I can't figure out how to start sshd

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

I can't figure out how to start sshd

Postby 8bitsofascii » 25 Feb 2013, 21:03

I tried to start sshd but command not found.

so i went back to the GUI and checked and all the OpenSSH stuff is installed. I might have requested the server to be installed. Anyway, everything is installed now.

All I want to do is open a session on my LAN so that I can type on my iPad using iSSH and other such terminals and connect to my iBook (the ibook screen and keyboard are getting pretty old) and my desk space is getting cluttered (real desk).

Googling around, 10 out of 10 search results point back to the same MAN page that tells me nothing... using terminology before defining it.

Help.
8bitsofascii
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: I can't figure out how to start sshd

Postby ppietro » 26 Feb 2013, 00:22

Sorry - I'm kinda pressed for time, but I wanted to respond with something. If this isn't detailed enough, hopefully someone else can step in.

If you installed sshd via YUM (or you manually downloaded and installed the Yellow Dog sshd RPMs), this is a quick and easy way to get it running.

NOTE: These instructions are only valid for YDL. They might work on other systems - but there's enough variance in Linux that I can't guarantee it. YDL is a recompile of Red Hat Enterprise Linux, via the CentOS re-compile, so this should work on Red Hat or CentOS systems.

Log into your system as root user. (i.e. At the login screen, use root as the username and the system password you created during installation as the password.)

Open up a terminal window, and type the following:

chkconfig sshd on
service sshd start

That should do it.

How this works: If you install the RPM/YUM version of sshd, it also installs a special Red Hat service start script. chkconfig can use a small text block inside the script to set sshd to run automatically at boot time. (Type a chkconfig --list sshd to see what run-levels it assigns.)

Next, we use Red Hat's built in serivce manager to start it. You can check the status using the same command: service sshd status

Good luck!

Cheers,
Paul

P.S. NOTE: If you built sshd from scratch, this may or may not work. It all depends if the sshd build installed the Red Hat service start script. Some source code includes it, some doesn't.
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: I can't figure out how to start sshd

Postby 8bitsofascii » 26 Feb 2013, 02:21

Thank you Internet friend! :-)

Many bushels of good Karma to you!

I typed the two commands you listed and it worked great.

Then I typed sudo ifconfig to get my local IP address.

Using that, I connected via my iPad successfully! (I accepted the "thing" whatever it sent; I assume it is a uniquely generated public key or some other such authenticator for this particular machine).

[Started new topic regarding port forwarding my router to my sshd machine]
8bitsofascii
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to Beginner