I cannot edit my yaboot.conf file

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

I cannot edit my yaboot.conf file

Postby wewhitt » 22 Dec 2011, 20:19

Hello there,
I have several FAQs open that have several methods to editing the yaboot.conf file to set it up to automatically use the OSX operating system as my default boot up OS; however, I cannot open the yaboot.conf file to even look at it - let alone edit it. There is a big old red "not" sign in the upper right corner of the icon, and it's telling me I do not have permission to edit this file. What am I doing wrong that would prevent me from having complete admin rights over the whole machine. I just installed Yellow Dog today, and the only password that I have setup is the "root" password during the install - the same one that I used to log in. What would be awesome is a walk through so that I can setup yaboot - and get on with learning the linux operating system.

Thanks,

Bill
wewhitt
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: I cannot edit my yaboot.conf file

Postby ppietro » 25 Dec 2011, 04:28

wewhitt wrote:the only password that I have setup is the "root" password during the install - the same one that I used to log in.

It's my suspicion that you've created a root account and a standard user account with the same passwords. You have to log in as root to edit that file - not as a standard user.

Try this - instead of the name you're using to login - say it's "wewhitt" - use the login "root" (minus the quotes) and the root password you entered during setup. Then, you should be able to edit the file.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Beginner