Video settings in YDL 6.2

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

Video settings in YDL 6.2

Postby jdcrossed » 02 Dec 2009, 02:52

[MODERATOR EDIT: We don't allow question piggybacking. The original thread is confusing enough - new question - new thread. I've split this off and retitled it for you. -Paul]

howdy all was poping on to see if anyoune had a link for a users manuel for 6.2 Im trying to adjust some video settings make the window fit my tv better if anyone has any advice i would appreciate it after using windows for so long im lost lol
jdcrossed
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Video settings in YDL 6.2

Postby ppietro » 02 Dec 2009, 04:20

jdcrossed wrote:howdy all was poping on to see if anyoune had a link for a users manuel for 6.2 Im trying to adjust some video settings make the window fit my tv better if anyone has any advice i would appreciate it after using windows for so long im lost lol

So - If I remember correctly, you were trying the 720p install and had to use the text mode instead.

You never did mention if you had a TV that was capable of 720p or not. I'm assuming you don't - but the following can apply if you do, too.

So - televisions have an issue with a phenomenon called "overscan". You can read about it here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overscan

Basically - older CRT TVs lose about 10% of their screen edges to the plastic casing, TV cabinet, etc. For some bizarre reason, HDTVs include this edge loss as well.

YDL defaults to an overscan compatible mode - putting black borders on all sides of the screen. If you're running the default 480i/576i screen resolution, this can make the screen almost unusable.

What you need to do is select one of the YDL "fullscreen" modes, as detailed here:
viewtopic.php?t=3524

This will force the PS3's framebuffer to use all of the pixels for the given video mode, and remove the black borders. Unfortunately - if you have a standard TV (480i/576i), this will probably result in the desktop extending beyond the edge of the screen, which is almost as annoying as having a reduced screen.

For this reason, most of us have given up on using SD TVs, and are using some sort of HDTV or Computer Monitor.

If you do have an HDTV, and you're getting the black borders, you should try a fullscreen mode. If your screen extends beyond the edge on an HDTV, there is usually some sort of "Full Pixel" mode on the TV remote that turns off the HDTV built-in overscan, and lets you use your full screen.

I use YDL 1080p fullscreen with my Sony Bravia set to Full Pixel, and it works great.

Cheers,
Paul

P.S. We cover a lot of beginner topics in this Forum post:
Please READ ME FIRST (known issues, useful links, and help)
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby jdcrossed » 02 Dec 2009, 04:29

srry thought i could post a general question wont happen again thanks all
jdcrossed
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 02 Dec 2009, 11:23

jdcrossed wrote:srry thought i could post a general question wont happen again thanks all

You're always free to post a general question. The problem is piggybacking on other questions. We prefer our forum members to start new posts if they have a new question - that's all.

The two main forum rules are:

1. Don't piggyback new questions on old, unrelated topics. Just start a new topic - it makes it much easier for us to track and insures that folks who might have answers for you find it.

2. Don't double post a question. It's frustrating to put a lot of time and thought into an answer and post it, only to find someone has answered it somewhere else. That's extremely frustrating, since we could have been helping somebody else, and ends up causing duplication of efforts.

That's it - otherwise, we're an extremely mellow message board. :D

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Beginner