RPM Question

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

RPM Question

Postby relet » 19 Feb 2014, 09:37

[MODERATOR NOTE: Sorry - we don't allow topic piggybacking. I've split this into a new question for you. Paul]

Can some one Please help to explain the function of this command:

rpm -ivh http://pleasantfiction.ipower.com/ps3li ... noarch.rpm

I typed it in my terminal, nothing happened. But when I want to print my document from open office, the printer was gone, I went to printer manager, the New Printer button is dim, when I run the Dosbox, keyboard frozen, when I close the Dosbox window, the ps3 frozen, have to use the back switch to shut it down.
How can I undo this command?
Thanks.
relet
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Re: RPM Question

Postby ppietro » 19 Feb 2014, 17:23

relet wrote:Can some one Please help to explain the function of this command:

rpm -ivh http://pleasantfiction.ipower.com/ps3li ... noarch.rpm

I typed it in my terminal, nothing happened. But when I want to print my document from open office, the printer was gone, I went to printer manager, the New Printer button is dim, when I run the Dosbox, keyboard frozen, when I close the Dosbox window, the ps3 frozen, have to use the back switch to shut it down.
How can I undo this command?
Thanks.

Sure! RPM is our base package management tool. It's the low level program that our Add/Remove Software program uses "behind the scenes" to add or remove programs, add missing libraries, etc. Command line explanation: the -i argument is install, the -v is visible, the -h is print hash marks on the screen while you're doing the install.

What you did with this command is add the PS3Bodega repository to your system. That's it - it shouldn't have affected your printer or dosbox or anything.

You should be able to use add/remove software to uninstall it - look for something installed under the name ps3bodega, although - really - you shouldn't have to. It sounds to me like you might have other issues on your system. Were you doing anything else at the time?

You can also remove it via RPM directly - but you'd need to know the isntalled package name for that. billb - do you know offhand what the package installs as?

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby relet » 20 Feb 2014, 02:53

Thanks so very much Paul for the quick reply.
I recall after I type the command, I then check my System Monitor, and found the User memory jumped from around 20% to 40%, so I guessed that must be some extra Background Services made it, so I might have deleted few.
I would like to fix the printer first, is the printer setup relied on some Background Services?
My ps3 using my Win2k computer's printer through the LAN, some smb//(ip address) in the printer set up window, but they all gone, I remembered. My smb Background Service is enabled.
Thanks.
relet
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby ppietro » 20 Feb 2014, 08:51

relet wrote:Thanks so very much Paul for the quick reply.
I recall after I type the command, I then check my System Monitor, and found the User memory jumped from around 20% to 40%, so I guessed that must be some extra Background Services made it, so I might have deleted few.
I would like to fix the printer first, is the printer setup relied on some Background Services?
My ps3 using my Win2k computer's printer through the LAN, some smb//(ip address) in the printer set up window, but they all gone, I remembered. My smb Background Service is enabled.
Thanks.

It's been a long time since I set up printers, but - yes - they require background services. They used to require a service called LPD - line printer daemon - to work: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_Prin ... n_protocol has more info about it. I'm pretty sure Yellow Dog uses this - but not 100% - like I said - it's been a while since I've set up printers.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby billb » 21 Feb 2014, 17:40

ppietro wrote:billb - do you know offhand what the package installs as?

Not sure and don't have access to my ps3 at the moment. Should be able to find the exact name with:

Code: Select all
rpm -qa | grep -i ps3bodega-release

I think it's:

ps3bodega-release-6.2-2.noarch

So to erase it (if that's the exact name):

su

<root password>

rpm -e ps3bodega-release-6.2-2.noarch

But as Paul already mentioned, installing the ps3bodega repo release package shouldn't have affected anything. It just adds a couple of files to /etc/yum.repos.d which let the software installer know where to download from.
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby relet » 22 Feb 2014, 01:14

Thank you so very much indeed Paul, it is great!
I couldn't find LPD in the Background Services, I decided to read into them one by one, then found the "cups", and enabled it, all the printer set up and the printer returns :D I don't really know what is CUPS and I am using only SMB, no idea why they are related, anyway it works.
So, you are right, the "yum" has nothing to do with the printer and the keyboard in Dosbox. I was just stupid enough to have disabled the CUP, and because my ps3 controller was also connected, the Dosbox told me to use the controller rather than the keyboard, when I got off the controller, the Dosbox works as normal.
I now have the last one need help to fix, the Add/Remove Software, it has been long dead, when I open it, it says Unable to retrieve Software Information. Any way to fix?
Thanks.
relet
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby ppietro » 26 Feb 2014, 09:48

relet wrote: I don't really know what is CUPS and I am using only SMB, no idea why they are related, anyway it works..

In UNIX, you need software to actually handle the print job from the program doing the printing. Originally it was LPR/LPD, but that system is pretty old. CUPS would be the replacement. Even though you're using SMB, something has to queue the print job from the program, and send it to the SMB printer. That would be CUPS.

You can read more about CUPS here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CUPS

A computer running CUPS is a host that can accept print jobs from client computers, process them, and send them to the appropriate printer.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby relet » 03 Dec 2014, 08:49

Hi there,
it looks like the "Add/Remove Software" and "Software Update" died again, still have any chance to fix it :(
Thanks.
relet
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby ppietro » 03 Dec 2014, 21:25

relet wrote:Hi there,
it looks like the "Add/Remove Software" and "Software Update" died again, still have any chance to fix it :(
Thanks.

Chances are, probably not. :(

I'll see if there are any servers with Yellow Dog repositories left, and update this thread if I'm able to connect.

Otherwise, we're probably done with online services, except for 3rd party repos like PS3 bodega, etc.

Sorry- I wish I had better news for folks.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ppietro » 05 Dec 2014, 21:51

ppietro wrote:
relet wrote:Hi there,
Thanks.

Chances are, probably not. :(

I'll see if there are any servers with Yellow Dog repositories left, and update this thread if I'm able to connect.

Otherwise, we're probably done with online services, except for 3rd party repos like PS3 bodega, etc.

Sorry- I wish I had better news for folks.

Cheers,
Paul

The servers I mentioned here seem to still be working:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9101&p=42856&sid=ff036f9fa77949c53e481acc8ac18786#p42855

Try these and see if that works for you.

Their server note mentioned that they were having hard disc trouble - and they were down for awhile - but it looks like they've restored service. This may have been why you were having issues.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Beginner