How to get connected to the internet

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

How to get connected to the internet

Postby Scout » 27 Jun 2010, 22:58

I am a "Newbee" to the Linux world but I am trying very hard to get YDL configured on my PS3. I have a Verizon 3G USB modem and would like to use it to connect to the internet. I have read several post from others but just can't seem to get it to work. I tried downloading vwdial and installing it but it wouldn't work. After reading some other post I realized there is more to it than that.
My question is "Could someone please put me in the right direction?" Maybe some step by step instructions or refer me to some really useful post that relate to what I am trying to achieve.
Again, I have installed YDL 6.2 on my PS3.
Thanks for any help you can provide!!! :wink:
Scout
ydl newbie
ydl newbie
 
Posts: 4
Joined: 27 Jun 2010, 22:11

Re: How to get connected to the internet

Postby Iguana » 28 Jun 2010, 00:16

Scout wrote:I am a "Newbee" to the Linux world but I am trying very hard to get YDL configured on my PS3. I have a Verizon 3G USB modem and would like to use it to connect to the internet. I have read several post from others but just can't seem to get it to work. I tried downloading vwdial and installing it but it wouldn't work. After reading some other post I realized there is more to it than that.
My question is "Could someone please put me in the right direction?" Maybe some step by step instructions or refer me to some really useful post that relate to what I am trying to achieve.
Again, I have installed YDL 6.2 on my PS3.
Thanks for any help you can provide!!! :wink:

Hey Scout :D
Verizon 3G usb modem? Whats that? Is it a wireless usb transmitters, because you wouldn't need it, that's why there's wireless internet..
I have Verizon, but I'm wondering how do you want to connect to the internet? via "wifi" or a "wired cable"?
You could also check this out --->> http://www.yellowdog-board.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4534
Post back if you don't have any luck, so we could help you out..
PS3 CECHLO1
GNOME Desktop
Yellowdog Linux 6.2
ihome keyboard
ihome gaming mouse (red)
Iguana
ydl addict
ydl addict
 
Posts: 120
Joined: 01 Apr 2010, 22:49
Location: Florida

Re: How to get connected to the internet

Postby Scout » 28 Jun 2010, 03:07

Iguana, I have a USB "Air Card" as some folks call it. It's a USB Modem that runs off of a 3G network. I am in a remote location and it is the fastest internet service in my area. I do not have WIFI or a network set up at my house yet but soon to come. I was wanting to get this USB Modem set up untill I can get a better ISP. Thanks for your feed back and your efforts in helping! :D
Scout
ydl newbie
ydl newbie
 
Posts: 4
Joined: 27 Jun 2010, 22:11

Re: How to get connected to the internet

Postby Iguana » 28 Jun 2010, 04:34

Scout wrote:Iguana, I have a USB "Air Card" as some folks call it. It's a USB Modem that runs off of a 3G network. I am in a remote location and it is the fastest internet service in my area.

Ahh, I see it's some thing like this --->> http://www.evdoinfo.com/content/view/2597/64/ <<--- I had to google it, but it looks pretty neat..
I'll see if I can help set up you're usb modem later this week, if not, then there probably would be someone else that might help too :mrgreen:
or maybe you're better off waiting for a wifi or a network set up at you're house, but idk :roll: we'll see how this goes...
PS3 CECHLO1
GNOME Desktop
Yellowdog Linux 6.2
ihome keyboard
ihome gaming mouse (red)
Iguana
ydl addict
ydl addict
 
Posts: 120
Joined: 01 Apr 2010, 22:49
Location: Florida

Re: How to get connected to the internet

Postby Scout » 28 Jun 2010, 04:47

Iguana, Sounds good. Thanks for any help you can provide! :mrgreen:
Scout
ydl newbie
ydl newbie
 
Posts: 4
Joined: 27 Jun 2010, 22:11

Re: How to get connected to the internet

Postby Iguana » 30 Jun 2010, 00:46

I was wondering what happens when you connect the usb modem to you're ps3? How 'and/or' what does it show up as?
Also, what happens when you configure the wireless network? (I'm guessing you can't configure wired networking, because linux would need to read it as a cable that goes in the ps3 :( )
In the end I'm guessing nothing happens, because this is a new technology, but it would be interesting to know how linux read's it when you connect it to you're ps3..
Oh and tell me what errors you get when you connect it to the ps3, or when you configure wireless, or just any errors at all; because it could be helpful...

Also, maybe you could try searching up in Google "how to connect a usb modem in Fedora" or to any other redhat based linux (the closest ones to YDL would be: Fedora, Centos, and Redhat Enterprise Linux)

Good luck...
PS3 CECHLO1
GNOME Desktop
Yellowdog Linux 6.2
ihome keyboard
ihome gaming mouse (red)
Iguana
ydl addict
ydl addict
 
Posts: 120
Joined: 01 Apr 2010, 22:49
Location: Florida

Re: How to get connected to the internet

Postby Scout » 30 Jun 2010, 01:01

Iguana wrote:I was wondering what happens when you connect the usb modem to you're ps3? How 'and/or' what does it show up as?
Also, what happens when you configure the wireless network? (I'm guessing you can't configure wired networking, because linux would need to read it as a cable that goes in the ps3 :( )
In the end I'm guessing nothing happens, because this is a new technology, but it would be interesting to know how linux read's it when you connect it to you're ps3..
Oh and tell me what errors you get when you connect it to the ps3, or when you configure wireless, or just any errors at all; because it could be helpful...


Iguana,
When I connect my modem it powers on but Linux doesn't recognize it. I get no errors or anything. Kind of odd. I would think that it would recognize it in some way but it doesn't. I'm not sure if it (Linux) would pop up an error or log the errors somewhere.
Scout
ydl newbie
ydl newbie
 
Posts: 4
Joined: 27 Jun 2010, 22:11

Re: How to get connected to the internet

Postby Iguana » 30 Jun 2010, 01:07

Scout wrote:
Iguana wrote:I was wondering what happens when you connect the usb modem to you're ps3? How 'and/or' what does it show up as?
Also, what happens when you configure the wireless network? (I'm guessing you can't configure wired networking, because linux would need to read it as a cable that goes in the ps3 :( )
In the end I'm guessing nothing happens, because this is a new technology, but it would be interesting to know how linux read's it when you connect it to you're ps3..
Oh and tell me what errors you get when you connect it to the ps3, or when you configure wireless, or just any errors at all; because it could be helpful...


Iguana,
When I connect my modem it powers on but Linux doesn't recognize it. I get no errors or anything. Kind of odd. I would think that it would recognize it in some way but it doesn't. I'm not sure if it (Linux) would pop up an error or log the errors somewhere.

Hmmm, See if you can find any thing with this
Iguana wrote:Also, maybe you could try searching up in Google "how to connect a usb modem in Fedora" or to any other redhat based linux (the closest ones to YDL would be: Fedora, Centos, and Redhat Enterprise Linux)

Good luck...

Sorry, I edited my post while you were on typing up you're above post.... :?
PS3 CECHLO1
GNOME Desktop
Yellowdog Linux 6.2
ihome keyboard
ihome gaming mouse (red)
Iguana
ydl addict
ydl addict
 
Posts: 120
Joined: 01 Apr 2010, 22:49
Location: Florida

Re: How to get connected to the internet

Postby pwall » 06 Jul 2010, 21:39

Hi Scout

Did you you manage to get the Verizon Aircard to work with YDL?

If not I will relay some of my experiences with getting a 3G modem to work with YDL and try to assist you :-)

I am currently typing on a Powerbook G4 running YDL 6.2 and connected to the internet via a Huawei e270 3G USB modem. I have also gotten this modem to work with YDL on a PS3.

To get a 3G USB modem to work it will have to be both supported by the kernel and have a program configured to dial it with your ISP's settings. In my case I found that the 3G modem worked on the PS3 with the stock YDL kernel but not before providing the modprobe command with the appropriate vendor and product ID. On the other hand it didn't work on the Powerbook G4 with the modprobe command using the stock kernel so I downloaded the latest stable kernel source and compiled a new kernel (2.6.34). With 2.6.34 the modem is recognised automatically and doesn't require the modprobe command - Happy Days!

There is one potential issue that you may have to watch out for and that is the need to switch the aircard from a flash storage device to a modem. This is because many (all?) 3G USB modem's are a combo device that have flash memory, with Windows drivers, and are also a modem. When the device is connected to a Windows PC it is first detected as flash storage giving the option to install the drivers. Subsequently once the drivers are installed the device (in Windows) will automatically switch to being a modem. In Linux you need a program called USB_ModeSwitch to do the same thing. Having said all that I found that USB_ModeSwitch wasn't needed for my Huawei as it was automatically recognised as a modem.

To get you up and running can you tell me exactly what the model number of your modem is and do you see it on this list https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NetworkManager/Hardware/3G ? Wvdial won't work unless the modem is first recognised by YDL and if we can get the modem recognised you will be more than half way there :-)

All the best


Pat
pwall
ydl beginner
ydl beginner
 
Posts: 28
Joined: 31 Jul 2009, 13:49

Re: How to get connected to the internet

Postby roblmi » 08 Aug 2012, 05:14

Hi Pat,

A little off subject, But could you lead me to a light at the end of the USB cable for my new world Imac 20"?
I am running YDL 6.1, and am trying to connect to the internet through a Huawei modem myself. Here are the stats, and thanks

Software Version:
986.11.352.04.108
Hardware Version:
WL1EC5805M
Device Name:
EC5805 <-- Model number, I think.
roblmi
ydl newbie
ydl newbie
 
Posts: 1
Joined: 08 Aug 2012, 04:54


Return to Beginner

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest