Install, remove, update, and...

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

Install, remove, update, and...

Postby Silgrin4D » 09 Apr 2010, 05:34

http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/resources/

OK, it tells everything but...
...not how to install apps from external sources. I found a number of apps that are not in YDL repositories that offer just "download version for Linux" option. OK, lets download and... what? Would be glad to see any idea where to proceed. These archives usually do not contain any file I could just run from a file browser, and there is no info how to install apps this way.
Silgrin4D
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Install, remove, update, and...

Postby ppietro » 09 Apr 2010, 07:16

Silgrin4D wrote:http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/resources/

OK, it tells everything but...
...not how to install apps from external sources. I found a number of apps that are not in YDL repositories that offer just "download version for Linux" option. OK, lets download and... what? Would be glad to see any idea where to proceed. These archives usually do not contain any file I could just run from a file browser, and there is no info how to install apps this way.

So - a little explanation before we begin. You may know this already, but let's review, just in case.

Not all Linuxes are the same. There are, basically, four main flavors of Linux - Gentoo, Slackware, Debian and Red Hat.

Each of these Linux distributions use a different binary installer method.

So - YDL is based on Red Hat. This means, we use RPM binary installers - files that end in .rpm. Other binary installers - like Debian's .deb - won't work. (or at least won't work without a lot of work)

From the terminal window, as root user, you can use the rpm -ivh command to manually install RPM files.

i.e.:
rpm -ivh some_cool_program.ppc.rpm

Now - that being said - not all RPM files are created equal.

Since you're running YDL, this means you have a computer with a PowerPC processor. Binary code for Intel processors - i.e. x86 or x86_64 - won't work. So - you must find PowerPC specific RPMs. These rpms will have the text "ppc", "ppc32" or "ppc64" in the title. I can't remember what Mac you have - but you might not be able to run the ppc64 rpms, unless you have a G5, I think. If you have a PS3, you should be able to run any of the ppc versions.

Wait - we're not done.

So - Red Hat Linux is actually split into two versions. Red Hat Enterprise and Fedora. Red Hat Enterprise is for businesses and scientific research - and lags about 3 versions behind Fedora. You can read more about that here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_hat_en ... tributions

YDL 6.x corresponds to Red Hat Enterprise 5.x

What this means to you, is that you can't use any RPMs for Fedora versions newer than Fedora Core 6 or so. If you try to install them, you will find that too many other files need to be updated - and if you do that, you may corrupt your system.

If you're still running YDL 5.x, that was based on Fedora Core 5, instead of Red Hat Enterprise. You can't use any RPMs for Fedora versions newer than Fedora Core 5.

Finally - we have a utility called YUM that automates the installation of RPMs. You may have played around with the GUI version of this - Add/Remove Software.

However - Red Hat Linuxes never include all the repositories you need. The Red Hat organization refuses to include software that may included copyrighted material. I explain that here:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2715&p=10004#p10004

So - we generally recommend adding some extra repositories. Even though you have a Mac, you can use the repositories here:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3017
or if you're running YDL 5.x:
viewtopic.php?t=2316

(I think we've been over the extra repo setup before. :D)

Hopefully - this post will clear up some of your questions, and make your YDL experience a little easier.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby hideeho » 24 Jul 2010, 01:13

Hello,

How do I update Firefox, Rhythmbox, and other apps? I'm a newbie, just installed ydl 6.2 on my mac g4 ppc.

I read followed this thread (helped me understand the types of linux, thanks) and the first page of 'Howto: Install software (the easy way) YDL 6' thread to add the additional repos. Then I used the 'Add/Remove software' interface to update. I thought it would update the apps, but I'm still running Firefox 3.0.16 and Rhythmbox 0.11.6

I got a few basic questions.
1. To get latest Firefox and Rhythmbox, do I need to download the source code and compile? I don't see them in the repos.

2. To update Rhythmbox, I'm guessing I'd have to update gstreamer first.

3. For any app that I compile from source code, I'm guessing I wouldn't see it listed in the 'Add/Remove software', since I didn't use yum to install it.

4. When installing new software using 'Add/Remove software' or yum, do I need to un-install the old software version first? I'm thinking the app software install instructions may explain whether to uninstall the old version.

Thank you
hideeho
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby hideeho » 24 Jul 2010, 04:26

Just read the post on installing/building Firefox 3.6 here
Firefox 3.6 build instructions
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7285#p37802

Based on these instructions,
1. Yes, I (or have someone) need to build from source to get latest firefox and rhythmbox.

4. No need to uninstall old version. Can install new version in diff directory and just create symbolic link to new executable.

Now, on to figure out how to update rhythmbox...
hideeho
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 24 Jul 2010, 04:47

Just FYI - YDL is based on Red Hat Enterprise Linux, via the CentOS recompile.

What this means is that the software versions are purposefully held back about three major releases.

There's more about it here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_hat_en ... tributions

The reason RHEL is built this way is to ensure stability. I explain it much better here than I can right now. (It's a sunny day - I can haz beer now!):
viewtopic.php?f=19&p=16307#p16307

So - what this means for you is that running the latest version of software can be tricky on YDL. Not impossible, but as you're finding out, you need to build it yourself, and be aware of the possible pratfalls.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby roshi » 24 Jul 2010, 13:56

I can't remember what Mac you have - but you might not be able to run the ppc64 rpms, unless you have a G5, I think

This is hit or miss. Running ydl on a G5 mac, I've been able to install some ppc64; however, you will find the majority is ppc32 and they work just fine.

P.S: your yum experience will be made much smoother if you install fastestmirror

from terminal become root then issue the following

yum install yum-plugin-fastestmirror

yum install yum-fastestmirror
--those who complain rarely read. those who read rarely complain.
roshi
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Return to Beginner