wcid crashes on launch - YDL 6.2 on PS3

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

wcid crashes on launch - YDL 6.2 on PS3

Postby DWAH » 16 Feb 2010, 19:36

Hello I am new to Linux and have a recurring problem. When I install a fresh copy of YDL 6.2 the wireless networking works great in wicd (network manager does not work for some reason) but I cannot see the share files of other computers on my network nor can they see me (3 running winxp or vista and 1 running Ubuntu) I successfully configured my Ubuntu laptop to share files without issues between the windows computers. When I try to do the same on YDL by editing the smb.conf file to change my workgroup name, it will still not show up to other computers on the network and as soon as I reboot, I get a error message when launching wcid and cannot connect by wireless at all. I changed my workgroup name back to the defualt in smb.conf and even tried removing and reinstalling wcid but the only way I've been able to get it working again is to do a complete re-install of YDL.

All I want is to have my PS3 able to share files back and forth with all the computers on my network like my laptop does. Am I doing something wrong editing the smb.conf and would that have an effect on wicd? I can post the error message if it helps. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
DWAH
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: wcid crashes on launch - YDL 6.2 on PS3

Postby ppietro » 16 Feb 2010, 19:41

DWAH wrote: as soon as I reboot, I get a error message when launching wcid and cannot connect by wireless at all.

See here:
http://www.ydl.net/support/advisories.shtml

Look for the section "If Wicd Network Manager dies after reboot ..."

NOTE: YDL does not ship with sudo configured by default. Use su -l instead:
i.e.
sudo bash -
becomes
su -

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby DWAH » 16 Feb 2010, 21:13

Oops that's why I wasn't getting much info on wcid searches, guess it helps if I spell it right. :roll:

Anyway that worked great! I did try that once before but probably didn't reboot after editing the file and assumed it still wasn't working. Thanks.

So now I've got wicd working and I can see and transfer files from other networked computers to the PS3 but I can't see the PS3 from the other computers.. I also have no menu option in the file browser in YDL for "Sharing" like I do in Ubuntu. Do I need to install samba server or any other samba programs or just edit something else in the smb.conf? Also the "Hostname" for my PS3 is just * as reported by my wireless router..
DWAH
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 16 Feb 2010, 22:36

DWAH wrote:Also the "Hostname" for my PS3 is just * as reported by my wireless router..

You can set hostname with the hostname command - man hostname for syntax - but I think DHCP will over-write that.

Traditionally, for DHCP, I've set hostname in the Network Configuration control panel --> DNS tab --> Hostname field. This should work, but I don't use wicd, so I can't say that with 100% certainty.

I'll have to fire up wicd tonight and let you know.

UPDATE: Yeah - that's how to do it. I installed wicd, and that's a good way to set hostname. That probably won't update the field on the router though. The old network configuration panel could do that, but I don't think wicd can.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby DWAH » 17 Feb 2010, 19:08

Ok I seem to be able to set the hostname using network manager or the other way you described but I still can't see my PS3 from any other computers and like you though, it still comes up as "*" on my router. I installed Samba server for YDL and set up a shared folder (actually my desktop folder) and all computers belong to "Home" workgroup but still no luck. I will keep trying things I think I'm getting closer here. Also this might be a topic for another post but I would like to be able to control my PS3 from my ubuntu laptop remotely instead of always plugging in my other keyboard and mouse. Any easy way to do this? I've tried various remote desktop programs but can't find any host settings in Yellow Dog. Thanks for any advice you can give me.
DWAH
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 17 Feb 2010, 21:03

DWAH wrote:I would like to be able to control my PS3 from my ubuntu laptop remotely instead of always plugging in my other keyboard and mouse. Any easy way to do this?

Here's an easy way to do it:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3101&p=32566#p11916

Specifically this post:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3101&start=15#p33493

DWAH wrote: I still can't see my PS3 from any other computer

Hmmm - you might check your PS3's firewall. It's on by default and very restrictive. I'm not sure what port you need to open - but - I'd start there. There's a control panel applet that you can use - sorry I'm away from my PS3 so I can't provide steps on how to get there.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Beginner