PPC Install, flash does not work

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

PPC Install, flash does not work

Postby ardentangel » 29 Nov 2012, 22:54

Greetings from a not so new Linux user,

I just installed YDL on my g4 Mac and so far it is working wonderfully, except for two things: First I have limited flash capability. I have tried several things to get a flash that works for me, but have not had any success. I have a browser game that requires flash 10 and I would also like to watch videos now and then. Though I am not new to Linux, I would request that all instructions assume I am a complete newbie.

Along these same lines, my second issue is that Firefox seems to be the only browser available. This infuriates me to no end, but I will not expound on my loathing of Firefox, I only wish to find a suitable alternative. I love seamonkey and wish to find either a version of it that will work on YellowDog for PPC, or something similar.

If I can get this machine to run this minimum, I will be installing YDL on a mac mini, so let me know if the fix will work on both (if needed).

To summarize: I am running YDL for PPC on a g4 mac. I am not new to linux, but I am new to YD and answers must be complete.
ardentangel
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: PPC Install, flash does not work

Postby ppietro » 30 Nov 2012, 08:45

ardentangel wrote:I just installed YDL on my g4 Mac and so far it is working wonderfully, except for two things: First I have limited flash capability. I have tried several things to get a flash that works for me, but have not had any success. I have a browser game that requires flash 10 and I would also like to watch videos now and then.

Hiya & welcome!

To start, here's a post about running Flash on PowerPC Linux. It's written for the PS3, but it's applicable to any PowerPC Linux:

YouTube, Flash and the PS3

The quick summary is - you're out of luck. :(

Don't feel bad - the x86 Linux folks aren't in much better shape. Adobe has announced that "Flash Player 11.2 is the last supported Flash Player version for Linux. Adobe will continue to provide security updates." From now on, the only updates to Flash for Linux will be in Chrome, via Pepper.

ardentangel wrote:Along these same lines, my second issue is that Firefox seems to be the only browser available.

YDL 6 is based on CentOS 5 which in turn is based on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5. I won't go into all of the details here, but basically, Firefox is the only browser Red Hat includes in their distributions, so we do community re-builds of it here.

You can, of course, build other browsers from source code in YDL - assuming there's PowerPC support for the builds.

And - it has to support Enterprise Linux build systems - which are not the same as other Linuxes. Enterprise Linux tools - like gcc, make, ld, glibc, etc. - are purposely held back about three years from "cutting edge" distributions like Fedora. (More about that here: Red Hat Enterprise Linux)

Unfortunately, this rules out Chromium builds - they don't provide PowerPC support, nor do they work with the RHEL 5 toolchain. See here: Chrome on PowerPC and Chromium for CentOS5/RHEL5

I'm not sure about SeaMonkey - but if you can find a CentOS/RHEL 5.x SRPM, you could try building it. Hopefully it has PowerPC support. I can give you some suggestions for the SPEC files based on the work I do rebuilding Firefox.

Hope this helps! Sorry I don't have better news for you. :(

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Beginner