The future of YDL, Asus adapter and Dropbox

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

The future of YDL, Asus adapter and Dropbox

Postby canhoto » 26 Sep 2011, 23:31

Hi.

I have to congratulate the developers of YDL for this perfect Linux distribution, at least from the point of view of an Apple Power Mac user.
After several trials with Ubuntu, Debian and some other distributions, but especially with Debian and Ubuntu, where there was always something going wrong and I thought many times about giving up my Linux experiences, I finally decided to try YDL. I was astonished: very simple and clear installation, no hard drive problems, no screen resolution and image position problems, no network problems, and a clean and nice GUI for me to use on my Power Mac G4 (Sawtooth)!

I've always been a proud Mac OS user. I like Mac OS very much, it's a perfect system. But Apple can be very frustrating when forcing people to upgrade by making the equipment (and the software) outdated. It's a shame that a good and powerful Power Mac G5, for instance, can't run Snow Leopard (no to mention Lion) just because Apple decided not to use PPC's anymore. You are forced to buy an Intel Mac to be updated. This is just until they decide something else again, and your Intel computers become garbage at their eyes. And so on.

Meanwhile, I began to hear about the Linux concept and it's great stability and performance (having Windows in mind, I thought that there was no other serious OS besides Mac OS...), and about the open source and free software. I also heard that most of the most popular Linux distributions are PPC-friendly. So I decided to try Linux. I still love Mac OS, but I'm willing to try Linux (YDL) seriously so that it can be my preferred OS.

Is it possible? Can YDL replace Mac OS 10.5.8 for a normal user?

I would also like to ask some more questions:

1 - what's the future of YDL, since Apple stopped making PPC's? Will there always be (well, ate least for predictably a long time) updates for our PPC's? Will it be usable with Intel's when the last PPC's die? So, can I move to YDL and expect it to be my future OS?

2- I have an ASUS WL-167G USB wireless adapter, which YDL is not finding. How can I install it's drive so that it can be used (now I'm using an ethernet cable connected to a Macbook with Airport connected)

3 - Do you know how can we use Dropbox in YDL?

Thanks!
Power Mac G4 AGP (Sawtooth). 1.6 Ghz processor. 2 GB RAM. Geforce 6200. YDL 6.2. HD's: 160 GB (YDL 6.2) and 400 GB (Mac OS 10.5.8)
canhoto
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: The future of YDL, Asus adapter and Dropbox

Postby billb » 27 Sep 2011, 19:15

canhoto wrote:1 - what's the future of YDL, since Apple stopped making PPC's? Will there always be (well, ate least for predictably a long time) updates for our PPC's? Will it be usable with Intel's when the last PPC's die? So, can I move to YDL and expect it to be my future OS?

Unfortunately, official support/updates for YDL 6.2 on PowerPC has already been dropped and I'm not aware of any future PowerPC Linux releases from Fixstars. End of support for YDL 6.2 is mentioned in this mailing list post:

http://lists.fixstars.com/pipermail/yel ... -April.txt
Fixstars remains committed to providing updates and support for it's
PowerPC and Cell Linux products through the end of the scheduled
lifetime. For YDL 6.2, updates will continue until the end of July 2010
and for YDEL 6.1, updates will continue until end of April 2012.

Fixstars' focus appears to have moved to YDL for CUDA (Intel CPU + GPU Computing)
http://www.ydl.net/ydl_cuda/

Re: your other two questions, I have no experience with USB wireless adapters on YDL as I have been primarily a PS3 YDL user.

Dropbox might be possible, but there are no PPC Linux installers available so it would have to be something you build on your own -- see here: http://www.dropbox.com/downloading?os=lnx
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Beginner