ps3 ydl and rotuers

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

ps3 ydl and rotuers

Postby Scudreloaded » 22 Feb 2010, 08:55

Hey guys
whats the simplest internet router to connect to ps3 ydl .
im currently running on 6.1
but if it's worth it i might take the time and download 6.2
i currently have an actiontec router and it gives me soo much trouble
never been able to get it to work reeli
almost about ready to try and pay geek squad to do it
if they can
but before i do that i'd like to try buying a new router
what is the easiest one to get connected to the ps3 under linux
are some of the other flavors of linux better for hooking up to the net?
i kinda just wanna run a few emulators on this baby but cant ever get her linked online
Scudreloaded
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Re: ps3 ydl and rotuers

Postby ppietro » 22 Feb 2010, 10:41

Scudreloaded wrote:whats the simplest internet router to connect to ps3 ydl .
i currently have an actiontec router and it gives me soo much trouble

Ah yes - the ActionTec. Man - do those suck. :D

So - I have a couple of questions for you.

1. Are you trying to connect wirelessly?

2. Is your DSL setup to use PPPoE or PPPoA?

Assuming you're using PPPoA and you're trying to connect wirelessly, you'll have to manually set your IP Address, Subnet mask, Gateway IP address, and DNS Server(s). The ActionTec's DHCP server appears to be broken against Linux - DHCP would normally fill in all of those values for you.

Currently, I'm using a moderately old D-Link Router/Wireless Access point: DI-524. It works terrifically well - it's connected by hardwire to the ActionTec, and is the primary access point for the house.

Cheers,
Paul

P.S. I thought your name looked familiar. I've answered this question specifically for you before back in 2009. The answer hasn't changed any. See here:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4973&p=27248#p27261

ppietro wrote:As you know, I have an actiontec DSL from qwest as well. This is how I set mine up - I think this is what you want to do too.

Turn off the Wireless on the ActionTec - you don't need it, and it is a security hole. Next, buy a Netgear, D-Link or Linksys Wireless Router. (It's a combination of a wireless access point and a firewall router.)

Personally - I use an ancient D-Link DI-524 I found at Goodwill for a few bucks - it works great. It's a plain 802.11b/g wireless router.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... ps-sellers

Plug the WAN port of your new access point into the ActionTec. You'll want a hardwire connection for this - the ActionTec Wireless locks up after a few gigs of data transfer. Then, use the new router's Wireless for your house - including your PS3.

If you must plug your PS3 in hardwire, there are four switched ports on the back of the D-Link - most other Wireless Routers include these as well. (Generally, the actiontec's only have one jack - you'd reserve that jack for the upstream router.)

Also - I posted steps to help you before - again, back in 2009:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4867&p=26322#p27033

ppietro wrote:Okay - I installed wicd, and just connected to my ActionTec wireless.

Here's what I had to do.

1. Installed wicd.
2. Downloaded the patch here: download/file.php?id=78 and extract wnettools.py
3. You will need to replace /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/wicd/wnettools.py with this new wnettools.py
3a. Reboot
4. Open wicd manager. If you're using the default E17 environment you'd find that here:
(YDL)--> Applications --> Internet --> wicd network manager
5. You should see your ActionTec DSL wireless in the resultant Wicd Manager window
6. Expand the access point triangle
7. Click Advanced Settings
8. In the resultant Advanced Settings dialog box, check "Use Static IPs"
9. You will now have to enter:
IP
Netmask
Gateway
DNS 1

DNS 2 & 3 are optional.

10. Since you've indicated you are not using Wireless security, go ahead and leave Use Encryption unchecked.
11. Click OK to close this box
12. You should be able to click the Connect button and it should work.

Let me know if any of these steps are confusing. It is extremely difficult to use an ActionTec DSL with Linux, since the ActionTec appears to have a broken DHCP server.
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Scudreloaded » 23 Feb 2010, 05:09

ok
i tried unplugging my router from right next to my computer and plugging it in in my room. the router says its connected to the internet.
i then tried pluggined an ethernet cable in the router
so i was attempting a wired connection. I only need it to be connected once to download some games onto it.
just checked my connection and its PPPoA
tomorrow i will try to do manually set it up in hopes it reads a wireless connection.
sorry you have to keep answering my q's dude
everything about the whole trying to get it to connect online is horribly confusing to me
Scudreloaded
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby ppietro » 23 Feb 2010, 10:20

Scudreloaded wrote:ok
i tried unplugging my router from right next to my computer and plugging it in in my room. the router says its connected to the internet.
i then tried pluggined an ethernet cable in the router
so i was attempting a wired connection. I only need it to be connected once to download some games onto it.
just checked my connection and its PPPoA
tomorrow i will try to do manually set it up in hopes it reads a wireless connection.
sorry you have to keep answering my q's dude
everything about the whole trying to get it to connect online is horribly confusing to me

First - PPPoA is good - it simplifies Linux connections quite a bit.

So - the ActionTec. A wired connection is fine. I'm guessing it's a standard ActionTec with one Ethernet jack, a USB Jack, a phone jack and a power connector.

Assuming it's still set to stock settings, it will be handing out 192.168.0.x IP addresses. You can manually set your PS3 to these settings in YDL, and it should be able to talk to your ActionTec:

IP Address: 192.168.0.20
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway Address: 192.168.0.1
DNS Server: 192.168.0.1

If you surf to your ActionTec you can verify this on the Status --> General Status page, under LAN settings. The ActionTec's LAN IP address should match the Gateway Address & DNS Server above, and the Net Mask settings should match too. I picked the IP address randomly. If your LAN IP address is different - say 192.168.1.1, keep the first three numbers the same, and set the fourth field to 20 (or any number between 2 and 250)

As for setting up wired, I think you can follow the procedure here:
http://www.ydl.net/support/solutions/yd ... ired.shtml

This used to work pretty well. I haven't tried it in a while, though. Then, set the IP address, etc. via the Network configuration manager: Yellow Dog logo > Applications > Applications > System Tools > System Config > Network

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Beginner