installing adobe flash player an frostwire???

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

installing adobe flash player an frostwire???

Postby pastortroy » 03 Mar 2010, 18:38

New to yellowdog an everything seems like its in code! any suggestions or fyi!?!?!?
pastortroy
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: installing adobe flash player an frostwire???

Postby pastortroy » 03 Mar 2010, 19:27

also need to figure out how to get java on there if there even is a way
pastortroy
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 03 Mar 2010, 22:42

pastortroy wrote:also need to figure out how to get java on there if there even is a way

1. Flash

Adobe does not have a version of Flash for PowerPC Linux. This is an problem because the PS3's Cell processor has a PowerPC central core. Adobe does have a Linux version and a PowerPC version, but the Linux version is for Intel (x86) and the PowerPC version is for Mac OS X. In addition, Adobe Flash is closed source, so we can't compile a version for PowerPC Linux.

The only alternative is to reverse engineer Flash from Adobe's published specifications. There are currently two open source projects underway to do this - gnash and swfdec - but they are fairly buggy and slow - and currently they're broken with sites like YouTube, etc.

For YouTube viewing, I use a Firefox plugin called Download Helper that extracts the files from YouTube and saves them locally. Then I use Totem, VLC or mplayer to play them back. Some folks have managed to setup stand-alone applications like VLC and Mplayer with a Firefox script add-in called Greasemonkey to seamlessly interface with YouTube. I've tried the Firefox+Greasemonkey+YouTube setup, and that works very well.

2. Java

See here:
How to install Java plugin for Firefox (YDL 6.0)

3. Frostwire

See here:
viewtopic.php?p=12117#p12117

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ppietro » 11 Mar 2010, 12:14

By the way - you get the Frostwire RPM from their site. If the latest version doesn't work, use the version here:

http://newyork1.frostwire.com/frostwire ... noarch.rpm

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pastortroy » 11 Mar 2010, 22:44

the reason i posted that was for the instructions on the root menu an stuff like that! i wasnt trying to repost or double post in your forum, Just still confused a lil on the whole yellowdog thing! You have been a great help thought paul! I actually bought this from ps3 magic an it was garbage an this forum is free an you have been a great help~ thanks again an sorry for the bother!
pastortroy
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby pastortroy » 11 Mar 2010, 23:51

okay when i went to the ibm website an looked for that download i could not find that one. instead the one i found waS basically the same thing but it wasn't 6.0.0.0 it was a 6.0.7.0 will this make a diff cause im in the terminal window an im getting nowhere! any ideas? thanks again
pastortroy
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 12 Mar 2010, 02:17

pastortroy wrote:the reason i posted that was for the instructions on the root menu an stuff like that! i wasnt trying to repost or double post in your forum, Just still confused a lil on the whole yellowdog thing! You have been a great help thought paul! I actually bought this from ps3 magic an it was garbage an this forum is free an you have been a great help~ thanks again an sorry for the bother!

Still - as Yoda would say "Double Post You Did". :D It's best to post on-topic follow-up questions in the same thread rather than spawn a new one that reiterates some of the same points. Otherwise, the way our forum post notification works, folks will be duplicating answers in two different places, which wastes everyone's time. We're all volunteers on this forum, and time is a very precious commodity to us.

If you're new to Unix in general, it might be helpful to start here to understand what we mean by root user.
http://kbase.redhat.com/faq/docs/DOC-1526

In the case of the instructions I gave, it might be easiest to just log into your GUI as the user "root" (with no quotes), follow those first steps to setup Java & frostwire, then log out. Next, log in as yourself (possibly pastortroy?) and then follow the rest of the steps.

Otherwise, if you just log in as yourself, you'll have to use the su -l command to elevate your terminal window to root level. That's "s" "u" "space" "dash" "lowercase L". When you're done with the root commands in the elevated terminal window, you can type "exit" to return to normal permissions.

pastortroy wrote:okay when i went to the ibm website an looked for that download i could not find that one. instead the one i found waS basically the same thing but it wasn't 6.0.0.0 it was a 6.0.7.0 will this make a diff cause im in the terminal window an im getting nowhere! any ideas? thanks again

No - 6.0.0.0 vs. 6.0.7.0 shouldn't make a difference. Those are different revisions of the same IBM Java 6.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pastortroy » 12 Mar 2010, 02:52

so when im creating the link after i installed java, i jus need to go to the terminal window i dont need to type this- (Create a symbolic link to (/opt/ibm/java-ppc-60/jre/plugin/ppc/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so) in the /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins folder:) what i need to start typing is this-
Code: Select all
su
<root password>

cd /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins

ln -s /opt/ibm/java-ppc-60/jre/plugin/ppc/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so

exit

then follow directions as listed? this is where i was getting confused at! thanks again jedi the force is strong with you!
pastortroy
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby pastortroy » 12 Mar 2010, 05:50

the force is strong with you jedi!!! ok so i got frostwire to download an its downloading a movie as i type this! one more question- since i cant put flash on yellowdog what would be the best be to view the movies i have downloaded??? thanks again paul or any1 that knows what i should be doing?!?!?! Also i have a codex that i run on my laptops an my desktop but not sure if it will work on here nor do i know that i could install that on yellowdog.... thanks again
pastortroy
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 12 Mar 2010, 07:20

pastortroy wrote:the force is strong with you jedi!!! ok so i got frostwire to download an its downloading a movie as i type this! one more question- since i cant put flash on yellowdog what would be the best be to view the movies i have downloaded??? thanks again paul or any1 that knows what i should be doing?!?!?! Also i have a codex that i run on my laptops an my desktop but not sure if it will work on here nor do i know that i could install that on yellowdog.... thanks again

The codex on your laptop probably won't work. It's most likely designed for Windows and Intel (i.e. x86 processors).

You're using a PS3 running Linux and a PowerPC processor.

For offline viewing of YouTube videos, I just use the built in Totem player. It's already installed, but it's missing a couple of codecs. What you need to do is set up the repositories according to this post:

Howto: Install software (the easy way) YDL 6

and load the following, either via command line with yum or via Add/Remove Software GUI tool:
gstreamer-plugins-bad
gstreamer-plugins-ugly

Those aren't the command lines, BTW - just the package names. The command line would be yum install gstreamer-plugins-bad etc.

After you set up your repos according to that post, you can also use a program called VLC to view them. Many folks dig that one. :D It should be available via Add/Remove Software

More about VLC here:
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Beginner