YDL on external hardrive

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

YDL on external hardrive

Postby andy_lowe02 » 17 Jun 2010, 04:47

Wondering if it possible to install YDL 6.2 on an extenal harddrive? If anybody has done it please hint me in to how to do it and install it,I know Ubuntu and other types of Linus can be run from an external but,is it possible with YDL? Any information is greatly appreciated. I was running YDL 6.2 on my PS3 until Sony came out with the 3.21 firmware update and it took away the OtherOS option and can no longer run it on my PS3.Now I'm trying to finda way to run on an external. ANY help is GREATLY APPRECIATED!Thanks for future help anybody!
andy_lowe02
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: YDL on external hardrive

Postby ppietro » 17 Jun 2010, 06:18

andy_lowe02 wrote:Wondering if it possible to install YDL 6.2 on an extenal harddrive? If anybody has done it please hint me in to how to do it and install it,I know Ubuntu and other types of Linus can be run from an external but,is it possible with YDL? Any information is greatly appreciated. I was running YDL 6.2 on my PS3 until Sony came out with the 3.21 firmware update and it took away the OtherOS option and can no longer run it on my PS3.Now I'm trying to finda way to run on an external. ANY help is GREATLY APPRECIATED!Thanks for future help anybody!

You've got two questions here.

Question one is - is it possible to install YDL on an external hard drive? The answer is mostly yes - there are restrictions on the boot volume, which usually must be internal - but that's not your main question.

Your main question is - now that my PS3 can no longer run YDL due to the 3.21 firmware update, can I run YDL anywhere else?

The answer is kinda.

First - YDL is designed to run on PowerPC processors - i.e. ppc. Most computers have Intel processors - i.e. x86 or x86_64. Therefore, you have to find a PowerPC based computer to run YDL, and they're pretty scarce nowadays.

The list of hardware you can use is here:
http://www.ydl.net/support/hardware/

Now that Sony has removed the PS3 as an option, the easiest machines to find are probably older, used Macintoshes - G4s or G5s.

So - I think we need to know more about what you'd like to do.

If you're asking "Can you use my (IBM) PC to run YDL on an external volume?", the answer is no, due to incompatible processors - x86 vs. ppc.

If you're asking "Can I buy a G4/G5 Mac to run YDL?", the answer is yes, since they're PowerPC.

All that being said - if you like the YDL experience - it's actually based on Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL). RHEL is Intel based. Unfortunately, it costs money - but there are free recompiles available. CentOS is the most popular - and is actually what YDL code is sourced from.

There's more about CentOS here:
http://www.centos.org/

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Beginner