Conpletely removing programs?

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

Conpletely removing programs?

Postby Jenraux » 26 Mar 2010, 18:11

Hi again,

im having some trouble, i tried installing Qemu 10 or something, might have been 1.0, or 0.10, but anyway, i tried installing it and for some reason i failed, so yeah i sort of forgot about it.

But now i hooked the YUM thingie up to the fedora 6 repository, and i tried downloading Qemu 0.8 off their thinking it might be easier for me to install, but now i cant install it because it says its conflicting with a later version of Qemu.

I browsed my system and removed all the files i could related to Qemu, but it still says that its conflicting with files, and when i check the files it says its conflicting with, they dont exist.

For example:

Conflicts with usr/share/man/man1/Qemu-insert-stuff-here.gz (or something like that) but i've already gone into the directory and deleted the file, yet its still conflicting.

Any help is appreciated. :)
Jenraux
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Re: Conpletely removing programs?

Postby bonedome » 26 Mar 2010, 21:17

Hello
you could try
Code: Select all
su -
your root password
yum erase qemu
this will also remove any dependencies though, or you could try
su -
root password
rpm -e qemu --nodeps
for a slightly more clinical approach :D

To find even the most obscure file use
locate qemu
this will find every file with qemu in the name
60Gb ps3 otheros awol. currently playing:bad company and farcry 2 again (seeing how far I can get using permadeath principle)update: regretfully Warren Clyde was involved in a shootout south of Pala and killed when he was hit by a land rover. RIP Warren
bonedome
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby Jenraux » 26 Mar 2010, 21:23

Method #1 Yum Erase Qemu

Could not find Qemu, no files marked for removal.

Method #2 rpm -e qemu --nodeps

Package Qemu is not installed

Method #3 Locate Qemu

About 30 files found, looked them up and they dont appear to me, not even with hidden files set to viewable.

Thanks for trying though. :/

Remember that the install of Qemu i did was not successful and was left half completed due to me missing dependencies which i couldnt find, therefore it probably doesnt recognize that Qemu is actually there at all.

Ok gonna do a total reinstall of YDL, for the 3rd time since i started using it. :P

This time i hope i get it right, i tried linking my repository or whatever to the FC6 repo, but they only have like qemu 8.2 or something, i really wanted the newer 10.2 release.
Jenraux
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby ppietro » 27 Mar 2010, 01:04

Noooo - don't erase YDL!!!

This is so easy to fix it's trivial!!!!

First - you need to find out which Qemu was installed. You can do this by using the rpm -qa command with a grep filter.

i.e.

rpm -qa | grep qemu

This will tell you the exact package name you installed. Then, use rpm -e the_full_package_name_you_found_above to remove the package.

Unlike YUM, RPM is very specific about what it uninstalls. I don't believe a simple "rpm -e qemu" would work in this case. You need to specify the full installed name.

Also - you might have to use a --nodeps to force it.

So - as an example:

rpm -e --nodeps qemu-system-ppc-0.10.5-1.el5.2.ppc

would do it. You would, of course, replace qemu-system-ppc-0.10.5-1.el5.2.ppc with the actual name of the package that the rpm -qa command gives you.

In the future, if you use RPM or YUM (which uses RPM behind the scenes) to install programs, manually deleting files is not advised. RPM writes out the file information to a database. As you've found out, it doesn't actually care if the file is there or not.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Jenraux » 27 Mar 2010, 14:35

Lol thanks but unfortunatly i already reinstalled YDL, no biggie though, i backed up all my stuff on a 2gb flash drive.

Im having no luck with Qemu, for a start i cant find my WIn98 disc, probably threw it out years ago, so i 'acquired' the win95 and 98 image files .iso's. But linux is refusing to mount them saying that the iso files dont exist.

"mount -o loop win95.iso /Win95/'

Returns and error saying win95.iso is not a file or a directory, something like that.

I got it working once last night, and got onto the Win95 installation screen, but it said COMMAND.COM could not be found in C:\Windows\Windows, obviously.
Jenraux
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby ppietro » 28 Mar 2010, 06:29

Jenraux wrote:Lol thanks but unfortunatly i already reinstalled YDL, no biggie though, i backed up all my stuff on a 2gb flash drive.

Im having no luck with Qemu, for a start i cant find my WIn98 disc, probably threw it out years ago, so i 'acquired' the win95 and 98 image files .iso's. But linux is refusing to mount them saying that the iso files dont exist.

"mount -o loop win95.iso /Win95/'

Returns and error saying win95.iso is not a file or a directory, something like that.

I got it working once last night, and got onto the Win95 installation screen, but it said COMMAND.COM could not be found in C:\Windows\Windows, obviously.

You may have to force full paths with a "./"

e.g. If you loaded your win95.iso to your Desktop, the procedure might look like this:

su -l
<enter root password>
cd /home/(your_normal_user_name)/Desktop
mount -o loop ./win95.iso /Win95

Also - you'll want to make sure the /Win95 directory exists before you start this.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Beginner