Turn Graphics Colors off

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

Turn Graphics Colors off

Postby zebralips » 29 May 2011, 16:20

hello
i am working with a Mac G4 10.4 OS. With YDL on top of that.
The graphics card is not working well. I did damage the graphics card last year with a install of 10.5 OS.
Question:
How can a person turn the graphics colors off, and to set all graphics to black and white. every thing white and all text black.

I am comfortable working with the Terminal.

I am adventuring into Linux to explore the back end. i do not have a need for a GUI.

What is there when the GUI is gone, white text on a black screen. It would be nice to have access to The Terminal App, to have a few terminal apps up at one time.

So i would have to live with a GUI just to have access to Terminal Application[s], plural.

And this one sided conversation loops back around. Living with the GUI and trying to turn off Graphics Colors just to have access to the Terminal App.

any assistance here would be appreciated.
Thank you.

Or how to uninstall.
zebralips
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Turn Graphics Colors off

Postby billb » 29 May 2011, 18:05

zebralips wrote:What is there when the GUI is gone, white text on a black screen. It would be nice to have access to The Terminal App, to have a few terminal apps up at one time.

You can use this command to invert the colors on a virtual console (no gui):

setterm -inversescreen on|off

So to turn on inversescreen that would be:

Code: Select all
setterm -inversescreen on

See man setterm for more info.

Still not exactly what you're asking for because some text will still be in color ... not sure how to do that without looking into it more. Maybe someone else will chime in with a better idea. :wink:

Also, you can use Ctrl-Alt-[F1-F6] to switch between virtual consoles. Ctrl-Alt-F7 would switch back to the GUI if you're still running that.
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Turn Graphics Colors off

Postby zebralips » 31 May 2011, 00:31

Thank you bllb
I am running a G4 Mac OS X 10.4.
The instructions at YDL are gear`d towards the ps 2 and 3`s and with some tweaking will work with the G4.
Thank you.
zebralips
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to Beginner