Using Pidgin on YDL (PS3)

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

Using Pidgin on YDL (PS3)

Postby Jenraux » 22 Mar 2010, 22:46

Well i have YDL on my PS3 now, infact im posting from it now.

But i want to know how to use Pidgin. My YDL install came with the outdated 2.3.1-2. And i know MSN only works with newer versions.

I was wondering where or if i can get the newer versions for PS3, i tried using the Fedora one but it doesnt seem to work. I.e when i use `yum install pidgin` i get a 404 error saying it cant reach the website.

Thanks.
Jenraux
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Re: Using Pidgin on YDL (PS3)

Postby ppietro » 22 Mar 2010, 23:05

Jenraux wrote:Well i have YDL on my PS3 now, infact im posting from it now.

But i want to know how to use Pidgin. My YDL install came with the outdated 2.3.1-2. And i know MSN only works with newer versions.

I was wondering where or if i can get the newer versions for PS3, i tried using the Fedora one but it doesnt seem to work. I.e when i use `yum install pidgin` i get a 404 error saying it cant reach the website.

Thanks.

I'm still using Pidgin as shipped in YDL - and I only use MSN. I think running the Software Update tool in YDL will update it as necessary for MSN. Yellow Dog Updates should have the necessary version.

Now - if yum install isn't working - you may have to temporarily disable Fedora extras. Also - make sure you're using Fedora Extras as posted here:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4785#p25379

Trying to use a newer Fedora repo - say from Fedora's website - won't work. As written, they don't recognize the PS3's processor architecture in their scripts. Plus - anything newer than Fedora Core 6 will cause massive library instability, since YDL is based on Red Hat Enterprise Linux, which is based on Fedora Core 6.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Using Pidgin on YDL (PS3)

Postby Jenraux » 23 Mar 2010, 00:25

Thanks that worked, i tried that software update once before but i got an error the first time.
Jenraux
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Return to Beginner