Installing files with no internet connection

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

Installing files with no internet connection

Postby Banjoman » 29 Jan 2010, 19:26

I have successfully installed Linux on my PS3 with no internet connection and a SDTV. Now I am trying to install some old school gaming emulators but all I can find online is the "sudo apt get" mess that requires internet connection. I have internet connection on a machine running Windows XP and I have a USB flash drive, but I can't figure out how to get the files to install once I move them over to Linux. Any help?
Banjoman
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Installing files with no internet connection

Postby ppietro » 29 Jan 2010, 20:10

Banjoman wrote:I have successfully installed Linux on my PS3 with no internet connection and a SDTV. Now I am trying to install some old school gaming emulators but all I can find online is the "sudo apt get" mess that requires internet connection. I have internet connection on a machine running Windows XP and I have a USB flash drive, but I can't figure out how to get the files to install once I move them over to Linux. Any help?

sudo apt get?

That's for Ubuntu Linux, not YDL. The procedure is different between the two.

For YDL, what you'll end up doing is downloading RPM files. Those are the base files that our automated install system - YUM - uses. Once you have those on your thumb drive, you would use the rpm command from a terminal window to install them.

e.g.

rpm -ivh some_long_string_of_text.rpm

Note - RPM doesn't resolve dependencies - that's why we use YUM to install our RPMs. You will have to have all the required RPMs present, and you will have to install them in the correct order. Also - you must be root user to install RPMs.

Cheers,
Paul

P.S. I would have recommended YUM localinstall to simplify this - but I think that still checks your on-line repos - which this user doesn't have. Is there a alternative way of setting up YUM that would be simpler?
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Beginner