Buying ppc G4 and want to do a clear os like set up

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

Buying ppc G4 and want to do a clear os like set up

Postby Omnios » 15 Mar 2011, 04:36

Hi I just snagged a mac ppc G4 1.2 ghz dual 764meg ram 80g hd PowerPC 7455 (G4)x2 (FW 800). I am going to play with the mac os for a bit but want to use it in a set up similar to the clear os linux set up as a router using airport and a couple ethernet cards. I want to set up a router where I have control over everything and possibly anti intrusion. Also would like to set up a web and file server with it. Not sure if I could do all this with mac os but so far my options are Yellow Dog or a port branch of Arch. Anyways what are my options and this might be a good project to work on for ppc computers making a package similar to clear os for ppc's.

Any insight , suggestions?
Omnios
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Buying ppc G4 and want to do a clear os like set up

Postby aguilarojo » 16 Mar 2011, 04:27

Omnios wrote:Hi I just snagged a mac ppc G4 1.2 ghz dual 764meg ram 80g hd PowerPC 7455 (G4)x2 (FW 800). I am going to play with the mac os for a bit but want to use it in a set up similar to the clear os linux set up as a router using airport and a couple ethernet cards. I want to set up a router where I have control over everything and possibly anti intrusion. Also would like to set up a web and file server with it. Not sure if I could do all this with mac os but so far my options are Yellow Dog or a port branch of Arch. Anyways what are my options and this might be a good project to work on for ppc computers making a package similar to clear os for ppc's.

Any insight , suggestions?

Dear Omnios:
Your description of the system you acquired suggests that you should be able to use YDL 5 through YDL 6.2. I don't recall which Apple OS was in use at that time. I guess that you should be able to use OS X 10.3 (Panther) or 10.4 (Tiger), if you do choose to use the Apple OS, you'll be able to dual-boot back and forth between OS X and YDL with no difficulty. This will allow you to use the Mac OS for it's splendid video and graphic software and use YDL as the workhorse system you intend to build. If you use the computer as a file server, you won't need Apple at all as YDL can do that just fine.

Everything on the Earth has a purpose.
Every disease an herb to cure it.
And every person has a mission.
This is the Indian Theory of Existence.
-- Morning Dove, Salish (1888-1936)
aguilarojo
ydl guru
ydl guru

Return to Beginner