INSTALLING YELLOW DOG WITH A FLASH DRIVE

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

INSTALLING YELLOW DOG WITH A FLASH DRIVE

Postby CD2573 » 19 Dec 2010, 19:10

I get the bootloader to work but can get the install to run using my flash drive as my cd rom is broken when i put install it cant fine the file what can I do?
CD2573
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: INSTALLING YELLOW DOG WITH A FLASH DRIVE

Postby aguilarojo » 24 Dec 2010, 16:09

CD2573 wrote:I get the bootloader to work but can get the install to run using my flash drive as my cd rom is broken when i put install it cant fine the file what can I do?

As best as I remember TSS, before it morphed into Fixstars, once developed a limited use version of a YDL bootable flash drive but I don't think it was offered ever again. In other words, unless Fixstars revives the effort to make such a device you are probably on your own.

I don't believe the effort you've engaged upon is impossible; I do believe however this is not an effort anyone without advanced skills and experience should attempt lest the whole project eventually consume all the time you have. Unfortunately even if you are prepared, this particular effort could lead to experiences of frustration one wouldn't wish upon anyone.

One work around is to remember that standard install YDL disks were designed to run from the internal CD/DVD drive, not anywhere else. So in the interest of saving time it would be faster to replace the internal cd-rom you report as broken, as it is unlikely that a flash drive would be recognized as a boot drive because the USB ports identify external devices by definition.

Everything on the Earth has a purpose.
Every disease an herb to cure it.
And every person has a mission.
This is the Indian Theory of Existence.
-- Morning Dove, Salish (1888-1936)
aguilarojo
ydl guru
ydl guru

Re: INSTALLING YELLOW DOG WITH A FLASH DRIVE

Postby ppietro » 24 Dec 2010, 21:45

CD2573 wrote:I get the bootloader to work but can get the install to run using my flash drive as my cd rom is broken when i put install it cant fine the file what can I do?

What platform - Mac or PS3?

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Beginner