Octane render

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

Octane render

Postby ettore » 17 Oct 2010, 19:20

Hi to everybody, :D

Just installed ydl for cuda,and after that i have downloaded octane render demo.I have now a file executable,dont know how to run it.Must be installed?
Thanks to all of you helping me this issue.
ettore
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Octane render

Postby aguilarojo » 17 Oct 2010, 23:55

ettore wrote:Hi to everybody, :D

Just installed ydl for cuda,and after that i have downloaded octane render demo.I have now a file executable,dont know how to run it.Must be installed?

Hi ettore, as you probably know YDL for CUDA, can only function on a computer using the Intel architecture. Fixstar's posts that information here.

This also means that you should be able to run and execute any .exe file running on Intel systems within any x_86 Linux (meaning Linux which runs on Intel and compatible architectures) - which includes currently produced Intel based Macs. There should be differences, in my view, between .exe files designed for operating within Linux as opposed to .exe files intended to be executed within Windows. I could be wrong.

I currently only run YDL on a PowerPC based Mac, so others will have to address this technical point.

Before you install any .exe file I'd advise that you read the directions in detail regarding that file's function. There are ways, using the strategies of Linux System Administration, to set up a protected area within YDL so that you can test any .exe file within that restricted directory and partition before that same .exe file is introduced to your standard YDL installation. Setting all that up properly is a lot of work and requires specific knowledge.

Normally beginners in Linux are unaware that these and other self-defense strategies are even possible or necessary.

Au contrare, mon amis. Au contrare.

Good Luck...
Last edited by aguilarojo on 19 Oct 2010, 01:34, edited 1 time in total.

Everything on the Earth has a purpose.
Every disease an herb to cure it.
And every person has a mission.
This is the Indian Theory of Existence.
-- Morning Dove, Salish (1888-1936)
aguilarojo
ydl guru
ydl guru

Re: Octane render

Postby ppietro » 18 Oct 2010, 05:09

ettore wrote:Hi to everybody, :D

First - make sure this is the file you downloaded:
http://www.refractivesoftware.com/downl ... ux_x64.tgz

Next, this demo was distributed as a tar/gzip archive. You have to expand it to run it.

Here's the the way I expand tar/gzip archives. Assuming you've downloaded the archive to your desktop, open up a terminal window, and type the following:

Code: Select all
cd ~/Desktop
gzip -dc OctaneRender_DEMO_1022_beta22_linux_x64.tgz |tar -xvf -

Capitalization is important, as well as the spaces.

From there, it appears to extract three files: octanedemo, Octane_LICENSE.txt and readme.txt

You should be able to run it by opening a terminal window, and executing it.

Code: Select all
cd ~/Desktop
./octanedemo

If it doesn't run, you'll have to manually add the libraries it's missing.

Unfortunately, I don't have YDL for CUDA right now - I'm using the PS3 version. So - that's about as far as I can help you tonight.

Good luck! :D

Cheers,
Paul

P.S. Is this your post here?:
http://www.refractivesoftware.com/forum ... =25&t=4044

If that is you, it does appear that you've extracted the file correctly. It also appears that you're missing necessary libraries. Most likely, it's something called GLEW: The OpenGL Extension Wrangler Library:
http://glew.sourceforge.net/

This doesn't appear to have pre-compiled Linux binaries. Instead, you'll have to download the source, build it, and install it. We have a quick guide to building software here:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4800
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Beginner