Questions about Ps3 Yellow-Dog-Linux-6-1 install.

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

Questions about Ps3 Yellow-Dog-Linux-6-1 install.

Postby spacedream » 16 Feb 2010, 05:04

Hello.. i have had experiance using ubuntu and xbuntu before..on my laptop.. but that a side.. i've not install Yellow-Dog-Linux-6-1 onto my ps3 and its loaded and is in full 1080p so i'm pleased.. i just have a few questions...

1. after i installed it.. i opened my wireless program the ony with the green icon.. can't remember the abbreviation but it trys to connect and simpley sticks on the obtaining ip address.. i'm using an old white bt home hub.. i think its just WEP and the code.. but it still not connecting...??

2. next thought was that when i plug my external 1000gb hardrive into the front of my ps3 nothing is read.. i know my lacey hardrive is NTFS but i'm plugging it into Yellow-Dog-Linux-6-1 i thought.. not my playstation XMB anymore.. so it should just read it .. but having not connected to the internet properly.. i'm guessing there might be updates.. or patches.. or even code change.. if anyone could help with this one. it would be boss also ? :)

3. how do i get vlc to work on Yellow-Dog-Linux-6-1 via ps3 obviously

i'm running Yellow-Dog-Linux-6-1 from my ps3.. and just need to make sure i got the basics so i can have yet another amazing linux experiance or well Yellow-Dog-Linux-6-1 experiance.

hope someone can help

cheers - spacedream yo
spacedream
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Questions about Ps3 Yellow-Dog-Linux-6-1 install.

Postby ppietro » 16 Feb 2010, 11:36

spacedream wrote:1. after i installed it.. i opened my wireless program the ony with the green icon.. can't remember the abbreviation but it trys to connect and simpley sticks on the obtaining ip address.. i'm using an old white bt home hub.. i think its just WEP and the code.. but it still not connecting...??

There is a bug in wicd in YDL 6.1. You'll need to use a community patch to fix it. See here:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4534#p23390
and step by step here:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4534#p24084

spacedream wrote:2. next thought was that when i plug my external 1000gb hardrive into the front of my ps3 nothing is read.. i know my lacey hardrive is NTFS but i'm plugging it into Yellow-Dog-Linux-6-1 i thought.. not my playstation XMB anymore.. so it should just read it .. but having not connected to the internet properly.. i'm guessing there might be updates.. or patches.. or even code change.. if anyone could help with this one. it would be boss also ? :)

I think YDL 6.1 can read NTFS, but not write it. However - you may need to add Fuse support. See here:
viewtopic.php?p=25996#p25996

Don't forget - just plugging the drive in the front of the PS3 won't automount it, if you're using the default YDL Enlightenment environment. You'll have to open the computer icon and double click on the USB drive.

spacedream wrote:3. how do i get vlc to work on Yellow-Dog-Linux-6-1 via ps3 obviously

Set up your repositories according to this post:
Howto: Install software (the easy way) YDL 6

Then, you can install yum via this terminal window command - as root user:
yum install vlc

You'll want to read through this post as well:
Please READ ME FIRST (known issues, useful links, and help)

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Beginner