Boot options

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

Boot options

Postby Swissfire » 01 Feb 2010, 03:29

I'm sure this topic has been posted, and if someone could direct me to that post I would greatly appreciate it.

Yellowdog currently is the "default" boot option... ie., if i restart my G5, it gives me the option to boot into OSX, but if i would walk away while it is rebooting, after a few moments it automatically boots into YDL.

This won't be a problem in the future, as I would like to dedicate the majority of my system's time to linux, but for the time being, I would like it to automatically boot into OSX, with the option to boot to YDL.

Thanks.
Swissfire
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Boot options

Postby aguilarojo » 19 Mar 2010, 22:15

Swissfire wrote:I'm sure this topic has been posted, and if someone could direct me to that post I would greatly appreciate it.

Yellowdog currently is the "default" boot option... ie., if i restart my G5, it gives me the option to boot into OSX, but if i would walk away while it is rebooting, after a few moments it automatically boots into YDL.

This won't be a problem in the future, as I would like to dedicate the majority of my system's time to linux, but for the time being, I would like it to automatically boot into OSX, with the option to boot to YDL.

Thanks.

A lazy solution is to boot from the Apple Install OS X DVD as though you were going to install something, but do nothing. Then quit. This will reset the open firmware so that you boot into OS X automatically. To boot into YDL, at boot press the following keys at the same time: Command-Option-p-r

Now if your the kind of fellow who is more proactive, then I refer you to this page and call your attention to using the defaultos variable.

Everything on the Earth has a purpose.
Every disease an herb to cure it.
And every person has a mission.
This is the Indian Theory of Existence.
-- Morning Dove, Salish (1888-1936)
aguilarojo
ydl guru
ydl guru

Return to Beginner