Firefox 3.6 PPC

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

Re: Firefox 3.6 PPC

Postby billb » 05 Apr 2010, 01:47

Outlook is good. :wink:
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Silgrin4D » 05 Apr 2010, 10:51

Just want to add mess to this too short thread..

Does anybody know how to install an update to FF on a YDL 5? Just solved the yum problem with repositories (lynx installed instead of untar;), but Firefox is not listed in Software Updater and the new installer (or anything, that is d/loaded automatically from FF update page) does not work via click / doubleclick / extract into etc directory & link / any other way I can misuse or mutilate it. The versions mentioned here are for PS, while my machine is a 400MHz stationary G4.

Thx in advance, this is the last (I hope) problem that prevents me from starting daily and glorious YDL usage :mrgreen:
Silgrin4D
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 05 Apr 2010, 11:21

Silgrin4D wrote:Just want to add mess to this too short thread..

Does anybody know how to install an update to FF on a YDL 5? Just solved the yum problem with repositories (lynx installed instead of untar;), but Firefox is not listed in Software Updater and the new installer (or anything, that is d/loaded automatically from FF update page) does not work via click / doubleclick / extract into etc directory & link / any other way I can misuse or mutilate it. The versions mentioned here are for PS, while my machine is a 400MHz stationary G4.

Thx in advance, this is the last (I hope) problem that prevents me from starting daily and glorious YDL usage :mrgreen:

Nothing on the Firefox site will work. They don't have PowerPC Linux builds - only x86 Linux. :(

The binary of Firefox 3.6.3 that I generated in this thread is not PlayStation or Mac specific - as long as they're PowerPC, they can share code. It is a YDL 6.x version, though.

Sorry - you'll probably have to try to build a newer Firefox from scratch. Linux is only forwards compatible - older versions work with newer versions, but not vice versa. Since most of us - myself included - are using YDL 6.x, our code won't work with YDL 5.x.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CronoCloud » 06 Apr 2010, 01:54

ppietro wrote:
Who's the man now, dog? ;)

You are!

2. I got this to build by forcing uname -m to ppc instead of ppc64 by using the setarch command for the build instructions. (Yes - it's the old 64bit vs. 32bit song and dance)

That's strange, I think almost every source build I've ever done builds 32-bit by default. RPM builds that I tried with 6.1 defaulted to 64-bit though.

Ron Rogers Jr. (CronoCloud)
CECHE01 PS3 (MGS4 80GB Bundle) without OtherOS and with an upgraded 320GB HD
Running Fedora 23 on a Compaq Presario CQ5320F upgraded with a Phenom X4 and GT640
Vizio E221A1 22" 1080P TV with HDMI, using 1080P over HDMI
PSN ID: CronoCloudAuron
CronoCloud

Postby CronoCloud » 06 Apr 2010, 01:58

ppietro wrote: You'll need about a gig free to build it.

Cheers,
Paul

Ouch! Blasted PS3 partition schemes!

Ron Rogers Jr. (CronoCloud)
CECHE01 PS3 (MGS4 80GB Bundle) without OtherOS and with an upgraded 320GB HD
Running Fedora 23 on a Compaq Presario CQ5320F upgraded with a Phenom X4 and GT640
Vizio E221A1 22" 1080P TV with HDMI, using 1080P over HDMI
PSN ID: CronoCloudAuron
CronoCloud

Postby Silgrin4D » 06 Apr 2010, 02:08

ppietro wrote:Sorry - you'll probably have to try to build a newer Firefox from scratch

OK, earlier or later there will be time to mess with this. Maybe it is now.. What did you mean by "from scratch"? Just taking the source files and compiling them, or sth (even;) more complex?
Silgrin4D
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby roshi » 06 Apr 2010, 03:07

Glad you got it to work. Any issues yet? Are you using the 3.6 Add ons? Any Java issues?

-- I don't ask for much

--roshi

I now have 3.6 - told you i was slow.

-roshi

EDIT - Gnash 0.8.7 is not working as friendly as it once did! see post about Gnash/youtube/flash/ more of me whining like a five year old. (j/k - really, I don't care that much for youtube).
Attachments
firefox36.png
yeah!
firefox36.png (184.61 KiB) Viewed 17995 times
--those who complain rarely read. those who read rarely complain.
roshi
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby roshi » 06 Apr 2010, 04:04

OK PAUL - I'm complaining again! how do I get my Gnash 0.8.7 back to work in firefox 3.6?
roshi
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby ppietro » 06 Apr 2010, 05:34

roshi wrote:OK PAUL - I'm complaining again! how do I get my Gnash 0.8.7 back to work in firefox 3.6?

It's working for me in 3.6.3. Well - not perfectly - but Gnash seems okay.

If you enter "about:plugins" (without the quotes) in Firefox's address bar, what does it tell you?

It should list something like
Code: Select all
Shockwave Flash

File: libgnashplugin.so
    Version:
    Shockwave Flash 10.1 r999. Gnash 0.8.7, the GNU SWF Player. Copyright (C) 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
    Gnash comes with NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. You may redistribute copies of Gnash under the terms of the GNU General Public License. For more information about Gnash, see http://www.gnu.org/software/gnash. Compatible Shockwave Flash 10.1 r999.

BTW - I would suggest *not* uninstalling Firefox 3.0.14. I just copied the 3.6.3 firefox folder to my /usr/local directory, then made a symbolic link to /usr/local/bin/firefox from /usr/local/firefox/firefox. The reason this works is that /usr/local/bin is searched before /usr/bin.

However - if you uninstalled Firefox 3.0.14, you may have removed the /usr/lib/mozilla directory, where the /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libgnashplugin.so is usually located. This may be why gnash doesn't work - you may need to reinstall it. (i.e. make install)

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby roshi » 06 Apr 2010, 22:06

OK - weird! I have 3.6 running and about:plugins says there is no Gnash; however, from the Tools/Add-Ons / Plugins - I'm showing Shockwave Flash Gnash 0.8.7
The output of gnash -V is:

Copyright (C) 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
Gnash comes with NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
You may redistribute copies of Gnash under the terms of the GNU General
Public License. For more information, see the file named COPYING.

Build options 0.8.7
Target:
Renderer: agg - GUI: GTK - Media handler: ffmpeg
Configured with: --enable-gui=gtk --enable-media=ffmpeg --disable-speex --with-plugins-install=system
CXXFLAGS: -g -O2 -W -Wall -Wcast-align -Wcast-qual -Wpointer-arith -Wreturn-type -Wnon-virtual-dtor -Wunused -fvisibility-inlines-hidden
Version: release_0_8_7:11940
Built against ffmpeg version: Lavc51.40.4

I've checked the binary install directory /firefox/components and there is a list of links to

libgnashamf.so
libgnashbase.so
libgnashmedia.so
libgnashserver.so

these are described as broken links when browsing the directory in Nautilus. I don't know if this is because i've changed directories since extracting the binary file or what it could be. ??

I tried the make install command from within the gnash folder. No go.

I'm gonna keep tinkering with it.
roshi
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby roshi » 07 Apr 2010, 03:53

I'VE BOUGHT A ROPE AND NOW I'M AT THE END OF IT!

I'm going to recompile gnash from the latest bazaar trunk. Wonder why my links are showing broken in Nautilus browser? The gnash-plugin is a separate entity; however, i can't get it to reinstall (make install) from the Gnash directory. I don't recall running make clean.

I'll be here scratching my head and pounding keys for a bit.

--roshi
roshi
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby roshi » 07 Apr 2010, 04:07

ppietro wrote:If you've downloaded it from my home server, you'll want to re-download it again. I've just posted a fully Firefox branded version up now.

Once again:
http://www.weasel-bot.com/~paulp/ydl/fi ... pc.tar.bz2

Also - I put the firefox folder in /usr/local, then created a symbolic link to /usr/local/firefox/firefox in /usr/local/bin, and that does work very well - thanks, Noons.

Cheers,
Paul

ok! SO you created a symbolic link from /usr/local to /usr/local/firefox/firefox - if i extract my binary into another directory will that mess up the gnash links - they are showing broken for some reason? just thought i'd ask before reconfiguring / making the gnash 0.8.7 install.
roshi
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby ppietro » 07 Apr 2010, 04:49

roshi wrote:ok! SO you created a symbolic link from /usr/local to /usr/local/firefox/firefox - if i extract my binary into another directory will that mess up the gnash links - they are showing broken for some reason? just thought i'd ask before reconfiguring / making the gnash 0.8.7 install.

So - I installed Firefox 3.0.14 & Xulrunner 1.9.0.14 via YUM/RPM. This puts things in the /usr/lib and /usr/bin directories. At this point, I built Gnash from source and then built libgnashplugin.so - which installed to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins.

Here's the weird thing. Firefoxes can co-exist on the same system - and they'll look for a common plugin directory - namely /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins.

3.6.3 expands to one folder, instead of the twin RPMs that 3.0.14 uses. What makes this cool is that I just dropped the resultant 3.6.3 firefox folder into /usr/local, then put a symbolic link in /usr/local/bin:

[paulp@yurie plugins]$ cd /usr/local/bin
[paulp@yurie bin]$ ls -al|grep fire
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root      26 Apr  4 12:26 firefox -> /usr/local/firefox/firefox
[paulp@yurie bin]$

So - in Linux, /usr/local/bin is searched before /usr/bin:

[paulp@yurie bin]$ set|grep PATH
PATH=/usr/lib/qt-3.3/bin:/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/home/paulp/bin
[paulp@yurie bin]$

What I've done is effectively replaced one Firefox (3.0.14) with another (3.6.3). However - 3.6.3 will use all of my 3.0.14 plugins, since they're in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins.

Cool, huh?

There's other ways to do this, but since I had everything setup nicely for 3.0.14, this was sort of like an "instant replace" - and if I want to revert back to 3.0.14, I just delete the symbolic link.

BTW - be sure that when you compile gnash, you use the ./configure switch --with-plugins-install=system, then after the make & make install, you do a make install-plugin.

See here for an example:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=6853&p=37021#p34574

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby roshi » 07 Apr 2010, 05:17

OK _ here's the issue - I feel so STUPID (although I am not). All I needed to do was to uninstall the swfdec-mozilla plugin - even though it was disabled in my firefox 3.6 settings.

I now have Gnash working like it did in 3.0.14.

I have found that if I empty the cache and all private information before viewing each video, I get a 75% success rate with Gnash - call it crazy, but It has been working.

Thank you Paul - I know you try very hard to be kind with me :lol:

---roshi
roshi
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby roshi » 07 Apr 2010, 05:34

Now that we have 3.6, we should use the persona offered by our YDL friends.

This page http://psvoodoo.com/?cat=9

shows us this persona

http://www.getpersonas.com/persona/135059

Thanks Paul - I like this persona but i'm sure you like several of the PS3 / gamer personas. I hope you all get that PS3 Other OS thing worked out. - If you don't, I'll get you an apple really cheap :lol:

--roshi
roshi
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

PreviousNext

Return to Beginner