Newbie needs YDL for Pismo....

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

Newbie needs YDL for Pismo....

Postby bondtrails » 29 Jun 2011, 23:11

Hi folks,
I am new to YDL and the PPC architecture (but have had some experience installing linux on intel).

I recently acquired a Powerbook G3 (Pismo) which boots fine into OS 9 and OS X, but I want to make this my Linux machine.

I looked in the "Older Hardware" section and didn't find much info installing YDL on this machine so I thought I would ask the community for some help. Here are my questions:

1. What is the latest version of YDL that will install and run on a Pismo?
2. Where can I download this version of YDL? (preferably an ISO image so I can burn to a CD or DVD)
3. Can I install YDL and boot from a Firewire drive, or does it need to be installed on the primary drive?
4. Where can I find a "How to" manual for installation on this specific machine?

Thanks very much for your assistance!

--Bondster
:D :shock: :D :shock: :D :shock:
bondtrails
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Newbie needs YDL for Pismo....

Postby ppietro » 30 Jun 2011, 02:47

PREFACE: I'm a PS3 owner - not a Mac owner - so I can't answer all of your questions. That being said....

bondtrails wrote:I recently acquired a Powerbook G3 (Pismo) which boots fine into OS 9 and OS X, but I want to make this my Linux machine.

The guide to YDL version vs. hardware is here:
http://www.ydl.net/support/hardware/others.shtml

I think this is the section applicable to your model, since the previous version cut-off with the Wall Street & PDQ PowerBooks:

The following WERE officially supported through Yellow Dog Linux v4.x and may function with the current release if netbooted from a local server or if CD images are prepared. "Pre-DVD" Apple computers were not able to boot from a DVD disk image and therefore required the use of multiple CD images which were not officially supported by Fixstars with the release of YDL v5.x, but were posted to public mirrors:

Pre-DVD Power Macs, Powerbooks, iMacs, iBooks, eMac

You might be even in this category:

The following WERE officially supported through Yellow Dog Linux v5.x and may function with the current release, with some devices (ie: sound, video) not fully supported. In addition, those which do not offer a bootable DVD reader may require netbooting or the use of CD ROM images.

New World ROM G3s (anything before the G4 product line): Blue & White tower, iMac G3, iBook G3

since I think you have a New World ROM. I would try YDL 5.0.x first, then work backwards from there. As for finding images, you can find 5.0x here:
http://ydl.oregonstate.edu/iso/

If you need older versions, they're here:
http://ftp.caliu.cat/pub1/distribucions/yellowdog/iso/

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Beginner