How to harden YDL machine for port forwarding?

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

How to harden YDL machine for port forwarding?

Postby 8bitsofascii » 26 Feb 2013, 23:01

Hello,

Is there any firewall functionality in Linux and, specifically, YDL?

If I do not explicitly run any daemons, there should be no listeners on any ports, for attack right?

1) If I want to port forward my router to my iBook so I can access using ssh while outside (on iPhone or iPad), what ports should I *only* forward, and how should I harden my iBook itself?

2) Related: How to I get a list of processes running that are listening on ports or otherwise active network-wise?

Thanks.
8bitsofascii
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: How to harden YDL machine for port forwarding?

Postby ppietro » 27 Feb 2013, 06:51

8bitsofascii wrote:Is there any firewall functionality in Linux and, specifically, YDL?

If you've done a basic install of YDL, there is a built-in firewall you can use.

Assuming you're using a PowerPC based computer, with the default Enlightenment environment, click the (Yellow Dog) --> Applications --> System Tools --> Security Level and Firewall. The "Security Level Configuration" dialog box will open, and you can enable the Firewall, and open up ports from there.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: How to harden YDL machine for port forwarding?

Postby 8bitsofascii » 27 Feb 2013, 07:09

Actually now that you bring it up, my YDL install on my iBook G4 was not exactly smooth. Definitely not like what I read in the install docs, where it mentions you will see a GUI prompt or something and ask you for initial setup, agreeing to some license, etc. I did *some* of that via a text screen and there was no "new machine setup" process. In fact I got a couple of errors but it eventually landed me in the CLI. From there, I issued a startx and added some more apps from the GUI add software preference.

I assume I have the firewall and other things installed.
8bitsofascii
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to Beginner