No Internet connection for apps while internet working well

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

No Internet connection for apps while internet working well

Postby Silgrin4D » 05 Apr 2010, 05:56

While trying add/remove software, Software Updater, etc. I always get the message
"Unable to retrieve software information. This could be caused by not having a network connection available"
despite my Net connection works at the level of Firefox at least (writing from the same machine!)

I tried downloading FireFox packages and installing manually, but also get errors. As the first one seems more general, would be glad to solve 1st one at least (it should help with others).

Do you have any idea what could be the problem? Not experienced with Linux, just starting Red.. ekhm, Yellow Dog;) so pls be exhaustive..
Silgrin4D
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: No Internet connection for apps while internet working well

Postby ppietro » 05 Apr 2010, 07:00

Silgrin4D wrote:While trying add/remove software, Software Updater, etc. I always get the message
"Unable to retrieve software information. This could be caused by not having a network connection available"
despite my Net connection works at the level of Firefox at least (writing from the same machine!)

I tried downloading FireFox packages and installing manually, but also get errors. As the first one seems more general, would be glad to solve 1st one at least (it should help with others).

Do you have any idea what could be the problem? Not experienced with Linux, just starting Red.. ekhm, Yellow Dog;) so pls be exhaustive..

Sounds like your repositories might be misconfigured. I'd start troubleshooting here:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4785

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: No Internet connection for apps while internet working well

Postby Silgrin4D » 05 Apr 2010, 09:01

posting.php?mode=reply&f=4&t=7298

Thanks, tried, but just got an error message I don't see in that (rather huge, I admit) thread. Posted there, hope the output will be useful. Thanks for help and looking fwd..
http://www.yellowdog-board.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4785&p=37835#p37835

P.S. Finally solved. Thx:)
Silgrin4D
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to Beginner