Lightweight web browser

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

Lightweight web browser

Postby whimar » 20 Dec 2009, 13:19

Hi,

I have been trying to compile midori with little success on YDL 6.2 does anybody know a lightweight web browser that would be an alternative to firefox that I can grab from repos?

Regards
whimar
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Lightweight web browser

Postby ppietro » 20 Dec 2009, 13:46

whimar wrote:Hi,

I have been trying to compile midori with little success on YDL 6.2 does anybody know a lightweight web browser that would be an alternative to firefox that I can grab from repos?

Regards

Not really - no.

I don't think any of the other WebKit browsers are available in the repos. Definitely not Google Chrome - that only compiles for x86 or ARM targets, due to the custom JavaScript engine.

The only possible browser that might be available via repo for YDL is Dillo - which may be far too lightweight for you. It's definitely a "less is more" type of browser.

You know, if you can tolerate KDE, you can always use Konqueror. That's what WebKit is based on. It's lightweight and fast - might be the best alternative in the short run. And - the nice thing is - Konqueror and KDE are available in the stock YDL repos.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Lightweight web browser

Postby whimar » 22 Dec 2009, 17:15

Thanks for the advice. I guess I'll just stick with firefox as I really don't fancy touching KDE
whimar
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to Beginner