Firefox 3.6 PPC

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

Firefox 3.6 PPC

Postby roshi » 31 Mar 2010, 23:40

Is anyone using the community build of Firefox 3.6 for PowerPC? I downloaded the binary and can not seem to get it to work.
http://www.ppcnux.com/?q=firefox-36x-co ... ux-powerpc is the PPCNUX description.

I downloaded the binary. I extracted it to my home directory. I created a launcher pointed to /home/firefox/firefox. I double click and nothing, nada, zip, zilch.

The version I have is 3.0.12 which works fine. Just looking to upgrade.

--roshi
--those who complain rarely read. those who read rarely complain.
roshi
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Re: Firefox 3.6 PPC

Postby ppietro » 01 Apr 2010, 00:07

roshi wrote:Is anyone using the community build of Firefox 3.6 for PowerPC? I downloaded the binary and can not seem to get it to work.
http://www.ppcnux.com/?q=firefox-36x-co ... ux-powerpc is the PPCNUX description.

I downloaded the binary. I extracted it to my home directory. I created a launcher pointed to /home/firefox/firefox. I double click and nothing, nada, zip, zilch.

The version I have is 3.0.12 which works fine. Just looking to upgrade.

--roshi

Not yet. We've had issues loading modern builds of Firefox on YDL. Instead, we've been using the Firefox builds that accompany CentOS - since YDL is derived from CentOS. What we - and by that, I mean me :) - basically do is take the CentOS SRPMS and re-build them in YDL.

If you look in PS3 Bodega, the latest version we've built is 3.0.14. You can download the RPMs here:

http://pleasantfiction.ipower.com/ps3li ... -1.ppc.rpm
and
http://pleasantfiction.ipower.com/ps3li ... -1.ppc.rpm

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby roshi » 01 Apr 2010, 00:12

I haven't added bodega to my repo, yet. I rarely keep up to date on anything :lol: . I wonder which OS the ppcNUX people were using? I'm off to download the RPM now.

--roshi
roshi
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby ppietro » 01 Apr 2010, 00:19

roshi wrote:I haven't added bodega to my repo, yet. I rarely keep up to date on anything :lol: . I wonder which OS the ppcNUX people were using? I'm off to download the RPM now.

--roshi

They're probably using Debian, from what I could see on that page you listed.

Be careful adding bodega. There's nothing wrong with it, per se - billb does good work! However - if you've been using the Fedora Extras/Livna/Dribble 3rd party repos, I think there may be some library conflicts with bodega. Adding individual RPMs should be fine - but don't think you want to add it to your repo list unless you're ready to switch to it full time.

Maybe billb can explain a little more about that. There's a good possibility that I'm just confused. :D

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby roshi » 01 Apr 2010, 00:46

Yep. I'll wait a while before adding it. I am slow to change, but I now have Firefox 3.0.14

Thanks for the help :D

--roshi
roshi
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby billb » 01 Apr 2010, 01:24

ppietro wrote:Be careful adding bodega. There's nothing wrong with it, per se - billb does good work! However - if you've been using the Fedora Extras/Livna/Dribble 3rd party repos, I think there may be some library conflicts with bodega. Adding individual RPMs should be fine - but don't think you want to add it to your repo list unless you're ready to switch to it full time.

Sounds like good advice to me. :)

The problem may be that packages from Livna were designed to work with what was available in Fedora Extras at the time. In the interest of moving forward, I eventually decided to have the ps3bodega repo for YDL 6.2 include packages built against only what was available from the default yellowdog repos (base, extras, and updates). Every time I tried to include the old stuff from livna and fedora-extras mixed with some newer packages in yellowdog-extras I eventually ended up with some issues.

It seems best to run with either:

1) yellowdog-base, yellowdog-updates, fedora-extras, livna, and dribble
(using the yum-protectbase plugin)

OR

2) yellowdog-base, yellowdog-updates, yellowdog-extras, and ps3bodega
(with no need for the yum-protectbase plugin)

Depending on what you have installed already, you could run into some issues if you drop Fedora Extras/Livna/Dribble and switch to all three yellowdog repos plus ps3bodega. It's likely that we could resolve most issues by uninstalling the offending packages and reinstalling versions from ps3bodega (if available).
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby roshi » 01 Apr 2010, 02:02

I'm glad i waited - and even happier that you are so quick to respond. I was thinking of disabling the fedora,dribble,livna and adding bodega. I was also going to protect bodega. Guess if the others are disabled, there is no need.

--roshi
roshi
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby ppietro » 04 Apr 2010, 08:18

Hiya!

I tried the downloading the binary. The reason it doesn't run is because it was compiled against a newer glibc:

Code: Select all
[paulp@yurie firefox]$ ./firefox
./firefox-bin: /lib/libpthread.so.0: version `GLIBC_2.6' not found (required by ./libnspr4.so)
[paulp@yurie firefox]$

I might try building it from source according to their instructions and linking against our libraries. Hmmm....

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ppietro » 04 Apr 2010, 11:57

Awww yeah - check it out:

Who's the man now, dog? ;)

Okay - so this is a build of Firefox 3.6.3:
firefox-3.6.3.en-US.linux-powerpc.tar.bz2

It is NOT an RPM. Instead, it's a binary archive. What you'll do is unbzip it, and extract it as a "firefox" folder. Inside that firefox folder is a file called firefox. This is the launcher. Double click to start. You'll want to create a symbolic link to this file in /usr/local/bin - I wouldn't move it out of the firefox folder.

Don't worry about the fact that the name is Namoroka - this is a non-branded build. I'll have to generate one of those next with a special build switch I need to look up. It's completely Firefox 3.6.3 - just without the branding.

Also - note there is no separate xulrunner folder. I don't know how this works exactly, but the entire Firefox 3.63 is contained within this firefox folder, just as it should be.

I built this via the instructions on the page here:
http://www.ppcnux.com/?q=firefox-36x-co ... ux-powerpc

with two caveats:

1. Actually - you don't want to name the file .mozconfig - you want to name it mozconfig without the dot if you're putting it in the build directory. You only want to name the file .mozconfig if you're putting it in your home directory and then you only want to do that if you want all of your mozilla build trees to build the same - which you generally don't.

2. I got this to build by forcing uname -m to ppc instead of ppc64 by using the setarch command for the build instructions. (Yes - it's the old 64bit vs. 32bit song and dance)
i.e.
setarch ppc make -f client.mk configure
setarch ppc make -f client.mk build

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby billb » 04 Apr 2010, 15:53

Nice -- what was the roadblock (or speedbump :P) with the RPM again? I remember there was some issue but don't recall what exactly ...
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Noons » 04 Apr 2010, 15:57

Nice! thank you sir. worked nicely.

this is how I went about it:

I downloaded the tar. bz2 to my desktop extracted it in the same location and then with the Terminal

cd /usr/local/bin
su
<password>
ln -s /home/Noons/Desktop/firefox/firefox

Restart firefox and she's a go :) thanks again
Fedora core 12; ps3 CECHA01; samsung 720p plasma; kernel 2.6.32
Noons
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby ppietro » 04 Apr 2010, 17:08

billb wrote:Nice -- what was the roadblock (or speedbump :P) with the RPM again? I remember there was some issue but don't recall what exactly ...

You know, I'm not sure. I tried building this directly from source before but hit some snag.

I'm not sure if it's the set of mozconfig switches they suggest, or the fact that I'm using setarch this time - or that they've simplified the code for 3.6.

But - it works now. Those who know about such things should probably be able to make an RPM now.

Here's my complete build procedure:

1. Download firefox-3.6.3.source.tar.bz2 from ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/relea ... .3/source/
  2. Unpack the archive (e.g. bzip2 -dc firefox-3.6.3.source.tar.bz2 | tar -xvf - ) It will create a folder called mozilla-1.9.2.
  3. cd mozilla-1.9.2
  4. In this mozilla-1.9.2 folder, create a file named mozconfig:

mozconfig
    . $topsrcdir/browser/config/mozconfig
    mk_add_options MOZ_OBJDIR=@TOPSRCDIR@/ff-opt
    ac_add_options --disable-tests
    ac_add_options --disable-debug
    ac_add_options --enable-optimize
    ac_add_options --without-system-nspr
    ac_add_options --without-system-zlib
    ac_add_options --without-system-jpeg
    ac_add_options --without-system-png
    ac_add_options --without-system-mng
    ac_add_options --enable-update-packaging
    ac_add_options --enable-update-channel=release
    ac_add_options --enable-crypto
    ac_add_options --with-distribution-id=ppcnux.org
    ac_add_options --with-l10n-base=..
    ac_add_options --enable-application=browser
    mk_add_options MOZ_CO_PROJECT=browser
    ac_add_options --enable-official-branding

(I added the line at the end - this is a change from the mozconfig suggested at the link above. The ac_add_options --enable-official-branding line is what changes it from Namoroka into Firefox. As long as you're not modifying source - and we're not - you're allowed to add that line.)
  5. setarch ppc make -f client.mk configure
  6. setarch ppc make -f client.mk build
  7. cd ff-opt
  8. make package
  9. cd dist/firefox
  10. ./firefox

and - that's it - you're running Firefox. You'll need about a gig free to build it. The "make package" step makes a firefox-3.6.3.en-US.linux-powerpc.tar.bz2 build archive in the dist directory - you probably won't need this for the RPM, come to think of it. But - it makes a clean install - this is what I uploaded. The firefox-3.6.3.en-US.linux-powerpc.tar.bz2 contains the firefox folder with everything you need to run the build in it.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby billb » 04 Apr 2010, 20:13

OK -- great! Thanks for posting the procedure.
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ppietro » 04 Apr 2010, 20:27

If you've downloaded it from my home server, you'll want to re-download it again. I've just posted a fully Firefox branded version up now.

Once again:
firefox-3.6.3.en-US.linux-powerpc.tar.bz2

Also - I put the firefox folder in /usr/local, then created a symbolic link to /usr/local/firefox/firefox in /usr/local/bin, and that does work very well - thanks, Noons.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby jbob0124 » 05 Apr 2010, 01:31

Billb, think we will see this in the ps3 repo anytime soon?
jbob0124
ydl lover
ydl lover

Next

Return to Beginner