Respositories

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

Respositories

Postby canhoto » 03 Oct 2011, 23:41

Hi.

How do we add a new repository to look for software?

Which repositories do we recommend me to add?

Thanks
Power Mac G4 AGP (Sawtooth). 1.6 Ghz processor. 2 GB RAM. Geforce 6200. YDL 6.2. HD's: 160 GB (YDL 6.2) and 400 GB (Mac OS 10.5.8)
canhoto
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Respositories

Postby ppietro » 04 Oct 2011, 05:44

canhoto wrote:Hi.

How do we add a new repository to look for software?

Which repositories do we recommend me to add?

Thanks

Well - for a long time - we recommended the Fedora Extras/Livna/Dribble combination. See here: Howto: Install software (the easy way) YDL 6

However - they haven't been updated in a long time, and there's some issues with them and YDL 6.2.

But - our own billb has a created a repository that should work. He basically created it to replace Livna & Dribble. And unlike previous versions of YDL, 6.2 includes Fedora Extras in the Yellow Dog Extras repository. So - the stock YDL repositories + ps3bodega should be all you need.

Instructions for setting it up are here:
http://pleasantfiction.ipower.com/bodeg ... f=28&t=555

NOTE: I know it's for the PS3, but software that we create for the PS3 should work on the Mac as well. With a few rare, rare exceptions, PS3 Linux programs are compiled for generic PowerPC, not optimized for PS3.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Respositories

Postby billb » 04 Oct 2011, 17:42

ppietro wrote:NOTE: I know it's for the PS3, but software that we create for the PS3 should work on the Mac as well. With a few rare, rare exceptions, PS3 Linux programs are compiled for generic PowerPC, not optimized for PS3.

Yes -- I use it for my Mac as well. :) The only applications I can think of that would be problematic are scaler and fscaler (used to "zoom in" on the display and apply filters with assistance from the Cell's SPEs).

Also, in most cases I leave OpenGL support in anything I've built for the repo even though the PS3 can't take advantage of it.
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Beginner