validating authentication part of the connection process

i know the ssid is correct, and the WPA2-PSK key is correct, but still i cant connect

is there anything else i could possibly try? and also, would installing YDL 6.2 be any better?

thanks

Well - the link in my post is for an un-unpdated wicd. I think you said you updated to 1.6.2.2 - take a look in this thread for the patch that's applicable:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4416#p22368

As for YDL 6.2, the wicd included does not need patching. However - there are some issues with Bluetooth compatibility out of the box. Search our forum for more about that.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby dalenichol » 01 Nov 2009, 21:41

ppietro wrote:
dalenichol wrote:hey, i got the file by downloading it on a pc instead of the ps3, i then followed the instructions, replace the old file with the new, but wicd still doesnt get past the validating authentication part of the connection process

thanks

Well - the link in my post is for an un-unpdated wicd. I think you said you updated to 1.6.2.2 - take a look in this thread for the patch that's applicable:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4416#p22368

As for YDL 6.2, the wicd included does not need patching. However - there are some issues with Bluetooth compatibility out of the box. Search our forum for more about that.

Cheers,
Paul

Hey, nah i re-installed linux before patching etc, so it was just bare bones wicd that was there.
To be honest, these BT hubs can be quite annoying and its probably a problem with the hub and not linux. im tempted to try 6.2, but i'll probably just have the same problem. it looks like im destined to be linux-less

Thanks for all your help though.
Dale
dalenichol
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to Beginner