farmville

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

farmville

Postby suddar » 21 Jun 2010, 03:43

Is there a way to play on 6.1?
suddar
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Re: farmville

Postby Iguana » 21 Jun 2010, 04:22

suddar wrote:Is there a way to play on 6.1?

Ooo easy question, based on my ipod touch (which has java, but no flash) I had to google up the game and I found out that it requires flash in order to play...
Sorry..

p.s. I love my ipod touch, it's like linux on the ps3, except that the only thing it has in common with linux on the ps3 is the web browser...
PS3 CECHLO1
GNOME Desktop
Yellowdog Linux 6.2
ihome keyboard
ihome gaming mouse (red)
Iguana
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby Iguana » 21 Jun 2010, 10:56

By looking more closely at your question:

I can recognize that you've already identified it as a flash game and you were wondering if there was an alternative method to play farmville...
I'm guessing that maybe some userscripts combined with greasemonkey might help, but idk, I'll experiment in a few hours and see if I can find a solution to you're problem...
My previous responce was just a guess that it can't work (which is usualy the outcome of most flashy related stuff on the ps3 linux), but then again I could always be wrong...
Oh and I don't have a facebook, so I'll try to find an alternative method to play flash games, but I'll have to test with a different flash related game..
In the end you're answer will probably be "no"... sorry..
PS3 CECHLO1
GNOME Desktop
Yellowdog Linux 6.2
ihome keyboard
ihome gaming mouse (red)
Iguana
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby ppietro » 21 Jun 2010, 12:02

Iguana wrote:By looking more closely at your question:

I can recognize that you've already identified it as a flash game and you were wondering if there was an alternative method to play farmville...

If it's primarily Action Script based - that's an older Flash technology - it might work with Gnash.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Iguana » 21 Jun 2010, 14:24

ppietro wrote:
Iguana wrote:By looking more closely at your question:

If it's primarily Action Script based - that's an older Flash technology - it might work with Gnash.

Cheers,
Paul

Hey guys I looked up the action script thing and, I found a website where they use actionscript based flash games: http://www.kendude.com/ and actionscript works with gnash :)
Also put your courser over the flash game while javas playing(I think its java, idk) and right click to --> file --> properties, and it'll display the movie flash vm properties; for instance all the games on the site I listed have these similar properties(for my example I've tested this game "verticaladvantage"):
Code: Select all
VM                            SWF6
_level0 SWFVersion            SWF6
_level0 URL         http://www.kendude.com/verticaladvantage.swf
Stage scripts                enabled
Topmost mouse entery:    _level0.instance1.instance4.(gnash_character depth):-16350

So, Im guessing these two lines are important, because it displays the flash version:
VM                            SWF6
_level0 SWFVersion            SWF6

And,

I compared this to a flash game that my mom play for free on yahoo "coffee buzz" and here's what I got:
VM                            SWF8
_lavel0 SWFVersion            SWF8
_level0 URL         http://l.yimg.com/jh/games/yahoo/coffee-buzz/coffee-buzz.swf
Stage-scripts                enabled
Topmost mouse entery:    _level0.instance1.instance4.(gnash::generic_character-id:232 depth;-16383

The only thing that works on this game is the java part in the begining and then its just a blank white screen..
So check what version of flash it is and hope its something less than SWF8, but idk up to which version actionscript is worked on to, and I couldn't find any good userscripts for this topic, sorry...
Also, I hope one of you guys can enlighten me based on the flash properties I've compared, up to which version actionscript is worked on to (ex. SWF?), just so I could have for knowledge on this..
Thanks, and I hope this helps a little..
PS3 CECHLO1
GNOME Desktop
Yellowdog Linux 6.2
ihome keyboard
ihome gaming mouse (red)
Iguana
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby ppietro » 21 Jun 2010, 17:39

Iguana wrote:So check what version of flash it is and hope its something less than SWF8, but idk up to which version actionscript is worked on to, and I couldn't find any good userscripts for this topic, sorry...

Okay - I did some research about ActionScript. :D

ActionScript doesn't quite work like that. There's internal ActionScript revisions that SWF files can use. An SWF10 file could use ActionScript 2.0 and be compatible with Gnash, while a SWF9 could use ActionScript 3.0 and not work. However, ActionScript 3.0 only became available with SWF9 or later, so that might be helpful. :D

From the Gnash wiki:
http://wiki.gnashdev.org/ExternalFlashM ... ideo_sites

Working streaming sites

* http://youtube.com

The AS2 player and embedded players work, newer AVM2 player doesn't.

According to Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_Scr ... pt_version

AS2 means ActionScript 2.0. AVM2 implies ActionScript 3.0

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Iguana » 22 Jun 2010, 03:36

ppietro wrote:
Iguana wrote:So check what version of flash it is and hope its something less than SWF8, but idk up to which version actionscript is worked on to, and I couldn't find any good userscripts for this topic, sorry...

ActionScript doesn't quite work like that. There's internal ActionScript revisions that SWF files can use. An SWF10 file could use ActionScript 2.0 and be compatible with Gnash, while a SWF9 could use ActionScript 3.0 and not work. However, ActionScript 3.0 only became available with SWF9 or later, so that might be helpful. :D

From the Gnash wiki:

Working streaming sites

According to Wikipedia:

Cheers,
Paul

We could debate about this more, because it's a good topic to go to war with and I have some stuff to say, but in the end Paul might prove me wrong on my points and I don't feel like getting into arguments. For now I'd like to say this:
It's too bad that they don't have technical hardware and software specifications for online games, I guess it would be nice for everyone else who isn't using x86 PC's... Also, it might help the Gnash team make Gnash more compatible in some way, but I doubt it...
PS3 CECHLO1
GNOME Desktop
Yellowdog Linux 6.2
ihome keyboard
ihome gaming mouse (red)
Iguana
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby ppietro » 22 Jun 2010, 04:18

Iguana wrote:For now I'd like to say this:
It's too bad that they don't have technical hardware and software specifications for online games, I guess it would be nice for everyone else who isn't using x86 PC's... Also, it might help the Gnash team make Gnash more compatible in some way, but I doubt it...

Can't argue with any of that! :D

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Iguana » 22 Jun 2010, 05:06

ppietro wrote:

Cheers,
Paul

No, its not the above quotes I'd wanna argue about, its actually in the quotes where I quoted you on your research about actionscript in my above post thats what I was preferring to, though for now it's nothing to worry about, but tomorrow we'll fight :evil:
p.s. Just don't lock this topic.. :roll:
PS3 CECHLO1
GNOME Desktop
Yellowdog Linux 6.2
ihome keyboard
ihome gaming mouse (red)
Iguana
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby ppietro » 22 Jun 2010, 06:20

Iguana wrote:
ppietro wrote:

Cheers,
Paul

No, its not the above quotes I'd wanna argue about,

Iguana - I know that. That was my feeble attempt at something called "a joke" or sometimes also known as "humor" :D

Iguana wrote:its actually in the quotes where I quoted you on your research about actionscript in my above post thats what I was preferring to, though for now it's nothing to worry about, but tomorrow we'll fight :evil:

Actually - we won't fight, since there's nothing to fight about.

Let me answer your previous question more thoroughly so you understand how it works a little better.

Iguana wrote:Also, I hope one of you guys can enlighten me based on the flash properties I've compared, up to which version actionscript is worked on to (ex. SWF?), just so I could have for knowledge on this..

So - ActionScript is a binary format inside SWF (Flash) files. You compile your Flash code to an actionscript level.

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_Scr ... pt_version

ActionScript 1.0 debuted with Flash 5:

Flash Player 5: Included the first version of ActionScript. Used prototype-based programming based on ECMAScript, and allowed full procedural programming and object-oriented programming.

ActionScript 2.0 debuted with Flash 7:

Flash Player 7: Additions include CSS styling for text and support for ActionScript 2.0, a programming language based on the ECMAScript 4 Netscape Proposal with class-based inheritance. However, ActionScript 2.0 can cross compile to ActionScript 1.0 byte-code, so that it can run in Flash Player 6.

ActionScript 3.0 debuted with Flash 9:

Flash Player 9 (initially called 8.5): Added ActionScript 3.0 with the advent of a new virtual machine, called AVM2 (ActionScript Virtual Machine 2), which coexists with the previous AVM1 needed to support legacy content.

The AVM1 legacy content means ActionScript 1.0 & 2.0. This means Flash Player 9 can run Actionscript 1.0 & 2.0 in AVM1 and ActionScript 3.0 in AVM2.

From http://www.gnu.org/software/gnash/

"Gnash is a GNU Flash movie player. Flash is an animation file format pioneered by Macromedia which continues to be supported by their successor company, Adobe. Flash has been extended to include audio and video content, and programs written in ActionScript, an ECMAScript-compatible language. Gnash is based on GameSWF, and supports most SWF v7 features and some SWF v8 and v9."

SWF v7 means ActionScript 2.0, as detailed above. A SWF v9 feature would be something simple like the ability to play h.264 files, which was only introduced with SWF 9.0.115.0 (Flash 9 Update 3)

Now, oddly enough, you can load ActionScript 1.0/2.0 in SWF 9. Go here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muLIPWjks_M

(Note - you may need Gnash 0.8.7 to view this. BTW - those properties you're posting aren't from Java. That File --> Properties menu is Gnash. Gnash 0.8.7 has a more extensive menu. )

Here's what the above video shows me:

Stage Properties
Root VM version      AVM1
Root SWF version     SWF 9

Cool, huh? AVM1 means ActionScript 1 or 2, running in a SWF 9 wrapper.

This currently doesn't work quite right with Gnash. The player loads, but the video doesn't play. However - this used to work - it broke about a month ago. I'm guessing 0.8.8 will fix this. :D

So - yeah - you really need a modern version of Gnash - like 0.8.7 or later - to tell what version of ActionScript is inside the Flash wrapper. You can use the table I posted above as a rough guide, but ActionScript is forwards compatible, so that's not always a guarantee.

Here's the ActionScript level in the examples you quoted, according to Gnash 0.8.7:

Vertical Advantage:
Root VM Version: AVM1
Root SWF Version: SWF 6

Coffee Buzz:
Root SWF version: SWF 8

And - indeed - Coffee Buzz does load in Gnash 0.8.7. However - the PS3 is too slow to actually play it. :D

And - for a different example, if you go here:
http://www.usatoday.com/life/default.htm

The ads on the right have:
Root VM Version: AVM2 (unsupported)
Root SWF version: SWF 10

(You may not get this all the time - the ads are random.)

Let me know if you have further questions about this. I'm always happy to help clear up Flash or Java questions. I'm better with Java - I'm a Java developer by training - but I have access to the Flash development tools at work, since my primary job is testing websites that include some Flash content.

Cheers,
Paul

Iguana wrote:p.s. Just don't lock this topic.. :roll:

Not yet, anyway. :)
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ppietro » 22 Jun 2010, 08:28

I just checked with the latest build of Gnash - Gnash 0.8.7. Farmville won't work - it's using ActionScript 3.0.

From Gnash 0.8.7 --> File --> Properties:

Root VM version AVM2 (unsupported)
Root SWF version SWF 10

So - unless Adobe releases a version of Flash for PowerPC, I think you're out of luck.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Iguana » 22 Jun 2010, 15:07

pssstt,
You have a lot of reading to do on this post, even though most of it's just quotes :P :lol:
ppietro wrote:

Cheers,
Paul

ppietro wrote:
Iguana wrote:No, its not the above quotes I'd wanna argue about,

Iguana - I know that. That was my feeble attempt at something called "a joke" or sometimes also known as "humor" :D

Oh I know, I just got annoyed :? and I took you're joke as a reason to want to start a fight :?
ppietro wrote:
Iguana wrote:its actually in the quotes where I quoted you on your research about actionscript in my above post thats what I was preferring to, though for now it's nothing to worry about, but tomorrow we'll fight :evil:

Actually - we won't fight, since there's nothing to fight about.

I know, sorry. :roll: I guess I'll go post fighting topics all over this site now :lol: because I guess most of you don't like fights. :x :? Oh and thaks for the bellow clarity, you did better this time...

ppietro wrote:Let me answer your previous question more thoroughly so you understand how it works a little better.

Iguana wrote:Also, I hope one of you guys can enlighten me based on the flash properties I've compared, up to which version actionscript is worked on to (ex. SWF?), just so I could have for knowledge on this..

So - ActionScript is a binary format inside SWF (Flash) files. You compile your Flash code to an actionscript level.

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_Scr ... pt_version

ppietro wrote:ActionScript 1.0 debuted with Flash 5:

Flash Player 5: Included the first version of ActionScript. Used prototype-based programming based on ECMAScript, and allowed full procedural programming and object-oriented programming.

ppietro wrote:ActionScript 2.0 debuted with Flash 7:

Flash Player 7: Additions include CSS styling for text and support for ActionScript 2.0, a programming language based on the ECMAScript 4 Netscape Proposal with class-based inheritance. However, ActionScript 2.0 can cross compile to ActionScript 1.0 byte-code, so that it can run in Flash Player 6.

ppietro wrote:ActionScript 3.0 debuted with Flash 9:

Flash Player 9 (initially called 8.5): Added ActionScript 3.0 with the advent of a new virtual machine, called AVM2 (ActionScript Virtual Machine 2), which coexists with the previous AVM1 needed to support legacy content.

ppietro wrote:The AVM1 legacy content means ActionScript 1.0 & 2.0. This means Flash Player 9 can run Actionscript 1.0 & 2.0 in AVM1 and ActionScript 3.0 in AVM2.

From http://www.gnu.org/software/gnash/

"Gnash is a GNU Flash movie player. Flash is an animation file format pioneered by Macromedia which continues to be supported by their successor company, Adobe. Flash has been extended to include audio and video content, and programs written in ActionScript, an ECMAScript-compatible language. Gnash is based on GameSWF, and supports most SWF v7 features and some SWF v8 and v9."

SWF v7 means ActionScript 2.0, as detailed above. A SWF v9 feature would be something simple like the ability to play h.264 files, which was only introduced with SWF 9.0.115.0 (Flash 9 Update 3)

Now, oddly enough, you can load ActionScript 1.0/2.0 in SWF 9. Go here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muLIPWjks_M

(Note - you may need Gnash 0.8.7 to view this. BTW - those properties you're posting aren't from Java. That File --> Properties menu is Gnash. Gnash 0.8.7 has a more extensive menu. )

Duh, their from gnash's properties and when I said java in my above post, I was preferring to the beginning part of a flash game(the part that still works, before the game actually starts), for example coffee buzz, I think at the beginning the main menu is java, because that works and when I entered the game it didn't work, so I conclude by saying it's flash, but I guess I was wrong, maybe its all flash and like you said
And - indeed - Coffee Buzz does load in Gnash 0.8.7. However - the PS3 is too slow to actually play it. :D

ppietro wrote:Here's what the above video shows me:

Stage Properties
Root VM version      AVM1
Root SWF version     SWF 9

Cool, huh? AVM1 means ActionScript 1 or 2, running in a SWF 9 wrapper.

This currently doesn't work quite right with Gnash. The player loads, but the video doesn't play. However - this used to work - it broke about a month ago. I'm guessing 0.8.8 will fix this. :D

So - yeah - you really need a modern version of Gnash - like 0.8.7 or later - to tell what version of ActionScript is inside the Flash wrapper. You can use the table I posted above as a rough guide, but ActionScript is forwards compatible, so that's not always a guarantee.

I know, I think I have the standard version of gnash that came with YDL, and I did try to compile 0.8.7, but it's sort of hard and I gave up when I found out that youtube updates their flash scripts too often, plus I have no space in linux (~605.??mb in linux, boo :( ) but at least I got java working in firefox(I think javas' more user friendly than flash/gnash when it comes to ppc).

ppietro wrote:Here's the ActionScript level in the examples you quoted, according to Gnash 0.8.7:

Vertical Advantage:
Root SWF Version: SWF 6

Coffee Buzz:
Root SWF version: SWF 8

And - for a different example, if you go here:
http://www.usatoday.com/life/default.htm

The ads on the right have:
Root VM Version: AVM2 (unsupported)
Root SWF version: SWF 10

(You may not get this all the time - the ads are random.)

Let me know if you have further questions about this. I'm always happy to help clear up Flash or Java questions. I'm better with Java - I'm a Java developer by training - but I have access to the Flash development tools at work, since my primary job is testing websites that include some Flash content.

Cheers,
Paul

Iguana wrote:p.s. Just don't lock this topic.. :roll:

Not yet, anyway. :)

I guess in the end we won't fight :mrgreen: because you already answered my questions. I guess next time you need to add more details, because I got lost with this:
ppietro wrote:

From the Gnash wiki:

ppietro wrote: Working streaming sites

ppietro wrote:According to Wikipedia:

Cheers,
Paul

Mmmm, what else was I going to say... Oh yes, Farmville:
ppietro wrote:

I just checked with the latest build of Gnash - Gnash 0.8.7. Farmville won't work - it's using ActionScript 3.0.

From Gnash 0.8.7 --> File --> Properties:

Root VM version AVM2 (unsupported)
Root SWF version SWF 10

So - unless Adobe releases a version of Flash for PowerPC, I think you're out of luck.

Cheers,
Paul

Farmville came out on
Release date(s) Friday, June 19 2009
here's the wiki site for reference http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FarmVille
ppietro wrote:while a SWF9 could use ActionScript 3.0 and not work. However, ActionScript 3.0 only became available with SWF9 or later, so that might be helpful. :D
ppietro wrote:The AS2 player and embedded players work, newer AVM2 player doesn't.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_Script#Timeline_by_ActionScript_version
2006–today: ActionScript 3.0 In June 2006, ActionScript 3.0 debuted with Adobe Flex 2.0 and its corresponding player, Flash Player 9. ActionScript 3.0 was a fundamental restructuring of the language, so much so that it uses an entirely different virtual machine.
Soo from my understanding most actionscripts in flash were revised to meet 3.0 standards of actionscript, but still even the new actionscripts could be composed of lets say 2.0+1.0, or 1.0+3.0, or 2.0+3.0, etc... so Paul's right Farmville won't work. :oops: :roll:

Sorry that it's all spaced out but it wont let me preview or submit anything with more than 3 quotes per quote. :evil: :twisted:
Last edited by Iguana on 23 Jun 2010, 18:40, edited 1 time in total.
PS3 CECHLO1
GNOME Desktop
Yellowdog Linux 6.2
ihome keyboard
ihome gaming mouse (red)
Iguana
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby Iguana » 22 Jun 2010, 15:51

:P Hey Paul,
I got an idea :idea: maybe you can give me a list of debatable topics that people would want to fight about and I'll chose some and post them in the off topic section, what do you think :?:
PS3 CECHLO1
GNOME Desktop
Yellowdog Linux 6.2
ihome keyboard
ihome gaming mouse (red)
Iguana
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby Iguana » 23 Jun 2010, 18:42

Iguana wrote::P Hey Paul,
I got an idea :idea: maybe you can give me a list of debatable topics that people would want to fight about and I'll chose some and post them in the off topic section, what do you think :?:

Actually never mind, I don't really want fights, I gave up on that idea...
PS3 CECHLO1
GNOME Desktop
Yellowdog Linux 6.2
ihome keyboard
ihome gaming mouse (red)
Iguana
ydl addict
ydl addict

Return to Beginner